tadbad

L.A. Area Dropzones

Why DON'T you swoop WITH us young 'uns anymore?

I would, but you guys don't start playing until after 8:30 pm. By that time my Geritol has stopped working. Hey, how about a hot game of strip dominos? Last one to lose their "Depends" is the winner!

Jack Gramley
Computer Consultant

I would, but you guys don't start playing until after 8:30 pm. By that time my Geritol has stopped working. Hey, how about a hot game of strip dominos? Last one to lose their "Depends" is the winner!

Hey, I was talking about swooping with us in the air, but we ARE starting to play earlier now that it gets dark so early.....so winter should be your time of year! :P

And dominoes is a cool game....
We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

I'm not saying that consorting with The Rebels is a bad idea, but it does take a special kind of woman to hang with them . . . breathing. At least the rumor is that they -are- that discriminating.;)

Check out their web site, but be sure to use protection.:D

Seriously . . . these guys are nuts.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I jump at both DZ's, love them both. I would really rather jump than post, but since the weather is iffy...

Perris has the Bomb Shelter (bar/restaurant) and Square One gear store.

NORMALLY---newer jumpers wanting safe RW attention are more apt to receive it at Elsinore. John Hamilton, the DZO, is legendary, a hot flyer, and almost always ready to go jump, coach and encourage anybody . He also has some disciples there who will do 2-ways and get you on the right track.

The load organizers at Perris are sweet, but not highly skilled at either flying or teaching and the loads tend to be zoo-like and can occasionally be scary. Perris needs to get more skilled RW flyers organizing loads. Sometimes you can find an experienced jumper who will pull newer jumpers together and really teach them something, but not often enough.

HOWEVER there is an event at Perris December 7th and 8th. Shannon Pilcher and David Van Grunigen, two of the best RW coaches in our sport, will be doing coached loads of all sizes and the promo says they can work with all skill levels. Check that out. Jumping and learning from those guys really means something in our sport. Call Manifest at Perris (909-657-3904) and get details. Also a nice way to meet folks for the weekend.

Be safe, keep it to coached jumps or 4-way and smaller regardless of where you jump.

Hammo -is- great and also a very smart businessman when it comes to seeing the long-term advantages of supporting an active and competitive RW environment. Ya gotta be impressed with his entire operation on that front.

I'm certain that if Perris had just one truly Open class team (lets call it +18 at the beginning of the season) that could perform those types of services it would benefit them as well. The problem is that Perris doesn't have the same advantage that Elsinore does -- somebody on the DZ management staff that is a current Open class competitor.

I know that if I saw an opportunity to put, say for instance, Christopher Irwin, on staff as an RW coach / L/O / DZ sponsored 4-way team captain, I'd do it in an instant with the deal being that he would have to work his butt off coaching and developing all levels of Perris jumpers.

Hmmm, ya know, he's actually available right now and I don't think he's made his mind up yet about what he's doing next season . . . hint, hint.

(Anybody think I'm being too subtle?)
quade -

I live in Arizona and I've jumped at both DZ's. Jak and his staff go out of their way to make sure you are at home. When I go to Perris I feal like I'm playing in my backyard. They have a great bar and restaurant. Someone posted about the zoo RW dives. I would have to agree that sometimes the jumps are adventurous, but all the LO's are willing to jump with you on a 2-way or some sort of smaller jump. I took my girlfriend to Perris with about fifty jumps and we only did 4-way. I've been to Elsinore a couple of times and it's been great every time. Hammo jumped with us for the Poker event and taught me more in 5 jumps than I had learned in 250 jumps with my friends. You really can't go wrong

David? Hell yes! And that's more than possible right now as well.

Imagine if David and Christopher got together at Perris what -that- would do. All you'd need to do would be throw in two more competitors of that level and you'd have a world class team.

Thrown in a new wind tunnel and tell me what that will do for business! Now we're talking!
quade -

Yeah, Pat is still here, but he's officially retired from 4-way team stuff. Something about having to pay the bills. Now he's tossing drouges and giving AFF. He -says- he doesn't really miss it, but . . .
quade -

It's not really -him- I'd have to convince.

Yeah, with that new house payment they've got I can't see Blue "letting" Pat go do hard core four way again anytime soon. ;)

ooohhhhhhhh, I hate when that happens.... but compromise is good right?:)

I think that there are a few people who are being overlooked on the DZ. Christopher, David, maybe Andy and Eric? Might not get 18 out the door but still pretty sweet.
Ahhh fond dreams of great 4-way back at Perris. The DZ NEEDS a great Open team. RW is becoming a red headed step child and Elsinore is picking up the slack.
Chris

Here's the bottom line on open-class 4-way jumpers at Perris: NO ONE TO PIN OUR HOPES ON!

