Ron

Wingload BSR

I have also noticed that I can't find anyone posting here that seems to think THEY need any sort of regulation. It's always someone else. Some have done canopy class, but few would ever admit they might not be as good at canopy control as they should be

I'll stand up and admit that I'm not nearly as good at canopy control as I should be. Actually, I suck at canopy control. That's why I jump a 1.0 wingloaded Spectre and tend to land away from the main landing area.

I've got 900+ jumps and wouldn't have a problem with USPA limiting the wingloading or type of canopy I can jump.

Actually, I suck at canopy control.

Gotta ask, then, Lis....why not take a canopy control class? Really curious, and no disrespect intended at all. But why not?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I have also noticed that I can't find anyone posting here that seems to think THEY need any sort of regulation. It's always someone else. Some have done canopy class, but few would ever admit they might not be as good at canopy control as they should be

I'll stand up and admit that I'm not nearly as good at canopy control as I should be. Actually, I suck at canopy control. That's why I jump a 1.0 wingloaded Spectre and tend to land away from the main landing area.
Didn't you just downsize from a 170 to 150 young lady? If you get hurt or worse its going to come down as a downsizing before you should have issue instead of just needs more training period type situation. Although I personaly have faith in you and know you will behave accordingly. You know as well as I do that all of our peers will slam our name without restraint if we hurt ourselves in a recent downsizing. Glen

Gotta ask, then, Lis....why not take a canopy control class?

Excuses... I was going to before the guys took off this month but ended up going on a trip with a whuffo friend. It's definitely in my plans for this summer, but now I have to wait for them to get off the road.

Didn't you just downsize from a 170 to 150 young lady?

Um, no. I upsized from a Safire 149 to a Spectre 170 when I got back in the air in 2002 after back surgery. I don't intend to downsize at all in the future (assuming that I don't lose those extra 20 pounds ;)).

Excuses... I was going to before the guys took off this month but ended up going on a trip with a whuffo friend. It's definitely in my plans for this summer, but now I have to wait for them to get off the road.

Kewl. Funny but I had never asked you about that! LOL...glad to hear it's your intention...

Ciels-
Michele

Yes this can be a hurdle even here at our big DZ now imagine you are from a small isolated DZ. Seems we want to place restrictions with an option to out based on something there is no infrastructer for. Very dubious indeed.

The other part of the "out" is the ability to have the local safety officer or I/E sign off (if they're competent to do so). Mainly because there are clubs where there isn't a class infrastructure.

And if there is no one more experienced to sign off, maybe the leading edge isn't the place for a candidate without a D license to be experimenting.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes this can be a hurdle even here at our big DZ now imagine you are from a small isolated DZ. Seems we want to place restrictions with an option to out based on something there is no infrastructer for. Very dubious indeed.

Several proposals have been made that provide for the creation of an infrastructure. If we already had qualified canopy control instructors/coaches at every dz in the US we wouldn't be having this debate.

If we already had qualified canopy control instructors/coaches at every dz in the US we wouldn't be having this debate.

I don't think that's altogether true, Lisa.

Just because the coaches are available doesn't mean someone will take advantage of them and get the education. Look around at the larger DZs, and see what's happening whether or not the availability is present...

It's about accessing the education, I think. Not the availability, but the availing of it.

Glen has a point when he says the plan has an inherent flaw, and favors those who jump at a bigger DZ...and while Wendy rebuts it, what if the S&TA doesn't have the training and/or experience to sign off, and then signs off anyway (which might happen)? The person thinks he's fine to jump something, has it in his log book (or whatever) that he can, and then goes and lowturns in under a light wingloading...and the family goes and sues the S&TA and every other available person...

If there was a way around that, then I might be more in favor of it.

As it stands, I am strongly in favor of education...but how to make sure people get that is still mostly beyond me.

Ciels-
Michele

Ciels-
Michele

Several proposals have been made that provide for the creation of an infrastructure. If we already had qualified canopy control instructors/coaches at every dz in the US we wouldn't be having this debate.

We do indeed have qualified instruction but not everyone has "extreme canopy experienced instruction". Billvon or anyone like him can teach some basic canopy life saving stuff. But if I want to surf like Heath I better hook up with him then. I 've seen a few of the "big dogs from the tour" taking some fine tuning courses from our jim and our boys and they had to travel to do it.
I would seek very specific training from clint if I was going to entertain any attempt at real swooping, nothing else would do, IMO.

It's about accessing the education, I think. Not the availability, but the availing of it.

Well, sure. But if it were already available at every dz a larger percentage of jumpers will take it. Making it mandatory for a particular license will assure that an even larger percentage of jumpers have taken it over time.

If it's not going to be required then we need to make getting canopy control education cool. I don't know how to do that.

what if the S&TA doesn't have the training and/or experience to sign off, and then signs off anyway (which might happen)?

That's why I like Derek's proposal to create a canopy instructor rating.

We do indeed have qualified instruction but not everyone has "extreme canopy experienced instruction". Billvon or anyone like him can teach some basic canopy life saving stuff. But if I want to surf like Heath I better hook up with him then. I 've seen a few of the "big dogs from the tour" taking some fine tuning courses from our jim and our boys and they had to travel to do it.

Back to another root of the problem - we have an ever increasing pool of talented "extreme" canopy pilots. Why isn't the information trickling down to other jumpers the way it does when you're learning RW or freeflying? How come you can get quality RW or freeflying coaching at (I'm estimating) 50% + of US dropzones but quality canopy control coaching - for everyone from just off student status to gonnabe swoop gods - is available at only a handful? How do we go about changing this situation?

Well, sure. But if it were already available at every dz a larger percentage of jumpers will take it. Making it mandatory for a particular license will assure that an even larger percentage of jumpers have taken it over time.

In a recent poll I stuck up in Canopy Control forum, only 27% of the jumpers had taken the class. You yourself haven't yet (not picking at you, Lis, just making a point). And you're at one of the biggest DZ with the best instructors around...

It hasn't been made mandatory, and will not under some of the proposals I've seen here. It's a numbers thing...at 100 jumps, X is allowed. At 200 jumps, Y..300? Z...but not mandatory training classes. You'd have to meet certain requirements, but it you picked it up from someone without going through the training, is that the same thing?

If it's not going to be required then we need to make getting canopy control education cool. I don't know how to do that.

By setting an example, by standing up and doing it...I have, to date, had 7 people tell me because of my talking about it, and doing it, they are taking a canopy control class. Yes, it was UNcool. You know what I dealt with. But there are at least 7 people who saw what the benefit was for me, and decided they could/should do it, too.

If it's mandatory, it is not about cool or uncool...and that's something I've spoken about for a bit now...

I understand what you're talking about, and I also clearly understand your intention. I am just not sure about the best way to go about it.

Ciels-
Michele

That's why I like Derek's proposal to create a canopy instructor rating.

You may create a canopy instructor rating but unless you clone someone who has developed clints delicate site picture its pretty much worthless to me. I've already sat in on a coversation from a couple of lads from an isolated DZ and watched the propagation of outright idiocy in regards to hp canopy flight. I have no dought that when JC went there he could have done much good, wonder how many took advantage of his visit.

> You may create a canopy instructor rating but unless you clone someone >who has developed clints delicate site picture its pretty much worthless to me.

Not worthless at all. You may indeed not learn Clint's "delicate site picture" but if you learn the basics of not killing yourself under a HP canopy, that's 90% of the battle. If you can prevent that, you can learn on your own - or get Clint, your choice. It would be bad if people avoided canopy control training because they could not get the one instructor that they want to swoop like.

:)

I was undecided at first, but the more I think about it the more firmly I come down in the "education" rather than "regulation" camp, mostly because you folks haven't made a convincing case for why your numbers are the right numbers except to say that Brian knows his stuff, nor have you come up with any kind of implementation or enforcement plan.

PS 1212 jumps, Stiletto 150 @1.4

Kallend,
I suggested the term "educate or regulate" some time back and it still stands true. As far as your comments concerning numbers my friend, all you need to do is go back 10-15 years and look at fatality causes. It moved from equipment problems to judgment problems. In days gone by you rarely saw an instructor in a fatality report simply due to the fact they regularly teach EMP's. Now you see all kind of rating holders busting themselves up due to poor training, education, or judgment.

Back to basics boys........... Educate or Regulate.

Blues,

J.E.

3200 jumps, Vengeance 107 @ 2.0:1
Stiletto 135 @ 1.6:1
James 4:8

;)Ron,
You are starting to argue just like BillyVon. He should be a politician as they can argue with anyone, fill a page full of unrelated comments, twist your questions into questions instead of answers, and they are always right.

One wise man once said..... "only a fool argues with a fool".

Educate or Regulate.

Blues,

J.E.

;)Chris,

You know as well as I do that we must educate or regulate. Mark's comments on speed, Bill's arguments on the space shuttle are all based upon a "frame of reference" that is known only by the person experiencing the situation. A shuttle pilot will feel like your RJ is a slow little pig flying around the sky while a C-182 pilot will feel like he's riding a rocket in your RJ.
How do we move peoples "frame of reference" without gaining experience the old fashion way? (Experience is something you gain AFTER you have survived a situation where you needed it.)

Educate.

Everything else is just an argument for education.

Blues,

J.E.

There are no such parameters. Canopy injuries and fatalities are not caused by lack of reaction time, they are caused by lack of skill.

This contradicts your point about the space shuttle, does it not?

As skill increases (through education) speed of execution, reaction time, does increase.

Blues,

J.E.

Sorry Mark...................

I was undecided at first, but the more I think about it the more firmly I come down in the "education" rather than "regulation" camp, mostly because you folks haven't made a convincing case for why your numbers are the right numbers except to say that Brian knows his stuff, nor have you come up with any kind of implementation or enforcement plan.

PS 1212 jumps, Stiletto 150 @1.4

Kallend,
I suggested the term "educate or regulate" some time back and it still stands true. As far as your comments concerning numbers my friend, all you need to do is go back 10-15 years and look at fatality causes. It moved from equipment problems to judgment problems. In days gone by you rarely saw an instructor in a fatality report simply due to the fact they regularly teach EMP's. Now you see all kind of rating holders busting themselves up due to poor training, education, or judgment.

Back to basics boys........... Educate or Regulate.

Blues,

J.E.

3200 jumps, Vengeance 107 @ 2.0:1
Stiletto 135 @ 1.6:1

I don't think that anywhere I have suggested that people are not killing themselves under perfectly good canopies - in fact on my own web site I have a graph showing fatality trends over the last 12 years that indicates this pretty clearly.

What I am arguing is that the proponents of regulation have not made the case that it's low-time jumpers under small canopies that are responsible for this trend, yet that is who their regulation is targeted at. My concern is that we will have a whole new layer of regulation with extra responsibilites stuck to DZOs and S&TAs, which may be targeting the wrong group entirely.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Occasionaly Darwin should be allwoed to step in and take over.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

>You are starting to argue just like BillyVon. He should be a politician as
> they can argue with anyone, fill a page full of unrelated comments, twist
> your questions into questions instead of answers, and they are always right.

Naah, if I was a politician I'd just agree with you, promise you that fatalities will go down and you won't have to do a thing, and then blame someone else when they don't.

>One wise man once said..... "only a fool argues with a fool".

Heh.

>Educate or Regulate.

It is not a choice between those two. Unfortunately sometimes it takes regulation to get education. I would like to believe that it doesn't, but I still have a feeling that no one would get wet water training if it wasn't required.

I don't think a wingloading BSR is necessary. What problem is it really addressing?

The ISP specifically addresses canopy control.
If skydivers are making dangerous decisions flying/buying their canopy the S&TA ought to be taking some action. Seems to me that the education and regulation has been covered in the SIM.

Ken Flanagan
1.4 wl 470jumps
USPA coach, Senior Rigger
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

All good points Tony....

Question for you...

If these people you see at 500-9,999 jumps took a canopy control class...Would it make them better?

If some of these people were on bigger canopies...would it make them safer?

If some of these people didn't downsize so fast...would they have learned more?

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334