Quagmirian

Australian Parachute Federation - "Cutaway"

I don't know if this has already been posted, but it's only been up for two weeks.

Video Playlist

It's a nice video series that covers all malfunction scenarios. I don't know if this is a new series that's just been made or whether it's been around for ages and just uploaded recently. Maybe someone form Oz can help us out?

It's new. From the Description:

"Cutaway! Australian Parachute Federation's malfunction training video is designed to be used as an educational supplement to the required first jump course.
Featuring demonstrations by Australian skydiving champion, Michael Vaughan, it shows the different types of malfunctions that can occur and how to deal with them effectively using emergency procedures.

Produced, Directed and Edited by Andrew Forsyth
Written by Don Cross, Ralf Jaeger and Gary Myors
Aerial Performances by Michael Vaughan
Director of Aerial Photography Shane Sparkes
Safety Skydiver and Hand Model Rob Douthat
Director of Photography Craig Hardiman
Sound Design by Andrew Forsyth & Post OP Group
Graphics by Andy Eisenberg & Andrew Forsyth

The APF wishes to thank the following for their generous support:
Glenn Singleman, Don Cross, Mike Carre, Michael Vaughan, Jules McConnel, Paul "Poo" Smith, Jai Campion, Jo Chitty, Nigel Brennan, Simon "Sas" DiSiascio

Executive Producer Don Cross. Chief Instructor Skydive Nagambie.

Produced by Pemberton Productions Pty. Ltd. 2013
Proudly presented by the Australian Parachute Federation"

Fuzzwah

It seems they've busted the playlist by removing one of the videos.

I had no problems viewing all in the original playlist. (perhaps they fixed it after you made your comment).

This really should be cross posted in the Instructor's forum (with a more descriptive title).

IMO, getting some of those videos of actual mals took some real balls! I mean, who would actually volunteer to be the subject demonstrating how to fire your reserve into an actual horseshoe and into a PCIT?

They do teach the "cutaway-then-reserve" method for all mals (even hard/no pulls on the main), and the terminology/checklist they use for assessing your main after opening differs from what I was exposed to in the US. But these are great quality examples of the situations students need to be familar with and know how to handle. (And which more experienced jumper need to review from time to time). Most excellent.

Peter, never underestimate the craziness of people who do CRW. Read up on Michael he's an awesome jumper - was lucky enough to do a canopy course with him last month.

It's a brilliant video series.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

degeneration

Nice videos!

I'm currently on chapter 5, but so far it seems every problem ever can be solved by "2 full flares"!

:D I don't think that works on a PC in tow for some reason.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Divalent

IMO, getting some of those videos of actual mals took some real balls! I mean, who would actually volunteer to be the subject demonstrating how to fire your reserve into an actual horseshoe and into a PCIT?

What about waiting until 1,000 feet to pull, knowing that the reserve was also coming out?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

What about waiting until 1,000 feet to pull, knowing that the reserve was also coming out?

Which video? I missed that, but can't believe that was done. Are you sure an offset wasn't entered on the aad to simulate the situation?

nigel99

Which video? I missed that, but can't believe that was done. Are you sure an offset wasn't entered on the aad to simulate the situation?

It's in the 7th video, two times, but seems it's the same event doubled-up. Check it out at 0:45. What do you think of the altitude from looking at the ground? Looks low, but I'm not sure if it's 1,000 feet low. I guess a simulation makes more sense, but they've done a lot of crazy shit in those videos.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

***I guess a simulation makes more sense, but they've done a lot of crazy shit in those videos.

There's no "crazy shit" in any of the videos. the guy in the vids, is a professional skydiver HP canopy coach and test pilot.
As well as being arguably the best all round skydiver in the country.
Ill pretty much guarantee everything in those vids was very well planned in advance.
Michael is nobodies fool;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***I guess a simulation makes more sense, but they've done a lot of crazy shit in those videos.

There's no "crazy shit" in any of the videos. the guy in the vids, is a professional skydiver HP canopy coach and test pilot.
As well as being arguably the best all round skydiver in the country.
Ill pretty much guarantee everything in those vids was very well planned in advance.
Michael is nobodies fool;)

A carefully planned, risk assessed horseshoe is still crazy shit, just not stupid shit;)

By the way, it things like these videos and the apf incident reports that go along way to show that our higher membership fees are worth every cent. There aren't many skydiving bodies that provide this quality of service to their members and the skydiving community at large.

Quagmirian

That reminds me, I was going to ask. Are these emergency procedures standard for every APF dropzone?

The APF has standarised training
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sweet videos - they're getting downloaded!

I'm hoping someone will have subtitles or transcription for those videos somewhere, I'm deaf and don't understand the dialogue. Also would be useful for other deaf skydivers, present & future.

Did anyone else think it a bit strange that AFP isn't recommending you throw or otherwise attempt to clear the PC in a horseshoe? Would be interested in hearing from AFP - AFF guys on this. Is the idea that you don't want to teach any variation in the EPs in the FJC?
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

strife

Eddles

I might be telling you to suck eggs but have you tried turning on automatic captions in you tube.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/100078?hl=en

I just tried and it worked, but not sure if its what your looking for ?

Good idea, unfortunately they have to be enabled by the owner of the video - which for these videos, doesn't seem to have been done. Also, if you read the captions on other videos, you'll quickly figure out that they're based on voice recognition and is usually very inaccurate with occasionally laughable results. If you chance on those rare videos with perfect captions, chances are that it was transcribed by a human operator. Good try, though!

Squeak

***That reminds me, I was going to ask. Are these emergency procedures standard for every APF dropzone?

The APF has standarised training

Way to go DON !! Excellent training tool

I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

AdD

@Squeak - Do you retrain this at some later point, ie A license EP review?

From my personal experience ONLY.
Im a nosy fuck and seek out information, I have sought out and learned variations on the basic AFF EP teachings.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm also a believer in keeping it simple for FJC, but at some point I think the variations need to be introduced so that people can make an informed decision.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream