gus

Relieving muscle strain

Last weekend (after a good ff jump) I tracked off, tossed out the pilot chute - and nothing happened! It can't have been more than 1 or 2 seconds delay but enough to be obviously different to my rig's normal deployment. As I was trained to do I twisted my body and looked over my shoulder to deflect some air over my back and get the pc moving, sure enough there it went and everything was ok.

However, since then my whole right side, starting at the base of my shoulder blade and running down to my lower back has been really stiff and occasionally quite painful. I can only assume that when I twisted my body I did it really quite vigourously and strained something. It's nothing serious but has anyone got any good suggestions for stretching exercises or something that might help to make it better? Deap Heat?

Thanks,

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Heat is good. A massuse is even better!:)
As to pc hesitations...why is it that we're taught to dip a shoulder and look over it to get it to clear? I was taught this method as well.

Wouldn't it be better (especially with the transition to high performance canopies) to just go a bit chest high and let the pc slide off directly overhead and thus avoid an off heading turn or line twist (read spinner) on opening? As a cameraflyer this is what I do now...sitting up in the harness a bit during deployment.

Just a thought...anyone want to comment.
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi Gus,
Best thing I've used is 'tiger balm', they sell it in the supermarket by the wind tunnel in Florida!! Hope you find this useful!!!
Seriously though, try and get some - it does the job and you can easily get to the bar because u smell so bad!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Best thing I've used is 'tiger balm'

They, also, sell it at Walgreens. Get the clear and not the red. The red will stain clothes. And, the smell isn't too bad.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

why is it that we're taught to dip a shoulder and look over it to get it to clear? I was taught this method as well

Have you ever jumped a spring loaded PC? That is where learning to do that came from, when I was a student I had a spring loaded PC get caught in the burble bad enough to hit me on the back of the head, I reached back and threw it out, but the method is still very valuable today with throwout PCs being the norm.

With highperformance canopies, the jumper should be able to steer his/her openings with harness imput/riser imput to keep the canopy from spinning up, or atleast keep it from diving/etc while its spinning up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

why is it that we're taught to dip a shoulder and look over it to get it to clear? I was taught this method as well

Have you ever jumped a spring loaded PC? That is where learning to do that came from, when I was a student I had a spring loaded PC get caught in the burble bad enough to hit me on the back of the head, I reached back and threw it out, but the method is still very valuable today with throwout PCs being the norm.

Interesting question. The shoulder twist is a holdover from the old days, and it still works, but with the newer canopies it might be worth considering teaching a head high attitude for clearing a pilot chute hesitation. The advantage is that it is the same procedure that a jumper will be using as he gains experience, and will reduce asymmetric openings, as was mentioned by the originator of this thread. The disadvantage is that a head high/knees low response could cause a student to backloop on opening.

As an AFF instructor I handled spring loaded hesitations by lowering the legs and lifting the shoulders, creating a symmetrical head high position, and it always worked. Of course I was holding and controlling the student so a backloop wasn't possible.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy