hooked

Strength needed for skydiving?

Since I have not actually started AFF or SL yet, I think I should ask this question. What kind of strength is needed for the hands in landing a chute? I ask because, I might be developing some arthritis in my fingers and if that is going to play a role in being able to pull on the toggles, I think I would want to know. Repetitive use seems to leave me in a bit of pain and the finger joints swollen.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

You don't have to grip the toggles hard, you can slide your hand (to the thumb, I wouldn't recommend past it, incase something happens and you have to pull your hand out) into the toggle. This way you only have to keep your hand closed to keep the toggle from sliding off the end of your hand, not actually pulling with your hand.

As for strength needed for piloting a canopy, generally speaking, if you have the stregnth to live out your normal life, then you should not have a problem there.

(edited since I left out a very important "not" in the last line...d'oh)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks, I was wondering about the 'gripping' part, because that would be the problem. Strength, I have. Actually, it has been just recently that I have noticed the sore joints, but only if I have repeatedly had to do repetitive gripping.

I've been here awhile, and it is so hard to post and try to word stuff, so that someone doesn't "take off" with the wording.:S Sometimes things are just taken the wrong way, and I find myself trying to word things so that won't happen!:D

J

J

As for strength needed for piloting a canopy, generally speaking, if you have the stregnth to live out your normal life, then you should not have a problem there.

I remember on my first solo jump, I was really nervous about how hard it would be to pull on a toggle. I thought it was going to be like steering the tandem (on which I practically needed both hands to make 90 degree turn!).

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Couple of friends of mine had similar problems with the finger joints.

Have you tried taking Glucosamine & Chrondroitin capsules? They seem to do absolutely nothing and then suddenly the problem disappears after about a month.

Also, get a packing tool if you are going to be packing - much easier on the fingers than a normal pull up chord.

I feel like such a wimp after reading the other responses. When i first started jumping, i was under a Manta 288. I didn't have the strength to fully flare the thing. Also as a student by my 3rd jump of the day, i was so physically exhausted. I guess it's one of those things you won't really know if you have the strength until you try it.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

There's a huge difference among canopies. You don't get to choose when you're a student, but take into account the difficulty of flaring whenever you go to buy gear (and get advice anyway -- there might be a choice among the student gear at your DZ).
There are canopies I find very tiring to steer, and I'm not particularly weak. Maybe it's the trim on that particular canopy, maybe it's the type -- both can happen.
Of course, rounds have almost no toggle pressure ;)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Couple of friends of mine had similar problems with the finger joints.

Have you tried taking Glucosamine & Chrondroitin capsules? They seem to do absolutely nothing and then suddenly the problem disappears after about a month.

Hey, thanks, I have thought about it, I just hate taking pills though. Worth a shot anyway.

Casch, you made a good point about the cold. That probably has a lot to do with it also.

I guess I should have reworded this post and left out the "strength" part. I have the strength (I think):S. It wasn't the strength, I was concerned about.

J

I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers that only bother me in cooler weather, but the way the toggles are made, you use your hand, not your fingers anyway. I think any person of normal strength would have no problem with canopy control.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Hey,I,m a 120 weakling(the skinniest guy ever!)Seriously,have had some hand problems with some arthritis in my hands over many years of jumping.BEWARE,the COLD weather,my solution after my first 3 years jumping was to TAKE THE WINTER OFF!Better yet, jump all year round in Florida or California,Arizona.

I've also had trouble flaring my canopy. I start to flare and get to about my collarbone and then.....ugh....so I get in my head that I need to REALLY push to get past my collarbone. Once the resistance gives there, I end up slamming down into the bottom of my flare because I've pushed so darn hard. On the recommendation of one of my JM's, I've started doing a lot of tricep work because my lack of strength there seems to be the cause of the problem. I've been rowing for about 10 years and have no tricep strength. I can pull really hard on an oar, though :P Does anyone have any other recommendations?

What size canopy are you jumping? And what is your wingloading? It's probably because you're still a student and under a bus of a canopy. I had some trouble flaring when I was on a big student rig. Now I'm still on a big canopy (210!!!), but have no worries.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Actually, if the 145 lbs. is your weight out the door, your wingloading is closer to .65. :)

-Miranda

Actually, if the 145 lbs. is your weight out the door, your wingloading is closer to .65. :)

145 lbs. is my body weight---I'm estimating my weight out the door is closer to 180 lbs with my gear on (I'd be pretty skinny if my weight out the door was 145 at 5'-9" :)

VEry good tip about the glucosomine & Condroton. Sorry about the spelling! I've heard some REALLY good results from people who've taken those, inaddition to my experience, too, but I haven't taken those in quite a while...
AND in my humble opinion: you really need to take them as advised and for about 6 weeks or before you start seeing good results from using them.

Well...that's just my $.02 worth anyhow.;)