tombuch

Yellow License Cards

There has been some discussion on another thread about an American DZ that closed permanently, and the students didn't have USPA "A" license cards filled out. The lack of cards or logbooks may make it difficult for current students to continue at another DZ.

Some dropzones like to keep all the student records "in-house" to prevent students from going to other businesses. These DZ's don't provide take home logbooks or license cards, and the student is really stuck in their program.

Other schools like to fill out the yellow license card just once, at the end of the program, but document progress in the student logbook after each jump. The instructors handling cards this way feel that it is easier to fill out the card just once, and that doing it this way prevents the problems of lost cards. Often, students in this kind of school don't even know there is a license card, or what the requirements are until they finish the program.

Students should understand exactly what is expected of them, and should be able to use the yellow card as a motivating checklist. Ideally, a school will work on specific tasks on each jump, but if not, a student who has a yellow card can provide a bit of pressure on the instructors to do so.

One of the great things about the USPA Integrated Student program (ISP) is that it sets up a clear progression and helps the student to self motivate and direct the training. The yellow "A" license cards are a big part of this self motivation.

Suggestion: If you are a student you should be using a yellow proficiency card and asking your instructor to fill out completed tasks on EVERY jump. The school should provide you with a card, or at least a Xerox copy of a card.

If the school doesn't provide a card you can download one from the USPA web site at USPA.org. The link is on the left of the home page and is marked Docs and Forms. From that link click on Forms, then Licenses. There are two "A" license proficiency cards available. The four page card is for DZ's using the ISP, the two page card is for DZ's not using the ISP. The four page card is far more specific and can be used by every student.

If you are a student, get a card NOW. read the ISP in the Skydivers Information Manual and demand that your instructor provide all the training in that program. Some schools will use a different program and cover the material in a different order, but you should make sure that everything is covered before you graduate.

Learning anything requires a good instructor and an involved student. Be part of the process.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, Tandem, IAD)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

"Other schools like to fill out the yellow license card just once, at the end of the program, but document progress in the student logbook after each jump."

Thanks for the update, Tom

The above is the scenario I'm in. I've got a current logbook, but only received my yellow card after asking for it, and it's not filled out. My JM has a file on every student which may include more detail than the logbook.

I'll try to get the file, when I attempt to "cash-in" my remaining jump ticket. GRRRRRRRRR !!

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Very well said.:)
I'm so glad I have a logbook and A card to see how I'm doing and what needs to be done. I have a long way to go, but I can see how the objectives are helping me learn and how much progress I'm making.

IMHO all students should be very involved in the responsibility of their learning and progress. If you don't understand--ask.If you have a question--ask. If you are uncomfortable--let someone know and work it out. Take the time you need to get things right. Don't just sit back and expect to be spoon fed in this sport. Do that and things are gonna get ugly. You have to work and you have to want it bad. I've just recently learned all this for myself first hand.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Tom, you make a very good point. My friend at the "ranch" just got his yellow card, and was going over it. I am out for the season with an injury, but when I start in Apr, the first thing I am getting is the yellow card. It lays out all the requirements, so us students know what to do.

If I hadn't seen my buddy's, I would have been clueless on all the requirements.

C.