qtensassy

Pin exposed

In the past couple days I was on 2 separate jumps where the flap covering the main closing pin came open, leaving the pin exposed (one from a funnelled exit and the other from falling into the burble of a jumper that went under me). Thankfully we noticed it on both jumps, stopped turning points and basically just flew in our slots until break-off to avoid any further "mishaps" that might lead to a possible premature deployment. Everything turned out okay with both situations, but it got me thinking a bit... I can think of at least 2 situations that could have happened, 1) horseshoe or 2) full deployment. Each situation has recommended procedures for the jumper with the malfunction, but are there any recommended actions for someone in freefall that might become entangled in either of them (the bridal or the canopy)? Can anyone see any other possible outcomes from the pin being exposed?

You stopped turning points for that?

I guess whatever makes you comfortable, but ????

Edit: dont get me wrong, I'm not flamming you... maybe I'm way too wreckless for my own good, but I've never stoped (or been on) a skydive because of the pin being exposed...
Remster

If you've been told something is dangerous, and equipment has improved enough to make it pretty uncommon, then you have no idea really of how dangerous it is.

I have a picture of myself going through a hoop with my main flap open, and another of me on the ground with my riser (riser keepers were little loops of velcro) down around my elbow. Those kinds of things were common in the late 70's/early 80's.

My point? Well, if someone hasn't thought about the specific dangers of something (e.g. exposed pin), they might not want to introduce a lot of variables into the equation. If it happens again, he, or someone else, might not make the same decision -- there's more information now.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you've been told something is dangerous, and equipment has improved enough to make it pretty uncommon, then you have no idea really of how dangerous it is.

I have a picture of myself going through a hoop with my main flap open, and another of me on the ground with my riser (riser keepers were little loops of velcro) down around my elbow. Those kinds of things were common in the late 70's/early 80's.

My point? Well, if someone hasn't thought about the specific dangers of something (e.g. exposed pin), they might not want to introduce a lot of variables into the equation. If it happens again, he, or someone else, might not make the same decision -- there's more information now.

Wendy W.

Very will put Wendy, each has his/hers own comfort level.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks. I am comfortable with my decision and may or may not make the same one again depending on my skill level and the skill level of those I'm with on the dive.

Is there a preferred course of action if you happen to be totally wrapped up in a canopy in freefall? Has it ever happened before?

Is there a preferred course of action if you happen to be totally wrapped up in a canopy in freefall? Has it ever happened before?

Work the problem and don't panic. Try to get out the way you went in and use your hook knife if necessary. If it's really that bad, dump your reserve into the mess. I know of at least one person who is alive today because they did just that.

Kissing your ass goodbye or tying your shoes is a waste of time when your handles are still stowed...

Bob

Perhaps it's due to my inexperience or just being over cautious, but I didn't want to risk another burble fest that could've possibly pulled the pin out.

Just my 2 cents - I think you and your group did well. You recognized a potential problem, and dealt with it in a safe fashion.

Far better to be on the ground, incident free and wondering what else you could have done, than have a horseshoe caused by another funnel or a dock that goes over the top.
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

Thanks for your support!!! It's nice to know someone else took my fears seriously and that I'm not completely out of my mind for how we handled those particular situations. And thanks for the response on what to do. That's pretty much what I thought but I wasn't sure if someone else would be able to offer some other kind of advice.

Skydivers ROCK!!! I love being a part of this sport! :)

I'm not completely out of my mind for how we handled those particular situations

Sorry again for my initail post... thats why I immediatly added the edit to it to try and make sure you understood I wasnt comming down on you.... always better to err on the side of safety in the face of the unknown.
Remster

Thanks for your support!!! It's nice to know someone else took my fears seriously and that I'm not completely out of my mind for how we handled those particular situations. And thanks for the response on what to do. That's pretty much what I thought but I wasn't sure if someone else would be able to offer some other kind of advice.

This is good, and in this case the "support" and observations given appear to be appropriate as well. However, just one more word of advise ...Just basing it upon your exuberant response:

Be careful in just seeking out (and accepting) advice that merely "SUPPORTS" your feelings or position. I've seen this happen way too often recently in this sport. Often times it is the advice you DON'T like to hear that can still be the most valuable to you in reality.

Just a word to the wise.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

"This is good, and in this case the "support" and observations given appear to be appropriate as well. However, just one more word of advise ...Just basing it upon your exuberant response:

Be careful in just seeking out (and accepting) advice that merely "SUPPORTS" your feelings or position. I've seen this happen way too often recently in this sport. Often times it is the advice you DON'T like to hear that can still be the most valuable to you in reality.

Just a word to the wise."

Agreed. IMO I don't think anyone should just automatically follow any advice given. Just because it may have worked for 1 situation doesn't mean it will work for another. And that's not even taking a life threatening sport like skydiving into consideration. Advice is great to find different ideas, but you should always look at all the angles and determine what is best for you. My exuberant response was more due to helpful posts (I admit, I did feel a bit flamed with the first couple) than because it was a response I already thought of. The actual reason for my post was to see if there were any other alternatives I hadn't thought of.

Thanks for the response. :)

It seems like you've got a pretty good head on your shoulders over this stuff, and I admire already how you have withstood the "flames". I'll have to admit I was one of the ones who imediately had thought to myself: "geesh, what was this kid so worried about just a main flap being open?" -However, I did not post this "immediate" thought, because it did not seem like it (in of itself) would be constructive. After having read through some of these posts now, and the EXPERIENCES & thoughts of others, even with something which on the surface of it may seem just so "simple" (and maybe just so quickly as a result thereby dismissed as trivial) as this for some of us more "experienced", STILL has now given me a deeper perspective from which to consider & approach these matters as well. That's the beauty of having these forums IMHO. ---If you "LISTEN" you can almost always learn something new!

As far as advice seeking, it can be a "trap". Seems like you've considered this from the proper perspective as well. What just frets me is the noob jumper down the DZ looking simply to "justify" his thoughts & desires to for example, downsize quicker than his abilities. Unfortunately I've SEEN way too much of that (and just recently it seems). He'll go around from JM to JM, "friend to friend" etc. asking "what do you think of me jumping this XXX super-hanky?" Even to get 9-10 answers in a row: "that's beyond your ability right now" only to come across ONE PERSON who says "you should be okay with that" ---and BAM! ---Re-affirmation! ...That's now ALL he's heard! :S

Just didn't want to see you (not knowing you) fall into that "trap" is all.

Keep the good head on your shoulders, LISTEN, but then CONSIDER too. Again, sometimes the advice you get might not go so directly with your pre-conceived notions sometimes (just like mine on YOUR situation :)). But when FULLY CONSIDERED, it may be the best advice you're actually receiving.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Kissing your ass goodbye or tying your shoes is a waste of time when your handles are still stowed...

Right..Pull all your handles...And if your buddy is near you, pull HIS handles too...If that does not work....Untie your shoes....Then when the guys come running up on you after you hit...Make the last thing you do in this life to pull their handles..

Pull all the handles till ya run out.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334