narcimund

Dominican Republic Boogie - Fly in the soup

Well, in case you didn't get the email from the organizer, the Dominican Republic Boogie is in serious disrepair -- or possibly discredit.

The upshot of his message is the CASAs are both grounded with little chance they'll be airborne by the 10th. He's suggesting they will give us back 75% of our entry so we can rent a 10-jumper Islander for jumps.

Personally, I find this fishy, especially since the email was only sent to 15 addresses, 3 of which are undeliverable. Worst case, this whole thing was an elaborate scam. Middle case it's turning into a non-boogie through bad luck. Best case, something unexpected happens and everything turns out ok.

However, I'm going to the Caribbean for some sun and rum anyway. This is going to be a fun vacation for me whether or not I get to skydive. I hope everyone else shows up as well. We can meet up at a D.R. bar and smoke cigars and bitch about it.

UPDATE INFORMATION FROM THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AIR FORCE. Transcript and conclusions of the order received yesterday by Dr. Eugene Matos from his General Chief (Major General assistant) in San Isidro Base.

For the first time in 10 years of skydiving boogies in the Dominican Republic organized with proud and satisfaction, I have received a superior information and order to inform you all about an emergency situation that has arise this week.

The two Air Force Casas are grounded until further order, due to major repairs and lack of parts from Spain. I was ordered to cancel the boogie immediately because of serious difficulties to have any of the Casas available for the jumps.

I told my general to give me 8 hours to think about it, and the way to find the best solution. In a very unofficial manner, taking big chances with my superior, I called him six times to his cel, and he agreed what I assumed would be the best way to avoid a total disaster and complete cancellation of the boogie.

In respect to all you fellows skydivers coming from all over the world, I personally have being working night and day to find this solution, here it is:

Taking in account that in the Dominican Republic we can not get a good skydiving airplane, and that the Casas has very little chance to be ready by Feb. 10th, and if ready, they could be used first for military tasks, and then if luck, perhabs make some jumps from them. There is only one way to solve this embarrassing situation and safe the boogie.

These are the only solutions possible on hand right now:

1st. choice:
You will get back in cash 75% (in US funds) of your contribution
registration fee (immediately upon your arrival to Santo Domingo) which will allow you to pay your jumps from a rented commercial twin engine Islander (10 pax only jump aircraft available), based on 330$USD per hour. Best deal due to the high aviation operation cost in the island.

All the group will be in this case responsible to read the tachometer
and control the flight hour cost and maximize the number of skydivers in each load. The group (civilians foreign skydivers) will have absolutely control of the airplane operation and loads. Your accommodation, and meals at the base continue to be completely free as always. All civilians volunteers agreed to give you FOR LIFE (no registration fee) for future boogies at the Air Force, which includes also free accommodation, meals and jumps from air force aircrafts.

It is important to note that thousands of dollars will be loss by
volunteers who have invested their time in trips, personal long distance calls, and artwork advertising, by accepting with pride to refund you 75% of your registration fee, and still going ahead helping to organize the boogie within this condition.

2nd. choice:
You will get back immediately 75% of your contribution registration fee if decide not to participate in the boogie. You also will be invited for life for future boogies without contribution registration fee and the
usual free accomodation, meals and jumps from military aircrafts.

* Please understand that the 25% of your contribution registration fee
that can not be refund, correspond to expenses that we are unable to
collect.

Technical considerations and personal recommendations:

I am just trying my dear friends to avoid the worse, to cancel
completely the boogie, even after receiving extrictly military orders
from a very respectful and an important General officer rank. I should received the orders and comply with. But considering your investment in airfare, your time and your trust in the Air Force, and in my country, I took the chance to convince my superior.

It is important for me to let you know that the Islander is a very
comfortable and strong skydiving airplane, with a big cargo door.
Unlike the Casa, the Islander is not as powerful nor as fast as the
first. Depending on the number of skydivers in each load, plus the time it takes to altitude, each flight cost will be divided by each
particular load. If you have any other suggestion, or the group decide
otherwise, will be then your option and group rule. Myself nor any
officer at the airforce will intervene in your flight administration
procedures. You will have free access to the ramp, the time to start and finished your jumps, as well as other reasonable considerations to give you the best time during your stay.

IMPORTANT: IT IS QUITE URGENT TO RECEIVED YOUR ACCEPTANCE OR NOT ACCEPTANCE BY EMAIL WITHIN THE NEXT 72 HOURS. BECAUSE OF THE OVERLOAD OF WORK THIS WEEKEND, I WILL PROBABLY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN YOUR CALLS, SO PLEASE TRY TO SEND ME YOUR OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS BY EMAIL.
THANKS FOR YOUR COMPREHENSION GUYS !

