CrazyIvan

Life after AFF

I need just an opinion.

How soon after graduating you should consider start your 'training' in the discipline of your liking? say for example, camera work? (could be freeflying etc)

By training I mean, focusing into the discipline you want to be good at.

If I were you I would wait at least 80 or 100 jumps before diving head first into any one discipline. Think about it, you've just completed AFF, how do you know which discipline is your favorite? Get out and play a little, get to know people in ALL disciplines before you devote a lot of time and energy to one of them.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Quite frankly, I really like Camera work and Formations, that really caught my attention.

I'm also interested in putting a small video camera on my noggin for some jumps, but I know my skills need to be improved before I start doing that sort of thing.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will come along and set us straight, but let's just say that for now your RW and free flying skills need to be rock solid before we start videoing others in free fall. We need total body control to be close enough to make the video look good yet far enough away to make the skydive safe to everyone involved.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I had in mind 100+ jumps before attempting videoing others.

You might want to add another + to that.... camera flying carries with it a laundry list of issues that you need experience with. there were three camera fatalities in the US last year.... it's not as easy as some make it look. There are a few camera fliers on the site, see what they have to say.

200+ is a better number. Looking back at it.... I had no idea what I was getting into when I straped a camera on at 200 jumps. I've gone low, about had high speed collisions, near canopy wraps and a few other things happen since I was more interested in getting the shot then I was on paying attention to my surroundings when i was learning camera flying.

Honestly... get some canopy coaching first. Freefall is fun, but canopy skills will keep you alive. Then some RW coaching. Try a bit of freeflying and CRW in there too. CRW will teach you more things then you will ever know and its a lot of fun too. Then get good at flying your body in what ever position you want. Not good as in I can fly down to a 16 way and get to my slot... good like I'm last diver and can beat half the load to the formation before you look at video.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone just gave you some good feedback. Especially the parts about becoming a good canopy pilot.

If we forget about the camera work for now and concentrate on the title of this thread "Life after AFF" you're like an infant who's just been released from the hospital after your birth (skydiving birth that is) and I'm just a toddler learning how to walk so I'm not all that far ahead of you. ;)

Get out there and have some fun. Learn how to fall on your belly. Get some RW coaching and if you're lucky, you're jumping at a DZ where people will invite you onto some RW jumps (it looks like I'll have to visit another DZ to get some RW practice in as my home DZ isn't a big-way RW type of place. There's tons of tandems, free fliers and too much solo jumping). Anyway, once you're comfortable with your belly flying and if you're jumping a free fly friendly rig, try some dark side jumps. It will be quite the wake up call (at least it was for me) as to how to control your body in the relative wind.

Just get out there and jump as much as you can, have fun and be safe. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Like others said. Before you can video FS you have to be good at FS. Ditto for freeflying.... So just start working on your skills in that discipline, and add the camera later. Your local advisors will likely be glad to tell you when you are ready to add the camera.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Mmmm...I think I was right on the money, considering I'm VERY new to this sport (which I love), 200+ jumps is a good number and I'm in NO RUSH, I just like to ask and learn.

Thanks a bunch guys.

I don't know about anywhere else...

but here, you need your C licence before you can jump a camera (100 jumps).

Also, to get to you B licence, you need to complete the B-rel table. Its about 9-10 two way jumps where you learn different manoevers required for RW jumps. The graduation jumps are 4 ways that the student organises. So by the time you get to your C licence, you should have a basic understanding of how to move your body in freefall, not that I'm saying you'd be an expert....
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I believe that in the UK you need 200 jumps to jump camera but you may have other rules where you are so it'll be worth checking these out.

As for other training (having just got my FS1) after getting in a few fun jumps after your consols I would recommend starting your training as soon as you can to ensure that you don't pick up any bad habits, I know that I picked some up and it was a lot hard to "unlearn" them.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!