Cepheus

Skydiving and sinus trouble... Help?

I have this friend who's interested in jumping. He went to the DZ with me when I made my first tandem, and rode up on the plane with me.

Turns out, his ride down was pretty painful... For 3 days after, his sinuses were still messed up, and he couldn't hear out his left ear, from the pressure. He didn't have a cold or any other sinus trouble at the time.

He wants to jump, but this is keeping him from trying.

I usually don't have this problem. I can almost always regulate my sinus pressure at will, without having to do anything special. He's tried chewing gum, yawning, stretching his jaw, swallowing hard, blowing while closing his nose... Nothing works, he says.

I do know how he feels, though. Last Saturday, I was on a load after having a week-long series of colds. Before the jump I thought I was fine... Long story short, I had to ride the plane down, and despite the fact that the pilot took it slow for me, well... I know why my friend thinks this will keep him from jumping... Oww...

Does anyone out there have any ideas that might help? He's willing to try anything...

Thanks in advance guys. :)
--
Skydive -- testing gravity, one jump at a time.

try searching old posts for more info on this. When i had the same problem and yes it was just one ear i search the posts and found all sorts of things to try. I even went as far as looking at putting tubes in my ears so i could jump without worry. Thankfully i found one that worked. Just after my canopy opened i plugged my nose and blew hard and wow it worked. I have to do this every jump now so i wont have any problems but its worth it. This might be a little tmi but if he tries this and it works watch out for the drainage it was enough to almost make me sick the first time. I hope this worked and didn't gross anyone out.
good luck

My sinus problems are reletively minor, but enough I that I too pop a Sudafed ( I find the little red ones work best-) and also do the Valsalva manuver (hold your nose and blow-) and it works great. I ususally clear my head under canopy and somteimes again on the ground.
One other thing I noticed is it seems to get better the more often I jump-
I hear reducing your intake of dairy products is also helpful. If I'm off base on anything, please feel free to chime in!

Easy Does It

I don't know if this will be very helpful for your friend but I take an Allegra D and snort some Afrin, severe congestion, in the morning before jumps. I've had some really bad trouble with my sinuses and ears. Between childhood infections, scuba and jumping I've ruptured my eardrums 6 times and know the pain your friend experienced. If you roll your neck while clearing your ears you stretch and open the estachian(sp) tube and it will make it easier to clear. Hope this helps a bit.
Later
Gabe

If his sinus problems persist, there is only one thing your friend should do: Go see a doctor that specializes in that area of expertise.

He may just have some mild sinus-bug that he may not realize he has. But if the symptoms persist for more than a few weeks, he may have some type of obstruction that will need to be checked.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

FLONASE;)>Used it while waitning for my "op".
I finally got my sinuses operated on due to the pain.
At Rantoul I had to take a day off due to the pain.(hot=day,FREEZING!=night) I was compelled to grab my nose and pop my ears in freefall:S
Doing GREAT now!
p.s. I sleep through the night now too.:)

Popping a Sudafed non-drowsy tablet about an hour before take-off usually works well or a couple of snorts of Sinex (non-drowsy sinus clear spray) first thing in the morning. A trip to a steam room can also help.

After a while of regular jumping the ears seem to toughen up and don't need any medication any more.

Hey Dumpster,

Just wondering what effects dairy product have on your sinuses, never heard that one before.

I drink loads of Milk, probably a couple of pints a day! Much better than fizzy drinks during lunchtime and with my dinner.

And I too get sore ears when I jump.
When I first started I used to get it alot but the more I jump the better it gets, until the point where I hardly even noticed it. But if I don't jump for a while then they get sore again.

Ric

There is also a steroid nasal spray that he can get over the counter called Nasalcrom. It used to be available only by prescription, but it is now sold to the masses. Steroid sprays are good for people who have allergy problems because you can use it daily without suffering the side effects that regular nose spray gives you. Of course, he should consult with his doctor first.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon