CRASH1

What a Cutaway....

CRASH1

After an uneventful freefly skydive from about 10k out of a Cessna, this jump became a little more interesting.

Tracked away and deployed in normal body position and then this happened....... https://vimeo.com/70301595

Learn from other peoples EPs and always be prepared to execute your emergency procedures.

You didn't mention the cause of the mal. Do you know?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

from the attached image, it looks like your right brake line is not routed through the guide ring. Can that be right? If so, not sure what it is routed through, because although it is not attached to the riser, it's not floating free in space.

Also, the elastic keeper for the bottom toggle tab appears to be partially detached.

Divalent

from the attached image, it looks like your right brake line is not routed through the guide ring.

I didn't check the video, but may be a type of swoop mod: Brakes set at normal point but line not thru ring. Instead it goes thru another ring higher up, right up by the slinks. Less restriction on brake line movement, whether in general or for front risering.

I had two premature brake releases on an 84 that opened great until the slider started coming down and then the turn started. But by some miracle it never spun up on me. It was always the left brakes too and sometimes i'd find it half unstowed. New risers fixed it. Weirdest thing that ever happened was my excess getting caught on my ball and bungee and twisting my riser because of the force, it looked like a step through on one side. I chopped early and high but whatever.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

CRASH1

Brake fire...

I stowed the brakes and then a packer packed it for me. I am guessing, unless he unstowed and restowed them improperly, that it just came loose on deployment.

Wasn't that the cause of your :D chop as well, except that you packed it? :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

mircan

What`s with the the rubber band on gopro(s)?

the latches on the GoPRos seem to release easier over time, a few have opened in Freefall and cameras have been lost. the band holds the latch closed.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My first thought was "pull down that bloody left rear riser!" If you'd done that in the first couple of seconds, you'd have saved yourself a cutaway.

Reason I mention it is that I've had multiple brakefires on a Samurai 135 loaded at 1.6 or so, and it looks really similar. Not that I'd recommend getting that much practice in; I'd recommend maintaining the toggle holders on one's risers instead :P.

bob.dino

My first thought was "pull down that bloody left rear riser!" If you'd done that in the first couple of seconds, you'd have saved yourself a cutaway.

You mean the bloody right riser, since it's the side that had the toggle premature release?

Good job on the save, it's hard to react fast enough to correct such spins and thanks for sharing the video.
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9