Skylark

Flying and Dying...

Stay scared. It will keep you serious about your gear checks and emergency procedures. Scared can keep you alive. B|

you're absolutely right. i'm no (i'm not sure which) psychiatrist nor that other... but what i remembered from my hyhschool was, that there are a lot of types of fear, and the best way is, when the fear makes you more concentrated!!!!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I've heard a few people refer to it as "door fear." Certainly when I was taking AFF, I didn't feel the fear rising up until the door opened and people started exiting. Then the reality of what I was up to sunk home and I got a bit nervous. It always went away the moment I was out the door, though. Freefall was and is about pure, unbridled joy!

I get that too... I'm still taking AFF right now, and my 'door fear' goes away while I'm climbing out and preparing for the exit count. I think it's the routine that helps dispell the fear. That, and the wind and noise helps.
--
Skydive -- testing gravity, one jump at a time.

Course, once I was out the door I was fine. Well, except for that right spin... sigh.

You too, huh? I have now made 8 AFP jumps and did ok on my first release dive. However, every jump since I have gone into a bad right hand spin. My last jump I was really uptight when the instructor let go of me and I told her after I landed that I wasn't going to jump again until I got some tunnel time. The spin doesn't scare me so much as the fact that I don't know what to do to stop it.

I will learn how to get stable because I have already become so hooked on this sport that I can't see myself not skydiving. I have no problems so far with the canopy part (I have stood my last two and have landed almost exactly where I was intending to).

The good news is that I was just told today that I will see an extra $750 in my next paycheck (net). Now all I have to do is figure out how to get to Orlando.:)

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

***... after I landed that I wasn't going to jump again until I got some tunnel time.

I probably need to do the same... But since I won't be in that area for a very long time, I'll just need to truck on.

My problem is that I was so tense... A problem I've been working on (positive affirmations go a long way -- "I will be loose in freefall, I will enjoy myself first, and concentrate on dive flow next." I'll get to see how I do this coming weekend. :)
--
Skydive -- testing gravity, one jump at a time.

Do you have videos of your jumps? My husband started spinning on his 4th jump, when you are supposed to be doing 90 degree turns. He did it twice, and then he did go to an AirSpeed camp in Orlando. What he learned about the spin is that it's leg position. I've since gone into a spin myself, and it's the same thing. You can see it clearly if you have video. If you find out about how knee turns work (I think most experience people use knee turns as opposed to arm turns), then you'll understand the principle, but basically, either one leg is extended more than the other, or one leg (knee or foot) is dropping below the other one. The best way I have heard to try to correct for this is a toe tap. You just tap your feet together. If they aren't level, they won't touch when you try bringing them together. If you can get them to touch, they will be level and the spin should not be a problem. So, I haven't tried this, but someone more experienced can help me out here if needed, if you get in a spin, to get out of it you should just need to drop the knee corresponding to the direction that you are spinning. Once you stop, be sure to level you legs out again. Oh, and ARCH! I've been told that being flat will hugely exaggerate any problems caused by leg position. If you arch hard, it helps to minimize the effects of bad leg position. If hope this helps, and if I need any correction, please step in. I'm still a student, too, and am really trying to learn about this.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

My husband started spinning on his 4th jump, when you are supposed to be doing 90 degree turns.

That is exactly where I am. We did shoot some video but it isn't real clear there what is wrong - instructor says legs aren't that bad, but may be the problem. I have decided that I will get to Orlando before my DZ reopens in January. I think that would be my wisest move. Thanks for the advice. I think another problem is that I am having trouble relaxing in the air now that I am spinning - just compounds the problem.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Everybody has some fear in the back of there mind each and every jump. If someone says other wise they should not be jumping. I had the same fear as you only I didn't want to quit. I had the fear that something was going to happen and I would have to use my reserve. I had such an addiction to jumping I would force myself out the door just to get my fix. I would pray the entire flight to altitude that everything would go allright. In addition I was starting to get a little cocky and reckless just waiting for something to happen.
On my 54 jump it finally did. It was my first jump with new equipment and thats all that mattered to me was to jump my new gear. In the back of my head I knew this was the jump it was going to happen and I was scared to death. Still all that mattered to me was the jump. I made the jump from 5,000 as my check dive for the A license. I through out at 2,500 and nothing happened. Instead of checking over my shoulders for a D- bag in a burble I just froze like a dear in headlights. At a little under 2,000 I heard a voice come screaming to me to cutaway and so I did. Come to find out I had a collapsed pilot chute in tow from it being hooked up wrong.
I still say a prayer on every jump, but it is to ask GOD that everybody on the plane have a safe jump. Your fear is natural and one you need to deal with. I have faced my demons in the sport and won. I now am a more safer skydiver than I have ever been. I still have the problem with the jump addiction to the point that I failed this quarter all because I was at the DZ and not working on school work.
Skylark you have a strong natural instinct to be a skydiver do some reflecting and look at your life as well as what you want to do with it. I hope that you win you battle and become a great skydiver. Blue Skies and my next jump is for you.;)

CSA #699 Muff #3804

i am 26 and ahve 11 jumps through static progression, into 30 sec delay. i get nervous every time i go up and the thought had crossed my mind too that id quit "after this one" too, but i keep going back. seems i get more nervous each time in a way, kind of feel like i cheated death the last time and it will catch me sooner or later. but, statistically, its no more dangerous than driving. statistics show driving 10,000 miles a year poses the same risk as 17 jumps per year. at my rate, my driving (especially mine!) and my diving are equal risks. last week as i was suiting up, a first time student didnt follow directions and slammed into the building and got a ride on the ambulance. then on the plane up, i was to be 3rd out the door. first jumper jad to use reserve, then boyfriend jhumped out to check on her, and he had to use the reserve. then i was up. after all that, i still didnt let it bother me. i get tense on the ride up, not scared. once out the door, the only worry is whether i'll pass my required tasks. havent had to repeat a jump yet. it would be bad if you didnt get scared early in your jump career, i figure. it is instinctive, and theres a difference between courage and stupidity. stupid jumpers dont worry about anything. you worrying suggests to me that youve thought about the risks extensively and probbly therefore know how to handle them. happy leaping!

never let anyone in your will pack your chute!
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!