With my deepest and highest respect to all you skydivers, please accept our apologize, dismissing the Dominican Republic Air Force, all
civilians volunteers and myself for this unexpected situation.

Best regards;
Dr. Eugene Matos.
Dominican Republic Air Force

Tel.: (819) 246-9620.

I will be in Santo Domingo from Thursday Feb. 7th at my cel. (809)
727-8467. Do not leave any message in this number, try calling again.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

We spent the week in Coolige instead of risking this boogie, but here is what it is going on. Very disturbing.
This is "hearsay" for right now...I have not personally talked Randy, but did talk to the guy who came home.

Two days before the boogie Eugene sent a different letter saying it was not cancelled and the Islander has been confirmed. Three people from our group decided to go and try it, only to find out it was completely cancelled when they got there. There was nobody there. One of them turned around and came home the following day costing him 600.00. The other two didn't have the money to change the ticket and have been stuck there all week due to the in-flexibility of American Airlines and their ticketing policy. I heard they made two jumps from the islander all week.

I did not reschedule another flight and lost the money for my ticket from Miami to DR (368.00). We have not recieved any money back from the people who were collecting our boogie fee. (285.00). Since my flight from Denver to Miami was using United Miles, it cost 75.00 to put those miles back.

Since I have not talked to Randy (he was stuck there all week) personally about this situation, I am not going to write any slander towards these people.... yet. I wrote a letter to the organizer saying I wanted 100% of my boogie fee returned, and told him I would make sure no other skydivers fall victim to this elaborate scam, and he replyed saying he would seek legal action if I tried to destroy their "good name".

My opinion....The boogie is not a hoax as it has been going on for years...Something went bad where we could not use the CASA's, and the boogie was cancelled. As of now we have lost all of our money. I am still hoping for 75% of our boogie fee back that was promised by the organizer, but I am not holding my breath.

I will post more when I find out the exact details from Randy when he gets home.

narcimund -- any news?

Not much news from me. I bailed out, smelling the disaster.

I don't expect to see any money back and a couple of hundred dollars isn't even close to significant in the scheme of all this. If a check ever arrives, I'll donate it to the Crippled Skydivers charity or something. More likely, I'm just going to chalk it up to the occasional bad egg and move on with life.

My opinion? I think there was probably a boogie in DR once apon a time. I suspect this Eugene Matos isn't actually a crook, but is probably a bit of a schmoe. I think his overconfidence is the culprit, and he has probably spent most of the money already, so he's backed into a corner. On the other hand, maybe he's a crook after all.

I don't expect there to be any more DR boogies.

Just Browsing though stuff when I saw this. I was not surprised to read about your plight. Eugene Matos royally screwed us over in 2000. We tried to get Parachusist and Skydiving to not accept ads from him with no luck. We posted our experiences on Rec.skydiving back in 2000. Here is a copy of what happened to us.

