kflying

When do you take off the seat belt?

I have my answers, but I'd like to hear what others think as:

A jumper
An AFF instructor - what does she tell her students?
A tandem instructor with the same thought.
A Static Line Instructor - again the same.

And let's get a few pilot's perspectives.
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

When I'm TMing, I have my student leave his/her seatbelt on until they turn around for me to hook them up (C-182). I take mine off a bit over 2000ft. Why? Well, below 2000ft, we're riding the plane down unless a wing falls off or something like that. Above that, if we have to do a rapid exit, I can get the student's belt undone and a hook attatched VERY quickly. I'd rather have their belt on then off...you never know if the door might pop open for some unknown reason, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

300 meters here IIRC. That's the alt from which yer allowed to leave the plane in case of an emergency.

Only had seatbelts/restrainers in a Nomad though. Nothing on the C-182s/C-205 or Caravanm I've jumped from.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Safe emergency exit altitude, determined usually by the PILOT, who tells the DZ Operator.
Safe emergency exit altitude is usually about 1000 ft / 350 meters, below that you stay in the plane and hope you don't get wasted on impact (which the belt is there to prevent).

That's for me solo jumper i guess.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

It is common practice at Raeford for all jumpers on the aircraft to take their seatbelts off at 1000 Feet.

I tell both my AFF and Tandem students to do the same. I have been using that altitude for years.

If I go to another DZ that uses 1500 Feet I will happily comply to the local way of doing things.
Arrive Safely

John

I remove mine at 1000' when the Pro Track goes off in my ear... I also remove my helmet at that time.

Most of the people at our DZ remove them at that time. We normally jump a C-182.. but have a Grand Caravan for the summer. REmoving it allows you to scoot down to give more room for the TM and students in the front of the aircraft.
If I am in an Otter on one of the benches.. I will leave it on.. it keeps me from sliding towards the back of the airplane when its climbing at a steep rate to altitiude. If I am near the door I will remove the seatbelt.

Amazon

about 1k, if im sitting up near the door it will be around 700-750 which is the lowest altitude I would consider bailing (if I wasnt near the door i'd keep it on til everyone else was comfortable with the bailout altitude - 1k).

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

not before 1000 feet. If for wx reasons (or any other) we have to ride the plane down, after we land and are done taxiing back to the loading area.:)Faye, aka Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

My home dz requires seatbelts until 1500'. On a side note, Does anyone else get nervous wearing a seatbelt with the door open? I worry about being extracted due to a premature opening while being belted in.

If you are sitting beside the door, undo your seatbelt before you open the door. that way if you fell out - for whatever reason - you can deploy your chute and not take the plane down with you.

We unfasten the seatbelt around 1000ft, lower if you are at the door, its a hot day, and the rest of the plane is screaming blue murder for the door to open.

No, Not without incident

As someone else mentioned, be SURE that your seatbelt is off if you're anywhere near the door and the door is open. The scary scenario:

You're in the back of the Skyvan and since it's hot they decide to leave the small plexi door open at the bottom of the tailgate. You put your seatbelt on and leave it on since you're near the door, and it's a scary gap. Your reserve PC fires, hits the floor, and rolls out the gap. Your reserve is now going to deploy unless you're incredibly fast at grabbing the PC. If you have your seatbelt off, your best course of action is to dive on top of your PC/bridle. If you get it, then other people can drag you (and the PC) back in the plane. If you don't, roll out the gap and at least you're clear of the plane. You can't do either one if your seatbelt is on.