Rottenmilk

Lost Prairie Boogie vs. WFFC?

Well, I can only chose one event to attend this year due to financial constraints. As such, which would you folks recommend for the biggest bang for 'ya buck? Ie., the most jumps possible? Birdwoman, I believe you told me that it doesn't get dark in Montana until super late in the evening, thus allowing me to jump more? Also, what are some other pluses/minuses between the two boogies?
Thanx guys!
J.

not sure about the lost prairie boogie but theWFFC

1. Many diffrent aircraft
2. Mass amounts of liqure
3. Almost all the DZ.commers under one tent
4. 10 days of skydiving instead of a weekend
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Hey Jeff

From what I've heard Lost Prairie is a kick ass boogie (lot's of partying plus good jumping opportunities) and never having experienced either Lost Prairie or WFFC I'm in the same boat as to not knowing which one to attend. I chose WFFC because more DZ.COMers will be there and I wanted to experience the biggest boogie available.

But to address the Montana late evenings. I'm not sure if Kalispell MT (the closest reasonably big town) is in the mountain time zone or in the Pacific time zone (In think it's mountain). Either way the sun will be setting there late, but especially if it's in the mountain time zone. Calgary (where I'm kind of from) is more north but not as far west as Kalispell. So in mid to late July the sun is probably setting in the 10:00-10:30 pm time frame and rising sometime around 5ish. It's definitely a long day. Plus MT won't have the humidity that Illinois will have. Hey Peter will probably be at Lost Prairie (the boy is a maniac for that sort of thing being the professional student and all), but he's told me that he'll be at Rantoul for sure (assuming him and Ryan come back from down under later this month).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think it ends up being an issue of personal preference. I prefer Lost Prairie. I don't need to jump with 3000 other people, 500 is fine. I love the weather, especially the cool evenings and nights at the Prairie. I understand that there will be a helicopter at the Prairie this year, but probably no WWII bombers.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Lost Prarie is in the Mountain Time zone and is a similar LATITUDE to Seattle.... Right now it is getting dark at about 10 PM with the sun setting in the NW and getting light at about 4:30 AM....that makes for very very long days. MT in the summer is far drier than Illinois.. I HATE humidity and the midwest in AUG... arrrggghhh. The DZ is higher so landing will be a bit faster due to altitude but not that noticeable. I can drive to Montana its just 775 miles from Seattle so I am going there. From everything I hear its a VERY good party with lots of jumps. Its been going on for 36 years.. and there are supposed to be plenty of people there for all kinds of big ways, oldways,girlyways etc.

Amazon

Hey Peter will probably be at Lost Prairie (the boy is a maniac for that sort of thing being the professional student and all), but he's told me that he'll be at Rantoul for sure

Oh goodie, Peter is fun to party with at WFFC. Ask Peter about his C-130 high speed pass doing video for the big guy;) I don't think he was ready for that kind of pressure.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My one time at LP was one of the best times of my life. Haven't done WFFC, tho.

Here's something to think about - skill level.

At WFFC, I understand that there are people in the sky constantly. I heard- do not KNOW this to be true - that everyone is asked not to open above 2800 ft to avoid problems with the loads behind you.

Either way, thousands of people jumping out of many aircraft in the same vicinity is a scary thought for me at my level. Montana wasn't like that.

Just a thought.

I still haven't seen the video! Oh someone kindly showed me my naked part but I haven't seen any skydiving video from that boogie. One of these days!

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

I heard- do not KNOW this to be true - that everyone is asked not to open above 2800 ft to avoid problems with the loads behind you.

Generally, particularly with my skill level, I too prefer to open around 3k or higher. Certainly this requirement seems a bit unreasonable. I imagine someone out there can confirm?
Thanx guys!

I heard- do not KNOW this to be true - that everyone is asked not to open above 2800 ft to avoid problems with the loads behind you.

Generally, particularly with my skill level, I too prefer to open around 3k or higher. Certainly this requirement seems a bit unreasonable. I imagine someone out there can confirm?
Thanx guys!

I don't know where you got 2800' from. The real issue is to not be under canopy over 3000'.

As a rule, the WFFC asks that you not open high due to the possibility of another load in the air, but if you start your opening sequence at 3000-3500 feet you should be fine.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I was doing video on a lot of little ways last year and would throw as soon as they broke, some times it was 4000 and some times it was 3500. On the 4000 foot throw outs I'd spiral right way down to about 3000 then fly the pattern. Never once did it cause an issue and I was never told to quit doing that. Granted, I hurried my ass down to 3000 feet, but thats not really that hard to do.

The bigger issue then opening heigth's is canopy traffic. If your coming from a 182 DZ you're in for a shock on your first CASA load with 32 other canopies in the pattern with you. If your from an Otter DZ, its just a bit more traffic. Just keep your head on a swivel, and pick the plane that will best fit your traffic ability to start with. Mullins has his King air there that holds 14, thats a great warm up plane for traffic management instead of a CASA or the C130.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you are used to an otter dz, wffc is hardly a traffic issue at all. You will generally be in the air with your load and groups tend to want to land in several different landing areas so traffic is very manageable. Once and a while you will find yourself in the air with a couple of loads open at the same time but this is not often enough to worry about. Just be conservative and careful.

Because of the large and different landing areas, wffc is much safer that some other dropzones and boogies I have been to.