Andy Delk: pitching drogues for the cash to develop that pilot thing, blew his wad on Vengeance, could do a sponsored team but isn't gung ho on givebacks.

Eric Jin: could do a 4-way team, but is looking at lower experienced jumpers like his mentor DanBC did.

Christopher Irwin: stated that his priority for next season is to do the swoop meets and do another player-coach team (the kind where you get paid).

David Van Grunigen: would move to CA, but needs to get back to Orlando regularly, has a young son. Hungry for a fast team but needs sponsorship. Will likely do another player-coach gig. Open to ideas from Perris and Elsinore. Apparently Shannon Pilcher has signed on with Majik for another season.

Patrick MacGowen: Yep, has that house payment. After a second season away from 4way also losing currency (but not natural ability).

Mike Kinsvater: Going big flying airplanes, but said he is doing a team with Raoul's wife Pam, other two are yet to be announced. Says it could be an open team depending on who the other two players are. We can hope for a Crossconnect Reunion (Pam/Mike/Andy/Eric), skills are improved and Pam knows how to get a team funded.

Kai Wolf: German, but willig to do a guest 4way team. Pitching drogues and rigging. A legend who should coach more.

Even if the tunnel draws 4-way back to Perris at the weekender/Advanced level, there's no escaping the fact that a hot open-class 4-way team is needed.

For fun or organized 4-way on the weekends, head straight for Elsinore, Hammo will hook you up.

Did some larger-size jumps this morning, chilly up there with the white puffies, writing to ya live from the BombShelter. The 4-way scene is so depressing I think I'll order a beer.

C-ya.

Hey Go Jump,

I must feel very strongly about your comments---I loathe posting and frequently give Quade a hard time about it--but since my name came up...

don't order that beer! Hey, at least you are at the DZ, I'm at home working (well, sort of).

As well informed as you are, you should get off your grippers and make 4-way happen at whatever level you are, at whatever DZ you choose. Let the DZ management know it's important to you to have Open-Class teams at the DZ and skilled LO's.

I agree, Hammo is a legend and has made himself accessible to all of us who love 4-way. Perris is home, it's awesome, and I'm sure 4way will re-emerge when the tunnel arrives. Aren't we fortunate to have two great DZ's in our area?

If you are around, check out the 4way we have going on this coming Friday at Perris with Shannon Pilcher, David van Greuningen, me, Chris Riley, and Erin Murphy; Andy Delk will be filming us and likely stepping in for some fun and I'm sure Mikey Kindsvater will be lurking us as well.

Don't give up hope! E-mail me if you want to make some 4-way jumps and I sure hope you introduce yourself at the "Out of the Box" camp next weekend at Perris.

([email protected])

PS---Crossconnect Reunion??

Tad, my very first post here was exactly the same topic. Emily Harris responded and showed me around Perris and walked me through the gear and license check-out. I hooked up with her posse and we jumped all weekend. Did my second night jump there too! Their facility, manifest, and aircraft are the best I've seen so far. (Eloy!)

Anyhow, I'm about 3/4 RW and belly camera, and 1/4 freeflier. The RW zoo loads at Perris spooked me. I hooked up with their RW organizer for four funnels.

Meet up with a volunteer from Perris to walk you through the check-out process (Yeah, Jack will check you out:P) and do some 3 and 4 ways with people more skilled than you. I suggest you resist the invitation to do an 8 way or larger.

I did some solos at San Diego out of their Cessna. Cool pilot, very, very slow during the week. I think BillVon jumps there on the weekends.

I haven't jumped Elsinore yet, but I'll get down there to meet the Shark-man eventually.

You can't go wrong with Perris, and the freaking gear store (Hi, Lisa!) will loan or rent you anything that's manufactured for skydiving. A huge plus as you're probably considering buying gear.

Have a safe trip!

I haven't jumped Elsinore yet, but I'll get down there to meet the Shark-man eventually.

Yep, missed the gang last time at Perris. My cameo appearance was for a couple of jumps only. Come on over to 'Snore for some R-Dub stuff; lotsa folks hanging and I'll intro you to the LOs, etc. Plenty of "chicks with grips.":)