CrazyIvan

Pulling Reserve!!!!

Just curious, but according to the USPA, the reserve parachute must be re-packed by a FAA rigger every 120 days even if it this hasn't been used, my question is, if I'm due to get my reserve re-packed, may I jump and deploy my reserve instead of my main?.
As you can see I'm a newbie, so please pardon my ignorance. :P

Uh, yeah, that's a good idea. Let everyone know how it works out. /reply]

Excuse me for saying so, but I don't think this is a good place for sarcasm... It may seem obvious to us, but think back when you were new, it probably didn't seem like such a bad idea.

At any rate, DON'T do it Ivan... Talk to your instructor, and don't feel bad, I was thinking I was going to try the same thing when I started, casually mentioned it to my DZO... I think I'm causing him to start going bald by now. :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

Whoa!!!!, NO WAY I'M DOING THAT!!!, I was just 'asking', just needed a point of view, an opinion, I know I'm crazy but not stupid.
We are just discussing things here, that's how we learn.

Uh, yeah, that's a good idea. Let everyone know how it works out.

This isn't productive, Jimbo, and I find it really rude.

Crazy Ivan, the reserve is your last chance. You absolutely don't want to use it unless you have to.

But I bet your rigger will tell you you're more than welcome to pull your handles on the ground before a repack, which is good practice.

I see you jump a PD reserve. Performance Designs has a demo program for reserves -- if you want to do a practice jump on one, shoot them an e-mail and they'll send you one for a fee to hook up to your rig and try out.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Side note to anyone reading this... if you have a question feel free to ask, but if its a question that has a high probility of getting a lot of "your stupid if you do that" type responces... Search the archives in the fourms, then search the different areas at the top of the page for info and if those don't answer your question... post it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Crazy Ivan, the reserve is your last chance. You absolutely don't want to use it unless you have to.

She's right, not only is your reserve is absolutely your last chance...

* They don't always work.
* If it malfunctions you can't cut it away.

You've got the facts, you make the call.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Thank you all for your replies.

Wow, I didn't know a little question could cause all this.

For the record: I WAS ONLY ASKING, I don't want you people to think I'm a total moron or a loser, I'm just a box full of questions, that's all.

Thank you all for your replies.

Wow, I didn't know a little question could cause all this.

For the record: I WAS ONLY ASKING, I don't want you people to think I'm a total moron or a loser, I'm just a box full of questions, that's all.

You are neither a moron nor a loser, it is the question that you don't ask that will kill you. And by the by, I had the same thought too, but I asked (howbeit very quietly) at my home dz. Keep asking, stay safe, stay alive.

Blue Skies
Christian

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

To give another perspective, there is a way to do this, although it's controversial. People do sometimes perform intentional cutaways as training.

You can theoretically modify your harness to accept a clipped-on belly mount round reserve. Then you're carrying a third parachute which with extra training, luck, and your favorite diety's cooperation, can be your extra last chance.

This jump would require a fair amount of training, planning, and oddball equipment and will likely get you a mixed reaction from the bystanders at your DZ. Some will probably get nasty at me for even mentioning it as there seems to be a conspiracy of silence about oddball jumps.

By the way, I am NOT recommending this jump to you. I'm just letting you know that it's possible and other people have done it. It's better to know what's really out there than just the short list of socially approved ideas.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I was gonna bring that up too. The intentional cutaway is done from higher altitude, and you are wearing a tertiary reserve. I didn't think you had to modify your harness though...

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I didn't think you had to modify your harness though...

I know you have to add another set of d-rings, to attach the third canopy to. I'm not sure if there are any other mods. Wendy Faulkner (crew forum moderator) would be a good source of info for this, as she's done a few intentional cutaway's, and has a rig set up for them.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

intentional cutaways can be done wearing a harness under your rig. Set up the cutaway canopy with risers and a 3 ring system. But the cutaway harness on and then your rig on over it. You can jump out with the canopy you intend to cut away in a box, in a bag, a d bag, anything just to keep it contained until you clear the plane. Then you can cut away, freefall (ofcourse we're talking higher altitudes) and then deploy your main as you would normally.

"I am not recommending that anyone tries this stunt described above. I may know something or nothing at all. Consult your local S&TA before conducting any type of cutaway"
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I think the FARs rquire that the reserve be on the same harness.

Also, don't apologize for asking questions that get some rude answers. It is the rude person who should apologize. I am a fan of sarcasm though, but it works better in person than in print.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I was gonna bring that up too. The intentional cutaway is done from higher altitude, and you are wearing a tertiary reserve. I didn't think you had to modify your harness though...

Hi James,
D*** did this several years ago.
His Rig has the extra rings for the tertiary.
An advisory came out on the spring on his reserve so
he thought he would test it out.
Jumps,pulls cuts away main......pulls silver......
nothing.
deploys, tertiary (round) opening shock pops reserve
he grabs it bundles it in his arms.
(D*** is a very experienced skydiver has over 5000 jumps, this was some time ago probably had over
2000 jumps at the time)

I very well know the RESERVE is the last resort, I'm not planning in doing something stupid, perhaps, when I get enough experience I could try something like that, but not before asking 298467394963498239746364234 questions about it, I'm new to skydiving, and you will have to excuse one or 2 of these unusual questions, you guys are great.

I very well know the RESERVE is the last resort,

If you 'very well know that the RESERVE is the last resort', then why ask the question? Why even suggest that anyone might want to consider doing a jump and ignoring their main parachute?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You guys, it was a question. That's all. A question. So quit criticizing him on it. He was just wondering, and it was a valid question. I am so sick of reading all these posts about how stupid someone is or how dumb of a question is was that they asked. The fact is CrazyIvan's question has already been answered, and it has already been established that the reserve is the last resort and that CrazyIvan knows this. Any other replies to this thread, unless they are an important and valid addition to the thread, are irrelavent. So please, if you have a valid comment, make your statement. Otherwise you need not post. Thank you CrazyIvan for asking the question. The fact is I was wondering the same thing (how would you go about doing an intentional cutaway to be precise) and now I know. Keep asking questions and just ignore the people that criticize you on them, it just shows you how small a person can really be. Blue Skys