billvon

Canopy loading restrictions take 3

How did the Cypres increase our opening altitudes? I thought our snivelly canopies did that?

Well, I'm not Bill, but the number of experienced jumpers who used AADs before the Cypres was probably fairly insignificant. For all those reasons. Canopies weren't as snivelly before the 90's -- the only sniveler I remember from the early 80's was the Unit, and you could pack that to open a little faster.

So the drivers to opening altitudes were your perception of the possibility that things might go wrong (some people don't believe that can happen to them), the ration of shit that you took from friends when you went too low (of course, some thought it was cool), and the wrath of the DZO or S&TA (which had the BSRs to back them up).

Of course, some people figured that maybe they were, in fact, mortal, and just opened higher. So not everyone bounced in the "good old days."

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Help me understand. Prior to the Cypres, the AAD's we had were far less accurate, would fire under most canopies flown aggressively unless shut off, and created several dual deployments that I myself witnessed. How did the Cypres increase our opening altitudes? I thought our snivelly canopies did that

Until the CYPRES came along (and Tommy Piras bounced) nobody USED one of them unless so required (student or whatever).

With CYPRES aboard, low-pull contests became futile. People rapidly found out that deploying a little late was an invitation to discover personal CRW, and getting a repack and new cutter(s) every jump proved dear.

Snivelly canopies really didn't take hold until after the CYPRES was firmly established.

Blue skies,

Winsor