vonSanta

Question from newbie

Got a question for a possible scenario.

Time to pull. You go for ripcord/pilot chute. Pull, it's stuck. Pull with both hands - still stuck.

You're stressed and scared, and you fumble and struggle to find the cutaway. You've done the emergency drill lots of time but you simply cannot find that handle and you're tumbling around knowing that you're getting lower and lower at great speed.

What to do? Keep trying to locate it? Or go for reserve handle which is easier to locate/differentiate from the fabric of whatever you're wearing?

Am a newbie and it is as if every time I go to the DZ, a new question pops into my mind. Usually I talk to my instructors about it but I am beginning to think they're getting fed up with my far fetched sometimes silly questions. This is probably not the case and they're probably more than happy to answer my questions, but it is as if I don't want to push it too far.

Haven't had an opportunity to ask an instructor about the scenario above. What is the correct response in that scenario?

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Usually I talk to my instructors about it but I am beginning to think they're getting fed up with my far fetched sometimes silly questions.

No one will ever get fed up with questions - matter how dumb (or at least they shouldnt) (ok so at least they shouldnt let you know they are). So much of this sport is about sharing knowledge, at every level. Anyone worth their salt will always be happy to help you with whatever questions you have, here, at the DZ or in the bar.

This is not a far-out scenario. A whole lot of people have had hard pulls with pull-outs. I know at least one person who pulled her reserve because she heard her dytter flat-line -- she said that was her "Hey stupid" wake-up call, because her eyes should have told her it was time to quit messing with it.

More than a couple of people have gone in with nothing above them because they focused on getting a hard-to-pull deployment device out. So please, think away, and it will become a considered scenario instead of a surprise if it ever happens.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would hope there would be no such thing as an instructor getting tired of questions that novices can think of; hopefully the ones you have will all agree on that- and as a couple of fine folk here have already said, it is always better to prepare for every scenario you can possibly think of; then you will already have a plan, just in case it were to happen to you- in a hard pull situation, try once, twice, then go for the reserve-- remember, the most important thing for you to do in any skydive is to PULL--:)
Faye, aka Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

To date that was my only malfunction. Actually I had the hacky stuffed all the way in the pocket. I went for it once, went for it twice, then went to right to my reserve rip cord with both hands.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

This is not a far-out scenario. A whole lot of people have had hard pulls with pull-outs. I know at least one person who pulled her reserve because she heard her dytter flat-line -- she said that was her "Hey stupid" wake-up call, because her eyes should have told her it was time to quit messing with it. Wendy W.

Exchange "pull out" for pilot chute, "dytter" for time-out and you have my 60th jump... Scary shit, and I was jumping a round reserve at the time too! I agree with Wendy; it's best to think through every eventuality, then it's less likely to catch you out if it happens for real.

Steph
-x-

Thanks for the response guys (and girls :)).

Definitely a 'learning experience', this skydiving thing. First I had to learn not to kill myself doing elementary stuff while an instructor or two watched. Then the same on my own. Not to mention packing chutes.

And now that I am soloing questions come up so quickly I even have my scuba notepad placed right at the shower :).

Education and answers help a lot. It seems there is so much I am not aware of that is potentially dangerous and I don't want to be surprised and not have an idea of how to react should something happen. Went through the same thing with scuba diving and I'm happy I did. Stuck valve on a dry suit can really ruin a perfectly good dive if you don't react properly :D

Really appreciate the answers, thanks. Will bother my instructor anyway, but now I can say 'if this happens, I go for my reserve after trying to pull twice, right?' and not look like a total dumb guy B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst