themitchyone

RSL Question

In the incident forum, there appears to be a lot of controversy on the use of RSL. As a newbie about to start AFF after my first tandem, I am trying to collect as much information as possible. Would someone kindly expain RSL? Thanks!! :)
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

RSL stands for 'reserve static line', which is what it actually is... a static line that connects your cutaway system with your reserve deployment system, enabling a cutaway to automatically activate (pull) your reserve parachute...

The primary advantage to an RSL is quicker reserve deployment... proponents to the system will tell you that you stand a greater chance of survival in a low cutaway situation with one... and they'd be right.

The primary disadvantage is that you don't always want a quicker reserve opening... people jumping high performance canopies don't favor the RSL because of the relatively violent nature of a malfuntion on a HP canopy... they spin really fast, and pitch and yaw quite a bit. It takes a second or two to get stable and pull after a cutaway, and a (relatively) stable position at pull time is important...

As always, your milage may vary. Your best bet is to talk to qualified instructors at your dropzone, and make an informed decision based on their input.

for the record, I jump one. But I also jump a really big, docile canopy, that's not likely to have a violent spin-up on opening...

And I'll bet there will be one, on the gear you use for AFF... ;)

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

The RSL debate has raged on here for a long time.

As always, your milage may vary. Your best bet is to talk to qualified instructors at your dropzone, and make an informed decision based on their input.

This is the best advice anyone here can give you. Talk to people you know and trust. But make them explain WHY they do or do not jump an RSL....and ask several people....knowledge is power.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

there appears to be a lot of controversy on the use of RSL.

There will always be a fight over things of this nature. I can't remember the last time I jumped an RSL. Does that make them a bad thing, no. In fact, I would never let a student or more that matter someone who is not yet comfortable with cut-aways and reserve deployments jump without one. Same of course goes with other items, such as AADs, helmets, shoes, etc. The sport is high speed and doesn't lend well to people who have difficulty in panic situations, so why not use the safety features. Yet, the biggest thing you have to remember is not to rely on these systems. You have control of your destiny (contrary to what some of us say). Don't cut-away and expect the RSL to open your reserve.

I will tell you a story that goes along these lines. I guy was making a jump with a group. On exit, his cut-away handle got pull on accident. Knowing that if he pulled his main it would just leave him, he just fell flat and stable until the Cypres fired and saved his life. He had an RSL also, so if he had pulled his main at anytime his reserve would have deployed. If he had pulled his silver handle his reserve would have deployed. Both actions would have saved his life, but instead he did nothing and pinned all his faith on a computer (that hopefully he turned on and was functioning properly) in his rig. My question is, should this guy even skydive again?

My advice to you is make sure you have all the extra safety features in your rig when new to the sport. Better still, understand how they work and why you shouldn't have to count on them. This will make you a much better skydiver!

In the incident forum, there appears to be a lot of controversy on the use of RSL.

I would not say there is a "lot" of controversy. There is a very small amount of controversy.

The skydiving community has largely agreed that with a very few exceptions, RSL's are good things.

There will always be individuals who strongly believe otherwise, but they are thankfully in the minority.

_Am - don't wear one because, and only because, I fly camera.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ok, I've heard this a lot. Why exactly would you not want an RSL if you fly a camera?

With a camera you want to make sure you are not tumbling ass over end after a cutaway and risk an entanglement...Same goes for Skyboards.

With CRW you might want to take a delay to get away from the entanglement.

In MOST other cases an RSL is a good thing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I jump an RSL and encourage others to jump an RSL...but it is a personal decision. When I put a camera on my head one of these days my RSL will be disconnected...and only on camera jumps. there are several big name skydivers that wear RSL's..there are several who say they are death traps...it is up to you to get all the information that you can and make an informed decision....dont just listen to your instructors or gear dealer at your home DZ...many times I have scene some DZ's tell there students to remove the RSL..and these people have gone out bought brand new rigs, on blind faith...THAT is a problem...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

My advice to you is make sure you have all the extra safety features in your rig when new to the sport. Better still, understand how they work and why you shouldn't have to count on them. This will make you a much better skydiver!

It won't make you a better skydiver, only practice will do that. It will make you a more informed skydiver.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

many times I have scene some DZ's tell there students to remove the RSL..and
these people have gone out bought brand new rigs, on blind faith...THAT is a problem...

agreed...Doing ANYHTING in this sport on blind faith is a bad idea.

Know the pros and cons of EVERY piece of equipment.

Train as if you don't have any.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

***With CRW you might want to take a delay to get away from the entanglement.

I do a lot of demos...
I don't use one for the same reason...
There just may be a lot of nylon around you in the sky that you may want to get below / away from prior to using your 'Last Bullet'

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

check out the RWS website for some good info, and a few threads in the search engine of this website. I believe at this time it can only be installed on RWS rigs... bummer...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I had a look through RWS but it doesn't mention anywhere what systems it fits to but looking closer at the riggers fitting instructions it doesn't seem particularly pack specific.

Maybe a rigger could answer that one?

Dont need a rigger for that :-)
Its currently ONLY available for RWS containers.
I believe they hold the patent so while it
MAY be licensed to other manufacturers down
the road, that would be at the discretion of RWS.
Its not availble on other gear as of right now.
As of right now, if you want a skyhook, you have to buy a new Vector 3 M-Series or Micron (or Sigma if you want a REALLY big rig!)
I believe it can be retrofit on older Vector 3's and maybe on some older Vector II containers but I dont know it for a fact about the Vector II's