lowpullin1

Cross Country!!

did a cross county on my new heatwave 135. got out 10 away from the dropzone and the GPS said i was doing 92 knots. i made i back to the dz by 3 grand. that was really cool. will have to try it again. :ph34r:

"It's hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys."
My Website

I did a cross-country once where we got out over the DZ and just flew as far downwind as we could. From 3000m we got about 10km away I think.

We of course studied the winds beforehand and checked the map for an approximate landing area. We also had a pickup car ready, and all of us had cellphones with us. The six of us landed in four different places though if I recall correctly...B| I landed on a medium-sized clearing in the woods, and had to hike through a km of thick woods and shrubbery, with an open canopy...

Ummm....did an unplanned 'cross-country' on jump#48.:S

Cessna-182 that took ~30 minutes to climb to altitude...
Ground winds picked up considerably on the way up...
Flying borrowed student gear--Goliath-378 (loaded at .38:1) ...
Opened East(downwind) of the DZ (boogie in a farmer's field)...
Couldn't penitrate the prevailing winds:o...

Landed 2 miles downwind, in the -only- clearing around, but by a house under construction with powerlines and broken pallets all around.[:/]

Lessons learned! Bought my own canopy soon thereafter...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

92Knts... Damn, You would put some light A/C to shame with that ground speed.B|
Nice one.

...sounds like riding a hurricane;)

I did a cross country in 0 winds on Contrail150, covered 7km distance from 3.6km altitude. The horizontal speed with brakes set - 38km/h, full glide - 53km/h ... and after 90deg toggle turn on landing - 73km/h. That's according to my Garmin GPS12 B|

Bloody hell luis... LOL ;)
These XCountries are pretty serious stuff, the next thing I'll be hearing about is people getting out with a WAC and chestmounted VOR.
How did you go with your time estimates in each sector..... just kidding.

The last time I did a Xcountry was unintetional a few years back, caused by cloud and some even sillyer people getting out before me. I must say I was so far out a GPS may of come in handy. B|

Obes :)

had to hike through a km of thick woods and shrubbery, with an open canopy...

that is why ya should always jump with a pull up cord on ya... trash pack the canopy quickly and then atleast it's in the container...... i have done this once on a really really long spot.... it helped so much on the long walk back to the dz across cow fields in high winds...