JamesNahikian

USPA Candidate Winsor Naugler

Winsor Naugler: . . . I can't imagine why any other jumper wouldn't vote for him.

Winsor's past invocation of "afro-engineering" and similar epithets troubles me and I chose not to vote for him.

I urge all jumpers to search Winsor's postings to the rec.skydiving newsgroup and reach their own determination as to his suitability as a public representative of our purportedly inclusive sport.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

>Winsor's past invocation of "afro-engineering" and similar epithets
> troubles me and I chose not to vote for him.

I've heard his jokes too and they're awful. I have never known him to be prejudiced against any group, although he is hideously politicially incorrect.

Have you met, or jumped with the man?

He very deliberately steers away from political correctness, very true.

I will vote for him because of his attitude towards skydiving and skydivers in general, not because he doesn't choose to watch what he's saying.

I find the lack of regard for the individual skydiver the crucial issue and Winsor is the apotheosis of the fun jumper. Other than a rigger's ticket, he doesn't do a thing to earn money skydiving. And his rigging is pretty much limited to his rigs and helping out a jumper or two during a boogie after a reserve ride.

Winsor's a good man; why don't you email him and address your greviences to him? I don't have his address but you can Google search rec.skydiving for it.

-Sandy

I would hope the phrase "afro-engineering" is less offensive than the (commonly used) phrase it replaces, i.e. the one that starts with the letter n and ends with "rigging".

I also think that most anyone who searches Google for Winsor's posts containing "african", "negro", or "sub-saharan" will find that your concerns are not founded in any prejudice on Winsor's part.

"I work with people from all over the planet, and consider it entirely unimportant what is someone's ethnic origin. Ability, like incompetence, recognizes no such boundaries." Winsor Naugler, 5/24/01

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

although he is hideously politicially incorrect

This is a quality I respect in an individual. These days we're so worried about phrasing things in such as way as to not to offend ANYONE that we often end up saying nothing at all. I do believe that an individual who is 'hideously politically incorrect' will have no trouble being heard.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Great example is if you go look at the Rantoul helicopter thread on Rec. Windsor was telling what happened with no sugarcoating and it riffled some feathers... but at least he stood behind his words when questioned.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

and Winsor isn't afraid to think out of the box. He has a little main and a big reserve. Reason was "if I had a broken leg or arm which would you like to land a 100 sq ft rocket or a big old 218". Beside this year he has a better picture. As far as being PC. I believe a lot of ppl need to get some self esteem and stop all the whining

a Vote for Winsor is a vote for the fun jumper

Bill

Winsor Naugler: . . . I can't imagine why any other jumper wouldn't vote for him.

Winsor's past invocation of "afro-engineering" and similar epithets troubles me and I chose not to vote for him.

I urge all jumpers to search Winsor's postings to the rec.skydiving newsgroup and reach their own determination as to his suitability as a public representative of our purportedly inclusive sport.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Who says the sport is inclusive? The process of natural selection itself makes this an activity with a built-in weeding-out process.

I read works published on various continents and over some centuries, and am fond of a turn of phrase that defies NewSpeak. I will not burn my works of Mark Twain in a knee-jerk response to those marginally literate elements that seek to serve as my conscience, nor will I limit my lexicon for fear of confusing those of limited conceptual capacity.

IIRC, there was some less than friendly interaction between D. James Nahikian and me, and I don't blame him for choosing not to vote for me. My impression is that neither of us is particularly impressed with the other.

To question whether my representation is likely to be evenhanded is valid, and I don't have a simple response to the issue.

I don't pretend to think everyone is the same - they're not. The distribution of characteristics between groups of people is decidedly uneven, and to pretend otherwise is an act of denial.

For example, I am a man, but I can give you a variety of responses regarding emergency procedures by women with breasts large enough to make locating handles a problem.

How do I know this? Because I asked rather a few women about it.

Were they offended? Not so far as I could tell; I think it was apparent that it was a straight question and I got straight answers.

Why do I care? Because it is a safety issue that affects the people with whom I jump.

I try not to mix my feelings with business. There are people that I like very much that I wouldn't hire. There are others that I don't like personally, but consider to be superb professionals, and would hire in a heartbeat.

As far as representation goes, I will not push for an issue I oppose. If someone I represent asks me to back regulation that I think will do more damage than good, I will decline to do so.

I've seen a jumper get an opened main repacked on the way to altitude (lying belly down in a Caribou) - by people with whom he might argue around the campfire - and he jumped without a second thought about their commitment to his safety.

If you think skydiving is a community activity where we look out for each other REGARDLESS of our stance on other issues, then you will likely understand where I'm coming from.

If you think skydiving should be a professionally run business, where customers are guaranteed a particular level of service and safety by virtue of strong regulation, you should vote for someone else.

The closest I've come to a personal attack related to skydiving is when delegated to give someone "the talk" when they've indicated they're a crater seeking grid coordinates. Even then, the point is that I've lost way too many friends for my liking, and that the penalty for the actions in question is all too often death.

It may be harsh, but since I'm trying to figure out how to make it to another funeral on Wednesday, I don't think the message deserves dilution.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Winsor is one of the better people I have ever met....

He already has my vote.

PC has its place....but the quality of the man is very high and he is more than able to represent me.

I like the man....and I have known him for 8 years.

If he called me to help him in any way I would...he has helped me several times.

A Good man, and a great choice.

Ron Hill
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

No need in searching Winsor's posts on rec-dot . . .
I've been involved in many of those conversations with Winsor over the past 5 yrs. As a matter of fact, I met Winsor because he was one of the few people that actually appreciated my "got rice?" t-shirt. Politically incorrect? Depends on who's asking, I guess.

Winsor is a man of integrity, honor, he's quick witted, and he's pretty damn intelligent. If those aren't qualities you want in a National Director, then don't vote for him. I personally think it'd be kinda silly NOT to... but I'm opinionated that way...

blues and go kick some ass Winsor!!
arlo :ph34r:

No need in searching Winsor's posts on rec-dot . . .
I've been involved in many of those conversations with Winsor over the past 5 yrs. As a matter of fact, I met Winsor because he was one of the few people that actually appreciated my "got rice?" t-shirt. Politically incorrect? Depends on who's asking, I guess.

Winsor is a man of integrity, honor, he's quick witted, and he's pretty damn intelligent. If those aren't qualities you want in a National Director, then don't vote for him. I personally think it'd be kinda silly NOT to... but I'm opinionated that way...

blues and go kick some ass Winsor!!
arlo :ph34r:

You? Opinionated? Come on now!

Hey, did you wear that t-shirt with your bib overalls and kasa? :P

Anyhow, I agree with regard to Winsor. Of all the candidates you can spend a vote on, he's one of the best.

Blues,
Dave
ABG#1
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)