Rec.Skydiving Feb 2000
I am looking for the Skydivers who went to the Christmas/New Years Boogie in
the Dominican Republic. I heard the were 20 Skydivers From Chicago that
attended. 8 of us attended the Hercules Boogie Last Week and were
throughly ripped off by the organizer and fellow Skydiver Eugene Matos. We
are posting this to this
newsgroup becuase we do not want other skydivers to fall in this Con
Artist's trap he advertises in Skydiving and Parachusits for Boogies that
Barely if at all happen. We are looking for the Chicago group becuase we
heard they Traveled to a boogie featuring a Super Otter for Two weeks and a
got a Cessna 182. Just to list the facts of our trip. We started a quest
for a skydiving vacation months a go and saw the ad in both Parachusit and
Skydiving we then requested info from this newsgroup and heard neither good
nor bad so we contacted the Organizer Eugene Matos. He spun a wonderful
picture of a boogie in paradise with Free Helicopter jumps to Celebrate the
Dominican Republic's Air Force Anniversary. He confirmed 2 days as much
jumps as you could pack for with one rig. Also included in the deal was
round trip airfare from the resort we were staying at to the Air Force Base
and Back each day. After our 2 days of Helicopter Jumps we could jump a
porter at the resort for 25 usd a jump. In order to register for this
Boogie we were required to stay at a particular resort and book though a
particular travel agent (Should have been our 1st clue) We received
several grand emails detailing the great things happening at this boogie so
with a great adventure in our minds a shit load of money out of our pockets
and a trust in this Fellow Skydiver Eugene Matos we booked our trip. Well
this is what really happened. We arrrive at the resort El Portillo on the
North Coast of the Dominican Republic and it has beautiful scenery. We knew
the DR is Third World but figured the World Class Resort That our Travel
Agent and Eugene Matos told us about would be immune to that, you know
imported meat, clean drinking water, good drinks a wide selection of beer.
We could not have been more wrong. The food was awful the meat smelled like
horse's ass, drinks in a dixie cup and one kind of nasty beer on tap. Oh
well we came here to Skydive food is not neccessary a little pineapple we'll
be fine. Our next step find the Organizer. It took a while but we finally
found Eugene Matos. He told us we would be going to the Air Force base on
Monday (this was on Sun Afternoon) for two days but we would have to spend
the night there (not what he promised but ok fine lets Skydive plus maybe we
could find some real food and beer) He collected our 75 Dollars Boogie
Registration fee and then disappeared we met him at 6:45am on Monday with
our gear no travel bag (we were only allowed to take our gear) He informs us
the hotel wants us to put our stuff together in case the need to rent our
rooms (already paid one week in advance) That of course goes over like a
lead ballon. Half the group is no longer trusting this Idiot and ready to
feed him to the fishes. We refuse finally he lets it drop. We go over to
the hotel airstrip. He tries to get all of us on one plane that is not
rated for that much weight telling us its ok. Hello we are not total
Idiots. The problem is there is only one plane. We all say enough B.S just
give us our money back we will stay here. No can do he tells us he already
spent it on this plane. So some of our group stayed behind and the rest of
us went (another bad move on our part) We get to Air Force Base only to find
out that this Guy is advertising and collecting money for a boogie using
aircraft he has no control over or any prior agreement with the Military to
use. The Dominicans allow us only one Jump from 6000 ft out of a Huey. Now
we are stuck on a miltary base in a country that is pretty much ruled by the
Miltary not a place we wanted to be and we sure as hell couldn't Bitch
becuase we were afraid to open our mouths. Eugene had contracted use of his
cessna 182 to the Dominican's for the day so were sat on the ground and
watched the miltary jump all day. Eugene tells us he will get a plane to
take us back to the resort. It should be here at 2:30 or 3:00. Surprise,
Surprise it never shows. We finally get a ride back in a cessna at 6:00
that costs us an additional 150 dollars. At that point we would have paid
anything to get us the hell out of there. Once back at the resort we find
there is no plane to skydive with but one should come tommorrow (Yeah right)
of course it never showed. So here we are stuck on a skydiving vaction that
we had saved the money for for 6 months. Taken our 1 week a year vaction
time only to find ourselves with no skydiving no edible food, shitty beer
(the worst you can do to a Skydiver) and Mr. Eugene Matos has disappered
another surprise. Come to find out, His wife owns the travel agency and
they also have something to do with this resort.
We just wanted all skydivers to know about this and are planning to write
USPA and Skydiving in hopes that they will accept no more Ads from this Con
Artist (the reason we are looking for the Chicago group to add their story)

Blue Skies and Shame on Eugene

Becca Garrison AFF/I
Joe Bennett AFF/I, TM/I
Mike Moore AFF/I, TM/I
Lawrence Coverdale C-28524
James Leatherwood C-something
Pam Stacey A-something
Angie Leatherwood Great Skydiving Wife

Interesting story. Given what happened this year and in 2000, my conclusion is that Eugene Matos isn't a crook. I think he's just an overambitious idiot. Hopefully this history being built on dropzone.com will help skydivers learn about him if he ever shows up again.

That totally blows. I feel partly to blame for giving my positive spin on the event. The difference here is that I never had to deal with Eugene (I was in the Army, working at San Isidro anyway). I made a lot of free skydives there before, during, and after the "boogie," and I never had a problem staying in a barracks and eating whatever they were serving. That being said, I can see how people would be genuinely pissed at Eugene and his old lady for misleading people. In my original post on the subject I recall I made it pretty clear that there was no "real" fee for that "boogie;" only what Eugene was charging to get people there and lodge them off base. The fact of the matter is that anyone who has an "in" with the Fuerza Aerea Dominicana can jump all they want for free during the Dias De Independencia. Sorry if anyone was mislead by anything that I might have posted.

