MakeItHappen

Coach Jump Definition

stratostar

Some brilliant people decided we didn't need jumpmasters any more and so they did away with that and dreamed up this coach thing... made a bunch of jumpmasters instance I's and never made them take the course.... stripped people like me of a jumpmasters rating but didn't make us coaches by default like the newly minted I's got for their jumpmaster ratings being stripped....

Point is when is the USPA going to stop fucking up the program in the name of personal pet projects of the chosen few?

The whole idea WAS to help smaller DZ's with ISP FJC's so others besides I's could do non method teaching, was it not? That means working with "students" and then we grandfathered all the D holders to allow taking "under the wing" those just off Student stats but not licensed, that may have been changed again, who knows with every time we get some new BOD peeps they want to start changing shit to suit someones agenda of how they think things need to be.

That pretty much sums it up.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Louis, I think that a coach jump is exactly what it was always meant to be...a jump with an unlicensed skydiver. To keep your rating current you have to make 15 jumps in a 12 month time frame....that's one jump with a student every 3 weeks or so. If your dance card is so full, your dz so small, or so overpopulated with coaches that you can't manage that, are you really proficient at working with students? I agree with the gentleman that would not make any accommodations for them. When you take the coach course, in the first page or so of the IRM it tells you what the requirements for renewal are. It also has the answer to the question of what you can do if your rating expires:

1. For persons with a current non-USPA Coach rating or
equivalent or an expired USPA Coach rating
a. make at least one satisfactory USPA Coach Rating
Course evaluation jump with a USPA Instructor or
IE who has served as a USPA Coach Course
Evaluator
b. assist in at least one complete first-jump course
c. attend a USPA rating renewal seminar
d. pass the Coach Course written exam with a score
of at least 80 percent

Is that really that much to ask of someone wanting to work with some of the least competent skydivers at the dz?

Hey Michael,
No disagreement whatsoever. My only question here is why couldn't there be an S&TA exemption for someone truly having trouble getting jumps done? Just not a blanket policy for any old RW jump to be counded as coaching. But I also think that the S&TA system needs to be revamped as well.

I completely agree that coaches should be working with students. I just don't see a problem with adding some flexibility to the system for those that really need it. But of course, as with all of the ratings, there is always the possibility of abuse of the system.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Deisel

Ok. So how do you accomodate the OP? A coach on a small DZ that cant get enough student jums to meet the currency requirement? .....

Simple.

You don't.

Coach jumps are about the STUDENT, not the Coach.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

***Ok. So how do you accomodate the OP? A coach on a small DZ that cant get enough student jums to meet the currency requirement? .....

Simple.

You don't.

Hmmm? I'm not sure I agree with you Pops... Sounds like he wants to be a coach? Desire is 98% of the battle. Maybe he needs to switch DZ's? Maybe he needs to work closer with his DZO? Or, maybe he needs to jump more?

I just hate to advise him to give up or say "there's nothing for you here".
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Being paid has nothing whatsoever to do with teaching. I have never taken a dime for a coach jump and have done plenty of em. And it was actually DZ policy where i did most of my coaching, that coaches don't get paid. It's old school thinking but it's how the DZO does business.

And it bothers me that money continues to be associated with teaching. It is a byproduct of business and completely irrelevant here.

A coach is typically a newer jumper working towards getting more advanced ratings. Not a fully rated instructor that can do other things. Most I's that I know don't do much coaching and leave it to the younger guys working on their teaching skills. If the rating holders are doing the coach jumps, how do the new guys get the experience to become I's? One of the good things about the coach program is that a coach with 100-200 jumps can relate to a new jumper much better than the old farts. That means the student s more comfortable, which is a good thing.

skyjumpenfool

******Ok. So how do you accomodate the OP? A coach on a small DZ that cant get enough student jums to meet the currency requirement? .....

Simple.

You don't.

Hmmm? I'm not sure I agree with you Pops... Sounds like he wants to be a coach? Desire is 98% of the battle. Maybe he needs to switch DZ's? Maybe he needs to work closer with his DZO? Or, maybe he needs to jump more?

I just hate to advise him to give up or say "there's nothing for you here".
That's not what I was saying nor what the OP was saying.

It's that WE serve the students needs. The students don't swerve the Coach's needs.
Nothing more than that intended.

Maybe I should have said "can't" instead of "don't".

The faulk04's DZ apparently may not get enough Coach jump opportunities for every Coach to meet the requirements. What could we do anyway?

One step further though, along the lines of the thought you brought up. I'd have to ask about motivation. What is your motivation to get the coach rating - to help students, or for the money? You don't have to guess the appropriate answer, right?
Hence, WE swerve the students needs.

stayhigh

Horrible policy,

Who compensate you for missed out tandem jump or camera jump???

Who compensates you for used pack job and used line set??

Apparently you are in it only for the money.
[:/]

I read through all the replies so far and didn't see this example:

A higher-than-A-licensed skydiver has been out of the sky for a while (long enough not to be current). Said skydiver needs a coach jump to get current. The jump is supposed to be from full altitude (no H&P), and the coach is there to 1) confirm you can achieve and maintain (and regain if necessary) stability, 2) confirm you maintain good altitude awareness (and other safe-jumper qualities), and 3) assist if any part of 1 or 2 is lacking.

Now let's say the un-current jumper has thousands of jumps but was out of the sport for a few years due to injury, self-selected hiatus, or whatever. The coach jump is still required, and the coach is still performing as the coach rating has intended.

Do I think that there will be 15 of these a year for the coach to do to maintain the rating? Probably not. But this example falls right into the question you have about whether it's okay to count jumps with experienced skydivers as his/her 15 "coach jumps" in order to maintain the rating.

I don't think the question is a bad one, but this is something else to consider when the final edit is accepted.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!