donkeyboy30

AFF Training Spain

Has anyone been trained via the Freefall University in Spain??, if so I was just after your general thoughts about location, staff, value for money as I'll be coming from the UK??

thanks (hope this is the right forum to post)

-----------------------------------------------
"What goes up, must come down, but in style"

Has anyone been trained via the Freefall University in Spain??, if so I was just after your general thoughts about location, staff, value for money as I'll be coming from the UK??

No, I did my AFF here in the UK, but I know a few people who have done it abroad (both in Spain and the US).

I don't really know much about the Freefall University, but I would also recommend you look at Active Skydiving. Its run by Scotty Milne, and I know a few people who have done their AFF with him who all recommend it!

I haven’t heard much about the Freefall University but Bogwarrior who posts here occasionally is from there – you could try dropping him a PM?

Another option is somewhere like Winter Sun Skydiving or Phd Skydiving where British Instructors run courses abroad.

Lots of options – the main bit of advice I’d give you is to either choose an AFF course with a British instructor who will offer continuation in the UK or to speak to the UK dropzone you plan on jumping at when you come back to check that they will be happy with whatever course you do abroad and what they will want you to do to integrate you into the British system. Some dropzones can be a bit wary of students who have done AFF abroad and may want you to do one or more check out dives before they will let you jump there – just a point to be aware of.

hth!

Vicki

I did my AFF in Empuria - not with FreeFall though, but direct with the school/instructors at Empuria.

Found them excellent overall, highly recommend them - the atmosphere and place is on a different level to the UK (in my limited experience). If you do decide to do it there, you'll have an awesome time.

Check http://www.skyrats.com for info - you can phone and book direct with them.

Feel free to ask/PM me if you want any more info...
---
One life...Use it.

I did my AFF with Kevin from the freefall company, The poor guy had to teach me to skydive, and I used to fall like a dead cat in the air, So I can only say he put up with a lot of crap, making me into a safe if not naturally good skydiver,

He is definately worth giving a call to , or visit his website, www.freefallco.co.uk

and Empuria is a fun place to go to jump anyway, whoever you learn with, the problem is someties the nightlife interferes with getting up in the morning, tho, an early jump, can sure get the fuzziness outa your head,

Have fun, and if you see Kev or Mike say Hi from me,
cheers

Fly like an aardvark

the only thing that is a right pain in empuria is the wind, in the summer it gets up ion the afternoon and then dies down, and there is a wind that can come in for a few days that stops everyone jumping, except for the russian team, who will pretty much jump in anything, lol
Fly like an aardvark

Yeah, the wind can be a bit of a problem if it starts blowing out to sea (unsurprisingly, they don't like the possibility of students getting blown over the town!)

Having said that, I went for a week and completed AFF in two days! (three including groundschool) - and had a few (ahem) hangovers to contend with during the week too!

Do it...You'll have a blast!
---
One life...Use it.

AFF out in Seville (Skydive Spain)...its inland...so the winds are usually stable...great weather most of the year....Brit run small DZ with very experienced Instructors whose aim is to get you where you wanna be....cant fault them

Hello Donkeyboy30

I know perfectly the Freefall university and they are awesome I wouldnt think twice check more info about them at www.freefalluniversity.com

The Drop zone where are located is very very very nice, the staff, the facilities, even with pool...swoop pond... is an spectacle. more info www.skydivelillo.com

The night life with BBQ, and the sunsets are to live them.

Good Luck and enjoy your AFF

Hi donkeyboy30,

I did my AFF there last easter, and it was one of the best experiences in my life. Not only because I've discovered this wonderful sport, but also because of the wrapper: the DZ is greatly managed, the facilities are great (even with a large swoop pond, which I don't use due to my short experience, but it's cool to watch the pros) and the people are wonderful. It's funny how, in the middle of Spain, you can find people from so many different nationalities (sometimes I hear more english than spanish there).

Now it is my home DZ, and the place where I have the most fun... even when I'm not skydiving!!

si en la cama hay un castor, dormirá con más calor

Hi,

David here. I run the Freefall University and we are based in Skydive Lilo. You are welcome to call my UK office on
020 70 600 174
to have a chat with us about what we do and how we do it. AFF is more than eight jumps ! Alternatively you can request an information pack via our website which is The Freefall University - 45mins South of Madrid

hey mate...

the freefall University is an excellent place to start your AFF as you will be with professional staff and have use of excellent facilties... but what makes this company special in my opinion is the personal one on one touch from David and Lucy...from the minute your plane lands to you buying your graduation beers you will be looked after...Give them a call....
the dropzone is fantastic and has great weather and a very relaxed enviroment with swimming pool and bar...All the staff and customers mingle together and the place is free from egos and bullshit that plague most DZ's in the world...

PM me if you need help or have any questions... I have also sent you my mobile number if you want to chat...

The Freefall University Course is run in accordance with the guidelines of the British Parachute Association, and includes eight levels.

it doesnt actually say anywhere on the site about BPA instructors. Running in accordence to the ops manual means jack if the instuctors arent BPA

Ally,

Approximatley 50% of our business comes from referrals from people who are currently jumping on UK dropzones. Donkeyboy, I would suggest calling the DZ where you would like to jump when you are finished your course and asking them will they accept the qualification we offer you.

Best Wishes,

David

I would suggest calling the DZ where you would like to jump when you are finished your course and asking them will they accept the qualification we offer you.