Chuck Blue

I talked to someone who attended and met Eugene Matos.
There were 7 jumps made during the boogie from a military CASA(2 the first day, nothing the second, 3 the third, and I am not sure when they flew the other two) There was no reason given as to why the plane stopped flying. Their money was refunded as promised. Eugene told this guy when they arrived that our checks had been mailed. We have not received them yet. 24 other people were there from all over the world. The person I talked to got a hotel after the second night and stayed at a resort the rest of the time in DR. There was a demo jump and the president was there, and when all of the people (including DR Military Officers) lined up to give the President their gifts, and he got in his helecopter and flew away leaving them all standing there.
The boogie was bad, but they ended up enjoying their vacation in DR.

That totally blows. I feel partly to blame for giving my positive spin on the event.

Don't worry...I put the original posting on here about the boogie, and talked a bunch of my friends into going. I will take the heat if there is any. We knew it was a risk when we signed up. B|

I am just surprising about what you guys are saying about Mr. Matos. You all signed a contract accepting to attend the boogie WITH a VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTION registration fee to participate at the Air Force. Contribution that clearly went to international publicity expenses and some volunteers expenses. I have been visiting the boogie for years without serious difficulties. You americans will not find a boogie in the entire US with meals, accomodation and free jumps during the all week. I meet the lady who wrote first this forum, I think she is the less serious person to talk about DR, with famous "black" background from Colorado. I personally have suggested Mr. Matos to take action with a Colorado lawyer office and sue all those who are writing these things.

At least is a good sign, that from 850 skydivers visiting the Dominican Rebublic from all over the world, one can find only 10 unsatisfied ones.
A singular missing information, ALL skydivers that went to the last boogie, Feb. 15 2003, were FULLY refunded. This is besides that skydivers made free jumps from Casas, stay at the base (meals included), and were invited to free city tours. Cpt.McManus.

I had a beautiful time in the Dominican Republic, not only during this Feb. 2003 anniversary but also during three precedent boogies in 1995, 1997 and 1999. Without requesting it, my contribution fee was fully returned to me at the base by Mr. Matos. We had free jumps, free accomodation in San Isidro and the best of all, we made some 5 city tours and beach tours in a Mercedes military bus at no charge. I am agree that those whom did not attend the boogie, should not be refund, with more emphasis for those who do not have a better understanding of unexpected situations that always arises in Third World countries like DR. This money went anyway to the international publicity, why complaning? I have never see any boogie with so many free services. People have to understand that Mr. Eugne Matos is just a volunteer organizer, not the owner of the Dominican Republic Air Force. If he received the order to cancel the boogie just 10 days before the event, and he worked it out to keep it going, this is a great job ! Finally the boogie was not canceled, and we had jumps in the Casa, not a lot of jumps, but I made at least 8 free jumps and stay at the base one full week for FREE, ALL INCLUSIVE, THIS IS INCLUDING DOMINICAN PRESIDENTE BEER !

You americans will not find a boogie in the entire US with meals, accomodation and free jumps during the all week.

We Americans expect a return on the money we put into things. It's how our market works. It's good to hear that some people who went on these trips had a good time. But tell me, if there have successfull trips in the past and Matos has been successfully collecting money then why haven't the outstanding debts been paid. Matos is not up to our standards as an organizer. People have invested money and time away from work and family. His actions are, simply, not acceptable.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Dear Eugene,
We just wanted to thank you very much for the refund check for our son Ryan. We greatly appreciate it. We also want to wish you luck on you sky diving adventures in the Dominican Republic. Thanks for your honesty and kindness.
Fondly,
Pat & Kathy
Parents of Ryan

edited to take out the e-mail address of someone who obviously did not write this post.

I just wanted to make sure I am not counted as one Eugene’s 850 or 550 satisfied attendees of a debacle in the Dominican Boogie. I had the misfortune of attending Eugene’s 2000 Air force/Skydive El Portillo Boogie? Nearly $2000.00 in expenses one jump!
“You americans will not find a boogie in the entire US with meals, accomodation and free jumps during the all week.”
We sure didn’t find it at the Eugene Matos Dominican Boogie. What we Americans due except is a reasonable return on our vacation investment, not a week of where’s Eugene, and the day’s What Had Happen story. Eugene failed to deliver as advertised in 2000, and no boogie fees, paid to Eugene or travel expenses paid to Eugene’s wife’s travel agency were refunded.

