Snowbird

Passports

A question for other canucks, specifically for those who travel to the US often.

I'm planning on going to Eloy for the Invasion in January, and it was just brought to my attention that 'they' are getting very sticky about Canadians crossing the border without a passport. I haven't been to the US in years, and a birth certificate/marriage license was more than enough then. I don't have a passport and it could take up to 3 months to get one. The Invasion is in 2.[:/]

So the question... what are the experiences with passing customs without a passport? Am I asking for trouble? I don't want to miss Eloy, but I'm worried about committing the money and then not being allowed into the US because I don't have a passport.

And yes, I've tried calling the passport office. It is staffed by machines. No wonder they are 80,000 applications behind. Does anyone know where to find real, reliable information?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I have been twice since Sept 11,2001.
Eloy last christmas, Lost Prairie in july
They are definately asking for more than just drivers
licence.
I have a citizenship card and that has been OK.
bring birth Cert for sure.
Flying might be harder, probably want a passport.

Andrew B|

I am a Canadian who lives and works in the USA thanks to NAFTA. If I was able to obtain my TN-1 work visa without a passport (I used my birth certificate, drivers license, diploma and an offer letter from the employer), then you shouldn't need a passport just to visit the US.

Make sure you do have:

1) Proof of citizenship (like a birth certificate)
2) Valid photo ID (like a driver's license)

and expect to be asked the usual questions about what are your intentions for entering the US and how long you plan on being in the country. If you're on the level and have all your paperwork, it won't be an issue.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Going vice-versa you need a passport to fly - or at least it would be very difficult without. I know that the airlines now want a passport even for Canada/US/Mexico where a driver's license previously sufficed.

I called United Airlines prior to a flight to Toronto and was told I had to have a passport to board the plane.

Thanks for the input.
We're flying Alaskan, and their policy seems to be birth certificate and picture ID are enough.

Seems that getting passports isn't an option, though. It will take 3 months to process a passport application. >:( We're leaving in 2, and Christmas is in the middle. And if we send in our application and it doesn't get processed in time, we won't even have our birth certificates. Seems we'll take our chances.[:/]

I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. :S Thank goodness for cancellation insurance!

positive thoughts... we will make it to Eloy, we will make it to Eloy!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Once again, if I was able to obtain a work visa in the US with only a birth certificate and a drivers license (plus the other crap I mentioned in an earlier post), you should be able to get in with the same.

Also, to help alleviate your fears: on October 5th, 2002 at the Alberta/Montana border I obtained my last TN-1 work visa. And on October 8th, 2001 (one month after 9-11), I obtained my previous work visa at Pearson Intl Airport (Toronto) with the above mentioned documents.

So if you are a Canadian, it shouldn't matter if you're crossing the border in a car or in an airplane. ;)

And if we send in our application and it doesn't get processed in time, we won't even have our birth certificates

why wouldn't you have your birth cert.???? when i got my pasport you only have to have it to show the person working at the post office!!!!!!!. come to think of it i need to get a cetified copy of my birth cert from my parents so i can renew my pasport..it expired in october.....

Our post offices aren't involved. We'd have to courier our applications to the nearest office, and must send our birth certificates with the application. Other ID can be copies, but birth certificates MUST be originals.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I'm a Canadian living and working in Chicago. I regularly fly between Toronto and Chicago.

I do not have a passport. I have always used simply a photo ID and birth certificate - which togeather form proof of citizenship.

It is the same for Americans traveling to Canada - if you can prove proof of citizenship without a passport, that's all you need. That said, Canadian birth certificates are wallet-sized, so they're a bit easier to bring around with you.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yeah... crazy Canucks.. using a Passport Office instead of the Post office to get a passport..... just crazy....:P

My advice is get a Passport as soon as you can after your trip to the US (once you can live a couple of weeks without the birth certificate). It just makes things so much easier for any travel, and a must for any travel outside of NA. You never know when a great opportunity comes at the last minute for travel...

Remster

My advice is get a Passport as soon as you can after your trip to the US (once you can live a couple of weeks without the birth certificate). It just makes things so much easier for any travel, and a must for any travel outside of NA. You never know when a great opportunity comes at the last minute for travel...

I had a valid passport when I first moved to the US, but in that time it has expired and I never bothered to get in touch with a Canadian consulate here to enquire about getting a new one. But they are good to have.

Hey, wingnut! I just got my passport. They are now taking your birth certificate and mailing it in with your passport application. You get your birth certificate back when you get your passport.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

The current quote for Canuck passports is 10 days if you can apply in person - they were pretty good about that time frame when I applied for mine in Ottawa in '99 - if you have money to toss around, they can have it done in 24 hours.

Alot of bars in the bigger cities refuse out of state drivers licenses (as seemed to be frequently the case in San Fran) and would only accept a passport as an alternate form of ID. Something to keep in mind with proliferation of fake ID's in the US for the under 21 crowd, don't be too surprised if a bouncer doesn't believe your Canuck provincal D/L is valid. Plus they are just a good thing to have if you ever stumble upon cheap travel fare to Cancun or Ibiza ;)

Rather than relying on ancedotal information:

Here:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/passports/get_process_times_e.asp

And INS policy on Canucks entering:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/lawenfor/bmgmt/inspect/docrequirements.htm

(if you are going to travel on a D/L and birth cert., print that INS policy page out - in case they give you a hard time - at least then you can refer them to Immigration and Nationality Act section 212(a)(7).)

Again, not only have I never had problems with my drivers licence/birth certificate at border crossings, nor have I ever had a problem being let into bars with my Ontario drivers license. But then I look like I'm 40, anyways.

I spent today in Detroit renewing my TN visa. As proff of citizenship I used my d/l-b/c and had no issues whatsoever.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.