ojf1982

Panama City Beach Swoop Festival

For those that havent seen the article in Skydiving Magazine, April 28 to May 4 there will be a swoop competition in Panama City and also fun jumpers who possess a D license will be able to make jumps the whole week from turbine aircraft and helicopters.

Are there anyone or group going that would be willing to split the cost of a hotel room?
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Would anyone have a clue as to where the plane/helicopter would take off from?

I have emailed PST but no answer as of yet.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Actually on the Beach there is only a little ultralight strip that is used to fly banner planes. Other than that there is a airport about 20 mins away from Spinnaker will the festival will be. Thats the lay out as of now. But I dont know what arrangments the PST might have made.

Get the address to Spinnaker and look for hotels with a close number. Or go to yahoo or expedia an use their map directions to input 2 addresses and you can find out the distance between the 2.

Omar I'm not sure yet I might have a free place to stay, but
thought I'd better have a back up plan. I figured if I have to
pay I might as well be close to the blades. Several jumpers
at my DZ would like to go also if we have any room left over
I can let you know, but it will a week or two before I know
anything
David

Here is the email I just received back from Lyle Presse concerning the event:

To:
Cc: "Jeannie Bankston"
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Omar:

Lyle Presse here. Thanks for your interest in our event. There's so much going on that week, that we've decided to call it our Spring Break Event. Anyone who registers can stat jumping from 1:00pm on Moday April 28th. We do not expect too many people other than competitors going for practice and a few early birds. The Advanced Series guys compete on Wednesday and Thursday. The Pro Series Guys compete Thursday and Friday. The official welcome party will be at the club Wednesday Night with a wine and cheese party......after that there's a session with DJ WillFull from Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Boogie is expected to take off on Thursday and go through Sunday. Saturdayt night we will have our biggest party part of which will be judging entries for the films of the Swoop Festival. The other aspects of the Swoop Festival are daily and nightly seminars, and some evenings with special guest speakers, and having the major manufacturers on site for demos and product education. Of course the meet and theme of the entire event is around the Swoop Festival.

The aircraft (Skyvan + Caravan or Otter), will take off from the Panama City Airport about 10-12 minute drive. $20 jump tickets include the bus ride to the airport. There will also be two helicopters that take off near the site. The helo price is between $36 - $40.

The Summit is right next door, and is offering a deal on the 1 bedroom sizes. These are condos, not hotel rooms, so its quite luxurious. There are also 2 and 3 bedroom suites. The rates for a beachside condo is amazing. Four people can share a one bedroom for $30 each per night. There are plenty of hotels and everything else anyone might need all around the location. Check out the condos at www.summitcondo.com.

If you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me. See you on the beach !!!
Lyle

The Event you guys are talking about is the "PST Spring Break Festival" that will be held in Panama City Beach, Florida. The event is being organized by the Pro Swooping Tour and sponsored by GoFast! Sports. The Spring Break Festival will include:

BEACH BOOGIE- For all skydivers with USPA D license (or equivalent) and will include a tandem operation.

SWOOP FESTIVAL- Daily Swooping courses on the beach, swooping seminars, training, parachute industry booths with demos, ect.

PRO BEACH CHALLENGE- Top teams from the Pro Tour will compete in nine rounds of beach competition for a $10,000 cash purse.

ADVANCED SERIES SWOOP COMPETITION- Advanced level pilots from the Pro Tour will compete in six rounds of competition for tour points, prizes & 2003 signature tour jacket.

FILM FESTIVAL- Films submitted by festival participants will be projected in large screen format and judged by festival participants. Films must be related to parachute flight.

MUSIC FESTIVAL- Festival will include nightly musical entertainment inside America's largest beach club (Spinnakerbeachclub.com) featuring bands and DJs. The PST has booked one of South America's most popular & powerful DJs for the Spring Break Festival...DJ Willful. "From a city of 18 millon people, one DJ stands above the rest". DJ Willful comes to us from the world's 3rd largest city and will deliver the energy of progressive trance & electronic dance music.

FESTIVAL AIRCRAFT- The festival will include two helicopters, Skyvan & Caravan.

Look for the upcoming advertisement about the Spring Break Festival in next months Parachutist and Skydiving magazines. Contact the Pro Swooping Tour for more detailed information or the schedule.

SlatonAirSports.com
CanopyPiloting.com