CrazyIvan

Books and videos

Hi there!!!,

I'm a student and I'm wondering if any of you guys can give a suggestion about books and videos, I have seen some all over the net, but, when I read the reviews some say they suck or others it rules, in any case, I'd like to know your opinion.B|

I really like the Lord of teh Rings, both on video and the printed form...

What are you wanting from these, how to pack, how to freefly, how to belly fly, or just some eye candy?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Actually what I'd like is to get some more info about canopy control, freefall (not really freefly) stuff like that.

BTW, I like Lord of the Rings books, but I like the movie better ;)

I never had the patience to read Lord of the Rings, but I loved the movie.

As for learning how to pack, "Pack like a Pro" is a great video training aid. Once you have watched the video a dozen times, you will find that supervised packing lessons go much quicker.

Skydive University's "Basic Canopy Flight 101" is an excellent book/video combination for learning all the canopy flying tricks that you should be learning when you have more than 5 jumps.

Somebody put a link on here a while back called "Survival Skills For Canopy Control", or something like that. It was excellent - well worth printing out and keeping.

Maybe someone remembers where I saw it, or try a search.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Somebody put a link on here a while back called "Survival Skills For Canopy Control", or something like that.

Is this the one you meant? I've printed it out, to add to my information binder.

http://www.skydiveaz.com/resource.htm

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Hi there!!!,

I'm a student and I'm wondering if any of you guys can give a suggestion about books and videos, I have seen some all over the net, but, when I read the reviews some say they suck or others it rules, in any case, I'd like to know your opinion

I'll offer a great reference for Parachuting, The Skydivers Handbook by Dan Poynter. It is loaded with information and will be a good reference text for years to come. It is well worth the cost.

I also suggest you pick up a copy of the USPA Skydivers Information Manual (SIM), available from USPA by phone (703-836-2843), or as a free download on their web site (uspa.org). As a purchase it's about 24.00. The SIM is a must have book for students.

Now, let me offer a blatant commercial plug for my own book called "Jump! Make Your First Skydive Fun and Easy" to be published by McGraw-Hill in February. It is currently available on Amazon.com as a preorder, with shipping early next year. Jump! is targeted at 1st and 2nd time jumpers, and those who haven't tried skydiving yet but wonder what our sport is about. It is probably not what you are looking for, but well worth recommending for whuffos once it prints. Check it out in February.--end blatant commercial plug--

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Skydivers Handbook is great , particularly for a newbie. I read Lord of the Rings (all 3 books) when I was about 17 -- incredible literature! Joe Jenning's "Good Stuff" video is good, just because is is full of cool skydiving shit! Lots of "don't try this at home" stuff!