Mattias148

Abbreviations...

I am a newbie to this excellent site and a foreign bloke at that so please excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes. However I have found some abbreviations that I don't quite understand can anyone please direct me to a URL that explains them?

Yes, yes, I know I should know them all by now but I blame it on the language gap so please don't ridicule my ignorance.

"Pull low, pack fast or boink your riggers girlfriend. 3 good ways to find trouble."

IAD - Instructor assited deployment. Similiar to static line, but the instructor holds your pilot chute and releases it after you exit the plane.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

Both names are used. Here in Finland we still call it JAD, but in the States it's called IAD.

Maybe(assumption alert!) in the States(and other places?) they changed the name to IAD since they no longer train new jumpmasters(but instead Coaches who can continue training to become Instructors)?

Hmm. Anyone care to shed some light on this naming issue?

Erno

Both names are used. Here in Finland we still call it JAD, but in the States it's called IAD.

Maybe(assumption alert!) in the States(and other places?) they changed the name to IAD since they no longer train new jumpmasters(but instead Coaches who can continue training to become Instructors)?

Hmm. Anyone care to shed some light on this naming issue?

Erno

I am an IAD/JM here in the States. It has always been known as IAD at the DZ's I have been to that use it. I guess Instructor sounds better to a student than Jumpmaster.:)
Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Remster got it right.
The technique has been called Instrutor Assisted Deployment since it was invented in Alabama or Georgia in the mid 1970s.
When Tom MacCarthy imported the technique to Gananoque, Ontario in 1979, he called it IAD.
All the other Canadian DZs called it IAD when they adopted the technique during the 1980s.
When American DZs caught up in the 1990s, they continued with the original term: IAD.