I was wondering what this qualification was as mentioned on the website it doent mention wether the qualifaction is a BPA qualifaction such as awarded by a BPA advanced instructor. (ie Cat 8 FAI british A licence)

We can issue an FAI A license. We do not have a BPA advanced insrtuctor on Staff.

I do believe that there is no such thing as a BPA course abroad , as a BPA course can only be run at a BPA affiliated DZ. Only a centre that is based in the UK can affiliate. We have checked...

We are a USPA Centre with USPA staff, who have been quite happily training people from the UK who have not had a difficulty on their return at integrating into the UK system. Sibson, Nethers, Cark , South Cerney , Headcorn, Tilstock, Peterlee Hinton, Hibalstow , and Wild Geese to name but a few DZ's where our graduates have jumped and recieved their license without a problem ( or check jump ).

The fact that we are not affiliated to the BPA has for us , or our clients ( 50% of whom take a second or third holiday with us ) has not an been an issue.

We provide a quality alternative for people wishing to train abroad on a week long camp.

I hope I have clarified , both the question and real issues for you.

quite correct David..... as long as the AFF course graduates fullfill the requirments of the cat 8 jump and the consols as outlined withing BPA rules they have no problem what so ever when they return to the UK as nearly all CCI´s in the UK are aware of course´s run abroad and who runs them and the strict course structure that USPA runs and the standard of professionalism of the instructors who run them....

quite correct David..... as long as the AFF course graduates fullfill the requirments of the cat 8 jump and the consols as outlined withing BPA rules they have no problem what so ever when they return to the UK as nearly all CCI´s in the UK are aware of course´s run abroad and who runs them and the strict course structure that USPA runs and the standard of professionalism of the instructors who run them....

But the qualification or licence you award is different from a BPA one. As i understand it, it will take take these non BPA students more jumps than the BPA system. BPA AFF cat 8 and FAI A (British standard) takes minimum 18 jumps. If you are awarding the FAI A international it takes minimum 25 jumps amongst other things so does the USPA FAI A. Both also require the student to have "completed five group freefall skydives involving at least two participants" [2004 SIM]. The problem arises when people who for what ever reason do not finish foreign systems come back to the UK to be told that they have to redo or have a check out jump. I have seen this happen alot at different DZ's from students who have returned from France, Italy and Spain. It is not also guaranteed that a student is accepted as is stated in the BPA ops manual:

"
Student Parachutists trained outside the BPA system will be at the discretion of the CCI.
"

My opinion of this is that while AFF is the answer, as it has been designed to be completed in quick succession, which normally best suits the weather abroad, it is better for all concerned that BPA qualifactions are awarded. Why risk it?

There are things that we can , and do do to ensure that our graduates dont have a difficulty. I have today spoken with the CCI of Old Bucks ( where donkey boy is hoping to jump when finished ). He was pleased to recieve our call and confirmed that skills transferance would not be an issue for our AFF graduates, provided they had passed our course and completed their consols.

I am posting this for the public record only.

Ally, you are assuming that AFF students abroad get a license. My understanding is that to gain a BPA license the signature of a CCI is needed. How many foreign DZ's have a BPA CCI. The fact is that the vast majority of graduate from whatever programme apply for a license when they return home?

I do accept that there is the theoritical risk of a check jump to ensure the standards required are met. This is however also the case if a student who has not completed their consols at one BPA DZ in the UK moves to another one to complete their consols.

" Why risk it " ? As you put it. I do not consider that the ' risk component ' to be all that much. I have on our records only two cases where check jumps were completed by our students in the UK and this would have been the case even if it were an inter BPA DZ student transfer. But why ? Well the cost argument for one , but this is not the only reason I would suggest people come on our course. My principal argument is quality.

The principal point is that the requirements are met and 98% of our graduates have not had a problem.

It is quite correctly at the discretion of the CCI what happens when a student turn up having trained anywhere else . This is correctly so , and is one of many reasons I have a lot of respect for the BPA system.

....they have no problem what so ever when they return to the UK as nearly all CCI´s in the UK are aware......

Ummm. "Nearly all" being the operative words, When I returned from Sebastian with a completed AFF and 10 consoles I went to the nearest UK DZ, quite a big one, to rent kit, jump and get the signature from the head of the AFF school / CCI to get BPA A licence. Was told would have to re take a few levels as wasn't happy with that qualification - no mention of any check out jump - He went on to say that under BPA rules I wasn't allowed to jump as over weight limit etc.. etc.. even though kit same size as used before. He did say however that he was an agent for certain manufacturers and could sell me "whatever size I needed" and jump that. The guy was an absolute cock with his head stuck right up his arse, so after some frank exchanges of e-mails where he withdrew his kind offer to sell me a rig and suggested I pay for his time and advice. I went elsewhere. (Hinton, no problems at all there).

I also checked out the BPA rules and the guy was talking shite, now he really should have known better ;)

Wow, a year later and I still rant about it, sometimes you look at the UK DZs and wonder why they are quite so anal. I would actually recommend to anybody go get your AFF abroad. You may come back and find the odd prick who'll look down their nose but fuckem all !!

"Life is a bowl of deadly nightshade, stay way way out on the rim brother"

thanks (hope this is the right forum to post)

I graduated AFF at the Freefall University 2 months ago and was back last weekend to do their Formation Skydiving Course. The school and dropzone professionals in general have a strong emphasis on safety as well as thorough and professional instruction. Staff are relaxed and friendly. The town has plenty of decent (and very reasonably priced) bars and restaurants.
Overall I'd have no hesitation in recommending the FreeFall University as a place to learn to skydive.