Fireflyer

Packing Videos

Hey all. I am looking for some packing videos to help out my learning process coming off AFF such that I can get my license. It is so busy at our DZ its difficult to corner a JM for a while, so in the meantime, I want to learn as much as possible on my own until we have the time to complete my packing certification. I am required to learn to flat pack first, so thats my priority now. Any video/book recos out there? I cannot find anything on the web to buy. I have heard of "Pack like a Pro" but cant find it. Suggestions?

email or PM me your address and I can send you the CD rom I get from "sid" on pro packing. 20 video clips/80 high res pics, etc. Pretty good, it helped me a lot beginning to learn how to PRO pack.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I haven't seen that video but depending on the people at your DZ you should try to get some packing tips from other jumpers. When I first learned to pack it was from my coach, not a JM. I asked everyone along the way and picked up tips from everybody. I eventually settled on a packing method that was my own made up of tips and suggestions from everyone! As long as you follow the manufacter's recommended instructions you can develop a method that works for you!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

but depending on the people at your DZ you should try to get some packing tips from other jumpers. When I first learned to pack it was from my coach, not a JM. I asked everyone along the way and picked up tips from everybody.

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier for girls. I had to pay for my packing lessons while I watched everyone trip over themselves to teach the girls.

maybe not the answer you were looking for but give it a thought: how many practical skills did you ever learn out of a book or a video and in how many of them you were sufficient?

learning by real observation and doing something under supervision has prooved to be the best way of learning for the last couple a thousand years. i'd stick to that tradition if i were you.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

how many practical skills did you ever learn out of a book or a video and in how many of them you were sufficient

well i learned to propack from a video.. never got real life instruction, the video i learned from was one i bought from aerohio in ritman ohio and it was a great well produed video they made for thier students.. 300+ pack jobs later and i'm doin fine.... only slight things i've learned along the way have changed the pack job i learned from that vid.......

I haven't seen the PD video but I suspect it's very useful.

and it's easy enough to acquire... I emailed PD, told them I'd bought a used Spectre, and they sent me one right out! I should have it in a bit, and I'll let you know what I think of it... I am gonna learn to pro-pack, I swear! :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

There is a teaching theory that says you truly know something after doing it 7 times. As a packer, I am willing to teach anyone who wants to learn (provided that I don't have a backlog of rigs). Do you know anyone at your DZ that could help? Other jumpers are usually nice enough about that, but if they pack for you, watch your wallet... ;)

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I learned to pack hanging at the packing area and watching the packers and all their different techniques, I took an 'official' class (30 mins) in order to get my A, and I was pro-packing 31 mins later.

Thanks all, but I am looking for something more constructive. As an instructor in another sport, I appreciate hands on instruction, but I do value those who research and become familiar prior to my instruction. I PLAN to get instructed properly by a rigger and or take a class, but there is little oppurtunity to do so at my DZ for the next few busy weeks. I wanted to see all that I could before I am taught properly, that is all!

The best way to learn is to ask a current packer to show you how to do it. I didn't learn anything new from Pack like a pro after one good lesson from our packer (Thanks Victoria ;)). I think you should really see the canopy from the angle you normally see it when you pack. This is particularly important for understanding how to deal with the lines when you PRO pack. It is also nice to have experienced person watching you pack and pointing at mistakes 'on-line'.

Give that $20 to the packer and you will be amazed how much you will learn. ;)

The best way to learn is just to do...that's how I learned...borrowed a friends rig at the DZ I learned at...and just started packing and packing over and over and over again...with the helpfull eye of Mike meiyers watching over me...this was all at SD Sebastian...and it didn't cost me a cent...well maybe a couple of beers..but that's it

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Since my esteemed rigger hasn't chimed in yet. He put together a great web site with packing instructions and sells a CD with packing video. Go to www.sidsrigging.com and check it out!

Larry - read back through the thread - they're pirating me now! I think that makes me famous!

Sid
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Sid is a poor starving rigger living on nothing but Raman noodles and stale beer! Wait a minute, that's my diet too!!!

Yeah, but you probably have a choice! ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

[QUOTE]Larry - read back through the thread - they're pirating me now! I think that makes me famous! [/QUOTE]

LOL sid, I didnt think you'd mind! :):D:P:)
I agree for the full experience the CD is a MUST HAVE! You'll be eating steak every night pretty soon buddy!! :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...