charlie225

1st AFF Jump completed today!!!

Hey Guys!!

Well, today i did my first level 1 aff jump!! What an experience!!
Basically..i zoned out..my instructor said i did well on a few things but my arch etc particukarly my legs(how far in the air they were) could be improved.

In essence i found it really really excilerating but was dissapointed on the mistakes i made.

I just wanted to hear some feelings on how you all did on your first aff's, just so hopefullhy i can see im not the only oje that was overloaded a bit!!!

Cheers......B|

In essence i found it really really excilerating but was dissapointed on the mistakes i made.

Mistakes, they will happen, just RELAX and they will go away.

My AFF wasn't perfect, I repeated level IV 3 times, I learned how to relax and POOF!!!, all gone.

Just take it easy, be safe and have fun, that's the secret. ;)

Basically..i zoned out..my instructor said i did well on a few things but my arch etc particukarly my legs(how far in the air they were) could be improved.

I just wanted to hear some feelings on how you all did on your first aff's, just so hopefullhy i can see im not the only oje that was overloaded a bit!!!B|

What did your instructor say about your concerns? Asking here is good but your instructor was there. They can make a much better estimate than anyone here about how zoned out you where.

I've done 33 jumps and still often forget what I'm meant to be doing in the air ('Okay, exited. Docked with coach. Oh yeah, the coach is motioning for me to barrel roll. Good thing he remembered the diveflow.') so your reaction seems normal. It took several jumps for me to find a nice arch, much longer than I expected.

1. Pull
2. Pull at the correct altitude
3. Pull stable

My first jump was a tandem and I zoned out...........I think for the first five seconds my head went through my ass.........bad sensory overload.

My first AFF went pretty well.....what a feeling not having been strapped to a tandem instructor. Where I did have problems, however, was with jump C-2 (1 JM release dive)....failed that one four times. It was just a matter of relaxation.

Just learn from your "mistakes"......that is why you have instructors and most of all - just have fun.

Hi Charlie,

I also just did my 1st AFF jump on Thursday. I had 5 tandems before that, and zoned out on # 2. Bad case of brain lock and had to be prompted with hand signals. The AFF went pretty well. Had a hand signal to put my legs out. The instructor said I was 'potato chipping' a little, probaly because I needed to relax more. The landing went pretty well, although I did not stand it up. I made some mistakes but had a blast, and can't wait to do some more levels. :)

good job on that first level! Don't worry I think its common to "zone out". I did on my first jump! Whew, good times, though! Just relax and have fun with it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I just wanted to hear some feelings on how you all did on your first aff's, just so hopefullhy i can see im not the only oje that was overloaded a bit!!!

Unfortunatly i didn't have the cash to have my AFF on video. :(

But take my word for it .. i was awesome. :P

Enjoy your training dude. ;)

My Logbook here

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

First AFF?
(This was jump 4 after three tandems BTW)

The JM wrote:

Good exit, good COA, good PRCP's, gave lrgs
out signal- no response. Started going for pull
just below 8000, could not find handle.

At 5.5 JM prompts for pull, good solo pull
at 5.5 Good canopy control and landing.
--oo

The debrief went something like:

"Why'd you go for the pull at 8k?"

"Beats the hell out of me. I knew I was pulling
at 5 something, maybe I was doing some math,
like 13,500 minus 5500 equals 8000? I don't know."

"And why didn't you pull at 5.5?"

"After I couldn't find the handle I figured you were
goinna pull for me, and I didn't want to get
tangled-up."

I didn't screw-up the canopy control- that came
latter- but as far as landing all I can say is they'd
have to drop me from a helluva lot higher than 13.5
for me to miss the planet.

Mistakes will be made, that's why it's called
"training", right? Congrats on your first jump!

[QUOTE]After I couldn't find the handle I figured you were
goinna pull for me[/QUOTE]

Don't EVER assume anyone is going to save your life by pulling for you. You're in charge of YOUR life. I'm sure your instructor told you that. Sounds like a good first dive, I tried to pull high too on my first dive for some odd reason (I was loving freefall I just didn't want to bust my hard deck). My instructor slapped my hand away at ~7k and gave me the relax signal. Sounds like you had fun! Are you ready to go up again!? :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Don't EVER assume anyone is going to save your life by pulling for you. You're in charge of YOUR life.

Correct. I think I would have pulled SOMETHING before I ran into anything large and heavy.
My concern at that time was that the JM might have
been pulling at the handle too. I swear he hid it
on me after the PRCP's!

Sounds like you had fun! Are you ready to go up again!?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but, man, everybody's asking me that (and "whereTF
YOU been?) Like I ended up on a milk carton...

I'll be out there this week.

Hey ! congratulations and welcome to Skydiving. Don't be dissapointed at the mistakes. They make you understand the sport much better and are important for the learning experience. I'm sure most here have had enough mistakes to deal with during their AFFs and even more later. The more I understand the sport the more I realize that I'm far from being perfect in any aspect of it. If Skydiving was that easy everyone walking on the road would be doing it. You are now part of a unique bunch of people so enjoy the experience and be open to learning and making mistakes and you'll do just fine. Enjoy the rest of your AFF because your life and your wardrobe as you know it is about to change.

Hey! Congrads on your first jump!! I just completed AFF1 & 2 this past weekend, and it was awesome! My awareness was good, On my first jump I also got the legs out prompt, and followed, but then they went back in again, haha. My first landing I flared too low, and was crosswind. I had to be prompted to do my test pulls on J1 cuz I had sorta forgotten them the first time, but then I did them. They told me I did great! Apparently many people zone out so it isn't uncommon that you did. Also, they tell me that many people don't end up pulling their own pilot out/ or rip cord. I'm sure you'll do fine. I sure can't wait to get back out there. I hope my ears will clear soon so I can go back. I'm praying by this wknd.

Have fun & congrads!! What a great sport!!
Angela