chriswelker

USPA Group Membership opinion

I see the coach rating as a way to implement the ISP, and I see the ISP as a good attempt at keeping skydivers alive.

It's all that and more. Back in the day it only took about 50-100 jumps to become a static line jumpmaster. Those programs are becoming very limited. It takes 500 jumps to be a tandem instructor, and six hours off freefall time to be an AFF instructor, so in the absense of an old fashioned SL or IAD program there was no formal entry point for low time skydivers into the instructional path.

The Coach program presents a low-time jumper with the knowledge and mentoring needed to be a valuable and contributing part of the instructional community. It is designed to enhance the student experience, and also to bring skydivers into the instructional track.

The coach program is optional but it does seem to enhance retention and training where it is used.

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The Coach program presents a low-time jumper with the knowledge and mentoring needed to be a valuable and contributing part of the instructional community. It is designed to enhance the student experience, and also to bring skydivers into the instructional track.

Tom how many coach jumps did u pay for as a newbie?

Tom how many coach jumps did u pay for as a newbie?

None. I began skydiving in 1979 when there were no coach jumps. I made a few jumps with well intentioned skydivers who had a hard time teaching anything, and mostly just jumped with another low-timer while trying not to kill each other. I should mention that was back in the day when the United States had about 50 fatalities each year, and just half the total number of jumpers. We've learned a few things since then, and I'd rather we not go back to the way it was.
-tb
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

should mention that was back in the day when the United States had about 50 fatalities each year, and just half the total number of jumpers. We've learned a few things since then, and I'd rather we not go back to the way it was.

come now Tom, the coaches rating is responsible for all that? Or Is it the group member program that has so "helped" the new up jumper. I didn't start in 1979, I started in 1996. I never had to, never needed to buy a coach jump. I have more than a few friends that learned to skydive at a nongroup member dz. You know what, they could skydive just as well as the skydivers that learned at a member dz. You know the one big thing I did notice. Skydives at the nonmember dz were 2-3 bucks cheaper. The planes were in better shape, heck they even gave out free rubber bands in the packing tent.
I do not want to go back to the 70's just want OUR CLUB back. My beef isn't with you I just don't want the fox watching the hen house. But you keep telling me how nice the fox is.