Casch

Good Info If You Want To Learn About Skydiving

If your wondering what it is like to skydive, you should check out How Stuff Works

You'll learn what to expect when you jump, you'll learn a little about the gear that is used (more so than you would probably learn if you made only one Tandem jump). You'll also see that skydiving isn't nearly as dangerous as you might think. There are several clips that show how the gear used in skydiving is operated.

And when your finished reading the article, come back here, sign up if you haven't already and introduce yourself. :P

I believe that site has good information but at the same time has information that could be misleading to students. like showing equipment with a Strong Tandem container as a sport rig. I'm not reading in depth but what i have read could be misleading for a woofo.
Just my 2 cents. Great Idea

Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

If your wondering what it is like to skydive, you should check out How Stuff Works

That's a pretty good site with a few factual errors, but overall well done. I question the accident and fatality statistic between skydiving an auto accidents.

The National Safety Council lists an automobile fatality rate of .156 per 1,000 participants in 2000, but the skydiving fatality rate calculated on a 10 year USPA average is about 1.1 per 1,000 participants.

Statistics can be used to say just about anything, so we should be very careful how they are interpreted.

For more discussion of this issue see an article I wrote for the S&TA area of The Ranch web site at: http://ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article7.htm

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Considering that it was written by someone who's made only one jump, that's not a bad article. But a better place to find out about skydiving is right here on dropzone.com. The Safety and Gear sections of this website have LOADS of valuable information, most of which was written by active jumpers.