Gawain

Any Updates on CReW Record Attempt in FLA?

I was there on Wednesday and it was pretty impressive. They were hoping for a 39-way (FL state record, I heard) either Wed or Thursday, but by the time I left Wednesday PM, no joy. Schedule was for US/world record later in the weekend.

They were definitely getting some of the largest CRW formations I have ever seen. Very impressive to watch from the ground. Unbelievable how much weight some of those guys wear. Chris Gay is one who I saw. If most people wear a weight vest, he was wearing a three piece suit.

They had to MEDEVAC some guy out late in the afternoon due to a pelvis/hip injury, but they said he was doing well. A guy who saw it said it didn't look like he even flared. Even when they do flare, it doesn't look like much happens. Lightnings are definitely not high performance canopies.

CRW: Fun to watch, but I don't think it is in my future. That whole gift wrapping thing does not look like fun.

Introduced myself to Wendy Faulkner, but she was in her bubble of packing, jumping, and debriefing, so she probably doesn't remember. They were all busy dawgs. Good luck to them.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I've been e-mailing with one of the record attempters for an unrelated reason, and he mentioned this today (Saturday):

we set a new American record this morning. We built a 50
way and flew it for 25 seconds. we have repeated that number on two
successive jumps. Hope we go for the world record tomorrow.

Yeeha!
Skydiving is for cool people only

They had to MEDEVAC some guy out late in the afternoon due to a pelvis/hip injury, but they said he was doing well. A guy who saw it said it didn't look like he even flared.
---
He's doing well - got a pin in his hip.
--
Even when they do flare, it doesn't look like much happens. Lightnings are definitely not high performance canopies.
--
They actually can surf quite a ways - they just don't tend to stop their "downward" motion like freefall canopies - because that's not ideal for CRW.
--
CRW: Fun to watch, but I don't think it is in my future. That whole gift wrapping thing does not look like fun.
--
Don't knock it till ya try it. These were some of the healthiest big-ways I've ever been on.
---
Introduced myself to Wendy Faulkner, but she was in her bubble of packing, jumping, and debriefing, so she probably doesn't remember. They were all busy dawgs. Good luck to them.

---
Of course I do :-)

We built 5 50-ways in a row on Friday, getting everyone on the bench into a 50-way (85 people, 50 way being the US record.) Built a 56-way on Saturday, an unofficial world record (proper paperwork isn't there), and the only reason we didn't make a 64-way was clouds.

I didn't land off on a single big-way, we didn't have a single wrap/cutaway the entire time I was there. I was amazed at the healthinesss of the formations. It was an awesome time.

W

Gustavo was just here at work and I got to see some of THE most spectacular skydiving pictures ever. You guys did an OUTSTANDING job with that big-ass 56-way diamond!! The pictures gave me goosebumps. :) The break-off shots are phenomenal...I can't EVEN imagine the view you had.

Great job to all the crw dogs that participated. Man, you guys ROCK!!

blues,
arlo :ph34r: