quade

MARATHON - Three skydivers injured during weekend jumps - Press Clips

http://keysnews.com/305080876837198.bsp.htm

Three skydivers injured during weekend jumps

keysnews.com

MARATHON -- Three people were injured -- two seriously -- in two separate parachuting accidents at the Marathon airport on Saturday.

The first incident occurred around 2 p.m. when a skydiver, drifting at approximately 60 feet, hit what is known as 'bad air,' or a wind pocket, and fell to the ground.

Jeff Baligalupo was airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center after preliminary evaluations indicated he had suffered a broken right femur and hip. A witness account described Baligalupo heading towards power lines, then suddenly veering towards the right before hitting the ground at high velocity.

The second incident, which occurred around 5 p.m., involved two skydivers who collided. Erica Brown, 18, and Jorge Soto, 52, were parachuting in close vicinity to one another when Brown was suddenly thrust toward Soto. Soto tried to move away, but his foot hit Brown's head. She fell into water with her parachute open and was unconscious when rescued. Soto received medical treatment and was released; Brown was airlifted to a Miami hospital by TraumaStar and the extent of her injuries was unknown.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Erica Brown has two non-displaced vertebral fractures with no neurological deficit. She was unconscious when she landed in the water and was rescued about two minutes after impact. She had of course aspirated more than a little water.

The last report I have is from last night -- Erica was awake and responding to others, she recognized her friends and was aware that she was in an accident. She was asking to have the respirator tube removed and was doing well enough that they were going to do so last night. She was still in ICU because they have to be wary of aspiration pneumonia. If all went as planned, she should be in a regular bed now.

Erica will have to wear a neck brace for a while but barring any complications she should recover fully.

Lesson to be (re)learned here -- keep your head on a swivel and clear your airspace before manuvering your canopy! Lynn and I have known Erica since she was 14 and watched her grow as a sweet young woman and very good skydiver; we aren't the only ones who regard her like a daughter or niece, there were a lot of people holding each other while we watched the rescue efforts. We are very grateful that one of the first people on the scene was a nurse and took great care of her.

To repeat, keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your airspace. Someone didn't and a young girl had to spend her 18th birthday in intensive care. We're just glad she had a birthday on Sunday!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Jack -

Can you give some details on what actually happened? Being "thrust towards" each other, and a foot hitting a head... I'm assuming it was a canopy collision, but on opening? landing? someone turn into someone else?

And here's hoping Erica recovers fully, quickly.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Jack -

Can you give some details on what actually happened? Being "thrust towards" each other, and a foot hitting a head... I'm assuming it was a canopy collision, but on opening? landing? someone turn into someone else?

And here's hoping Erica recovers fully, quickly.

George and Erica collided under canopy after exiting from the Allouette. I do not know who was at fault; I've only hearsay to go on, so I will not pass that on.

George's foot struck Erica straight on in the head hard enough to wrench his shoe off and give him a very sore foot. Erica was knocked out on impact despite wearing her full face helmet.

Did anyone else have any experience with "air pockets" in the area? I have experienced this in very limited form, but this one sounds pretty bad (6o feet). I'd expect that others nearby would have noticed shaky wind conditions.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Jeff Baligalupo was airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center after preliminary evaluations indicated he had suffered a broken right femur and hip. A witness account described Baligalupo heading towards power lines, then suddenly veering towards the right before hitting the ground at high velocity.

dreamsville - it sounds more like a low turn to avoid an obstacle than turbulence. I could be wrong, I wasn't there and am just judging that on what the article said. Of course, the article was a little conflicting, also mentioning "air pockets" - which I assume they're talking about turbulence.

dreamsville - it sounds more like a low turn to avoid an obstacle than turbulence. I could be wrong, I wasn't there and am just judging that on what the article said. Of course, the article was a little conflicting, also mentioning "air pockets" - which I assume they're talking about turbulence.

Good guess, WB.

We were watching this jumper (who had gone way too far downwind) flying in deep brakes and wondering why he didn't just let it fly, as he would have made it back to the airport even though just barely. We finally figured that he wasn't sure he'd make it so was heading for a very small yard just off the edge of the field. At the last second, it appearred he finally saw the power lines and made a radical turn to avoid them.

Sounds all too familiar, doesn't it?

Does anyone know if this jumper was required to wear corrective lenses for driving? Was he wearing them on this jump?

My point is that I know people who need glasses for driving but don't wear them for jumping. This, I just don't understand. Seems like a reasonable (albeit guess) as to why this person, and others, "suddenly" realize there are powerlines. If you see a straight line on the ground....chances are it's man made.

Again, not saying that's what happened here, but it is something to consider in your own jumping career.

Chris Schindler

If you see a straight line on the ground....chances are it's man made.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. We had a girl fly into the powerlines a few weeks ago. Powerlines, while sometimes hard to spot themselves, are easily identified by the large wooden poles typically holding them up. And they normally run right next to a road. There are exceptions of course. Yet another reason to pick your landing area out early, especially if you're in unfamiliar area. Pick it early, don't try to get as close to the DZ as possible - safe, not close. Give yourself time to scout out your intended landing area.

Jack, it sounds like is a tight landing area at this boogie. Was there too much air traffic, too many jumpers for the area or anything else that could be changed to make the landings better?

Guess it depends on how you define "tight". The targeted landing area was indeed narrow and slightly crosswind, but it was half a mile long! Plus there were safe landing areas on the other half of the airport that were used by those with more sense than bravado.

The main problem was jumpers not following the posted traffic pattern or extending their downwind legs way too far. Of course, trying to get skydivers to listen can be like herding eels.:(

I was also watching Jeff try to make it back after going to far on his downwind leg. He was doing fine until treetop level when he turned at least 90 degrees very abruptly and dove below the treeline. I ran over and did my best to immobilize him until a much better trauma-trained skydiver took over and really did a great job. I did not observe any eyeglasses. The talk of "air pockets" is just whuffo newspaper talk.

The landing area was "tight", but not in a way that precluded making a safe landing somewhere on the airport. The landing area was on the west end of the airport and we were able to make safe landings even when getting out last and dumping over the eastern end. I watched a 50 way all land in it at about the same time. It was pretty hairy looking, but they pulled it off. The key was to not go downwind of the landing area. Everyone I observed landing off (maybe ten all weekend) had flown too far on their downwind leg.

I also saw Erica as she was headed out to sea. We thought that she knew she was going to land off anyway, and was running with the wind to avoid the trees. I was expecting to see a turn into the wind, but thought the trees were probably in my way. If I had known she was unconcious, i would have hopped in the car and tried to do something. The allouette immediately flew to her landing site, so I could see the situation was being handled. I was greatly relieved to hear she was rescued. She was extremely lucky. It sounds like her helmet may have saved her from a permanent head injury and the guys that pulled her out of the water have all my respect.

marathon.jpg