Lawrence Coverdale
D-22790

Dear Members of DROP ZONE
Mr. Little John Keogh, Mr. Lawrence Coverdale, Mr. Doug Locke, Mr. Ross A. Roscoe, Mr. Andrea M., Mr. Chuck Blue, Ms. Becca Garrison, Ms. Kathy Haag

I am writing to you anonimously in order to provide you with the contact information of Mr. Eugene Matos who actually has a dual citizen of the Dominican Republic and lives in Canada. It is a shame what I have read in regards to the scam this person has done to so many tourist that have visited the Dominican Republic. Giving a bad name the the Country and its people. This is precisely the reason I felt compelled to provide you with the following information on Mr. Matos in order that you can pursue any legal actions you may consider.

In addition his wife works for the Dominican Republic Embassy in Canada located in Ottawa I am quite sure that the Embassy in Canada is not aware of this scam done to Tourist visiting the Dominican Republic in conjuction with her husband. We would not be surprised that his wife is using her position within the Embassy as part of their scam since we are aware they own no travel agency.

I am sending you some preliminary information on Mr. Matos if nessesary I will try to find out additional information at the Dominican Embassy in Canada and the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Repulbic including the Military in order the they can provide additional help.

One additional coment regarding a comment that was mentioned at the Dropzone:
By the way, I heard that Mr. Matos and his wife received the highest distinction of the Air Force last Feb. 15, 2002, done in person by the Major General Bueno Vasquez, and President Mejia, for their contribution to the Air Force and Dominican society.

This is a flagrant lie and a shame that the good name of the President of Dominican Republic and the Military is used for this purposes!!

Here is the Contact Information of Eugene Matos real name (Eugenio Matos)
Home Address:
19 Le Gallois
Gatineau, Quebec J8V 2H3
Canada
Home: (819) 246-9620
E-mail Hotmail: [email protected]

Wife:
Mayelinne de Lara (Altagracia Ines de Lara Almanzar this is the real name)
Tourism Services
Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Canada

Business Address:
Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Canada
130 Albert Street, Suite 418
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Canada
Business: (613) 569-9893 Ext. 235
Business Fax: (613) 569-8673
E-mail at the Embassy: [email protected]
E-mail Hotmail: [email protected]
Web Page: http://www.drembassy.org

If you need any additional information we will try our best to help.

We will try to contact some of the Government officials, Military or the the Department of Foreign Affair in the DR in order to get additional contact information on Eugene Matos Gomez, his wife and her Bosses at the Dominican Embassy in Canada in order that this SCAM can be brought to an end and protect the good name of the Dominican Republic and it's people.

Thanks!

PS: Please ensure that Ms. Kathy Haag E-mail: [email protected] recieves this information.

Mr. Little John Keogh, Mr. Lawrence Coverdale, Mr. Doug Locke, Mr. Ross A. Roscoe, Mr. Andrea M., Mr. Chuck Blue, Ms. Becca Garrison, Ms. Kathy Haag

Dear Drop Zone Members,

We have been unable to gather any additional information as to the where abouts of Mr. Eugenio Matos Gomez “Eugene”. It is unclear if he is living in the Dominican Republic or in Canada. It appears that he works in coordination with his wife whom is presently employed at the Dominican Embassy in Canada. Apparently there is no business in Santo Domingo that is related or legally registered to Mr. Matos Gomez. As we mentioned in the previous post the contact information that we were able to gather is the closest, we are also including some contact information that might be able to help you on your pursuit.

At the Department of Foreign Affairs (Secretaria de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores) here in
Santo Domingo we were told to contact the Dominican Republic Embassy in Canada directly
and to ask for the help of the Department of Intelligence here in Santo Domingo. The following
are the contacts we were provided with:

This is the contact information of the Department of Investigation and Intelligence in the
DR. Air Force Major General-Cruz Mendez is a member of the Dominican Republic Airforce and
could help since the San Isidro Base Airplanes were being used in this case.

Fernando E. Cruz Méndez
Mayor General Piloto, F. A. D.
Director del DNI
Tels. (809) 695-8535, (809) 695-8506

For the Dominican Republic Embassy in Canada we got the followoing information :

In order to contact the Dominican Ambassador in Canada on this matter you should address
yourself to his Assistant.
Phone : 613-569-9893 Ext. 221
E-mail : [email protected]

Tel : 613-569-9893 Ext. 228
E-mail : [email protected]

The lady at the Secretaria de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores told us this would be the best way
to investigate this case since one of the personale of the Embassy in Canada is mentioned, in
this case Mrs. Des lara the wife of Mr. Eugene Matos Gomez.

Due to the nature of all this it appears that the Dominican Governement and the Canadian
Government might have been defrauded too, since there appears to be no company legally
registered. This will be investigated.

If any additonal information is needed I can be contacted at the following phone number :
(809) 682-9943 / 685-6612