1 1
cbain

Jump numbers versus time in sport

I agree with you. A skydiver with 500 jumps could be mostly low jumps from going out after he puts students out. I ask " what have you done in the air?". They could give you a line of BS but would have to live up to it if I jump with them. If you don't know them just go out and do something simple and see how they fly.

Well I've been jumping for 4 1/2 years, but have accumulated just 172 jumps ... tough to get in 10 jumps a day at a dz with just one C-182 ... I think over that period of time, I have learned more (from this website, too) than the jumpers who have been around 6 months ...

i'm in the same boat as frank... well he has 10 more jumps than me.........i may not have the jump numbers but i have seen alot of stuff at aot of difrent dz's.......still so much to learn though........

I think Mitch Decoteau only had 3 or 400 jumps when he started load organizing at Z-hills...

Someone with access to twin otters every weekend (or every day) will get a lot more freefall time then someone who jumps a cessna, exept for say two or three weeks a year... And it will show... I have over 2000 jumps but less than 20 hours freefall - where someone from Southern US can have over 30 hours at that point...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I met a girl that has been in the sport 7 years, has about 100 jumps, and doesn't know shit about anything skydiving related. I guess you can't make a general rule. When I started out, I spent the whole winter looking for information, reading it and asking the more experienced skydivers until they shooed me away, and watching landings. So after that winter, I had 6 years less in the sport but a whole lot more knowledge. I've met people with 500 jumps over a few years' time, that never really cared about looking up information.
But, I do agree that a jumper with more jumps, who is also current will have better freefall skills.