billvon

USPA election candidate opinions

May I suggest we start with Skydive Chicago? Was Roger breaking any of our rules when he allowed "Rook" and Missy to begin skydiving? How old were they?

Slightly different case, but why not call Roger and talk about it with him. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

May I suggest we start with Skydive Chicago? Was Roger breaking any of our rules when he allowed "Rook" and Missy to begin skydiving? How old were they?

Slightly different case, but why not call Roger and talk about it with him. ;)

Actually, we had a nice email chat about this awhile back. Let's just say if he was running again, he would be getting constant flak from me. Pompus asshole.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I perused the USPA Governance Manual and found section 3-1.2.D.2 on page 40. "If appropriate, minimal editing of the biographical sketches by the committee is authorized to comform to the space available and to provide some uniformity of verbiage and presentation." (italics mine) This section seems to allow editing for reasons of grammar and punctuation, which, if read carefully, section 3-1.2.D.3.e also seems to allow for.

Lisa, you made it to page 40. Consider yourself in the elite of the membership. Many have no intention of ever opening that book.

Now, please advance a few more pages, to page 46 please.

On the bottom you will find this paragraph:

The USPA Nominations and Elections Committee is empowered by USPA Governance Manual Section 3-1.2.D to edit the biographical information (but not the personal statement) to meet space limitations or to avoid even the appearance of misstatement of facts. However, some or all statements are subject to exclusion if the 250-word maximum is exceeded.

Yes, that is an exact quote. I added nothing to it.

Page 40 deals specifically with the form you will find on page 45. Page 46 is, as it was intended, to be left totally alone. The manual even goes as far as to suggest the candidate print carefully or use a typewriter, as they shall be reproduced exactly as submitted.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Exactly what would you have them do? Say that the rules matter for you and me, but because a certain BoD member wants his kids to jump at the WFFC -that- would be alright? Gimme a break! THAT would have been the outrage.

Off topic question: why does USPA have a rule about age limits? Couldn't they leave this as a business decision to each DZ? If someone gets sued wouldn't it be the DZ?

Franck

Off topic question: why does USPA have a rule about age limits? Couldn't they leave this as a business decision to each DZ? If someone gets sued wouldn't it be the DZ?

When somebody gets sued in skydiving, everybody who is even remotely involved gets sued.

I seems to me like you are looking more for an argument than an explanation.

No. If I wanted an argument I'd go bait wildblue in the Talkback forum. I'm honestly puzzled why some people think an argumentative [noun deleted to comply with "no personal attacks" rule] is a better representative for me as a "fun jumper" than someone who is a professional skydiver or DZO.

Oh, and Tom, great post.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Well, that's really a good question. Personally, I'd like to see it be more along the lines of the FAA age requirements for flying gliders, but that's not really my descision to make. Technically, as I'm sure you're aware, there is no FAA age requirement for skydiving.

However, as long as there -is- a USPA rule, all USPA Group Member drop zones ought to abide by it, if for some reason, they don't want to abide by it, then they should consider removing themselves from the Group Member program.
quade -

Franck

First, when the DZ is sued, everybody even remotely involved gets sued, including USPA.

Second, if a child is killed in our sport it will bring the wrath of parents and the FAA upon us faster than than you can say "pulverized dead baby." We would be hit with rapid and aggressive legislation in half-a-heart-beat. A few years ago a girl about 8 years of age was killed in a small plane accident as she flew cross country with an instructor. It was the top story on every newscast and in every paper for days, and the FAA made a quick effort to add new age limits for student pilots so that children could NEVER again touch the controls of an airplane. That legislative battle took enormous resources from AOPA, and I hope we learned their lesson.

I don't know if 18 or 16 is the best minimum age for skydiving. Or perhaps 14. Or maybe 12. Or heck, the perfect minimum age might even be 6. Whatever. If there is no regulatory limit some dropzone operators will lunge for the quick buck and take little kids. One of them will be hurt or killed, and our sport will suffer.

Is the minimum age a safety issue? Probably not, but it is a survival issue. Perhaps we should move the minimum age from the BSR's to the organizational charter, or to the group member agreement. Perhaps we should make it waiverable for special cases like the children of DZO's, or when a special training plan is presented.

Whatever. I know I don't want to see 6 year olds skydiving. And I don't want to read about them being killed in our sport.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

A few years ago a girl about 8 years of age was killed in a small plane accident as she flew cross country with an instructor. It was the top story on every newscast and in every paper for days, and the FAA made a quick effort to add new age limits for student pilots so that children could NEVER again touch the controls of an airplane. That legislative battle took enormous resources from AOPA, and I hope we learned their lesson.

To be accurate, the FAA did NOT attempt to do anything additional in regards to age requirements in the aftermath of the Jessica Dubroff accident. It was Congress which passed the "Child Pilot Protection Act" which only restricts child pilots from participating in record attempts on 10/9/96.

See http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=104_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ264.104

The FAA is far more reasonable than most people give it credit.
quade -

The biggest issue is merely the release of liability forms that you have to sign at a DZ to jump, for their own protection. That can not be signed by a guardian for an idividual and if a person under the age of 18 signs it, it won't necissarily be valid in a court of law.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Perhaps, but I see no issues whatsoever in allowing a DZO to take his own child skydiving -- other than the fact that it's against the USPA rules.

Agreed. So leave it as a "rule" and make it waiverable. Allow it in specific individual cases but not as a business plan.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Again, that would require a change. Certainly not impossible, but if DZOs really -want - this so their kids can jump according to the USPA rules, then they should pursue it that way and not attempt to get exceptions when they're clearly not allowed by the current rules.
quade -

To be accurate, the FAA did NOT attempt to do anything additional in regards to age requirements in the aftermath of the Jessica Dubroff accident. It was Congress which passed the "Child Pilot Protection Act" which only restricts child pilots from participating in record attempts on 10/9/96.
See [url]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=104_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ264.104[url]

Amazing research. The specific element is number 602, for anybody interested.

The initial public/media outcry was for a complete ban on children flying. AOPA fought like crazy to limit the scope of the regulation. AOPA has far greater resources than USPA, and I doubt we would be able to hold off a similar attack.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

<<>>

I believe that is where it belongs, the Group Member pledge, not the BSR's. It's not a safety issue. The problem with it being in the BSR's is that a Tandem Instructor works one weekend at a non-USPA GM DZ and takes up a 17 year old, legal with the FAA and not a safety violation, then they can lose their ratings.

Just my two cents.

Alan "Buzz" Fink

<<>>

<<<

Agreed. So leave it as a "rule" and make it waiverable. Allow it in specific individual cases but not as a business plan.>>>

So what criteria will be used for waivering it? If your dad or mom is a DZO you can get a waiver? That does not sound fair to me.

Blue Skies!

Alan "Buzz" Fink

Agreed. So leave it as a "rule" and make it waiverable. Allow it in specific individual cases but not as a business plan.>>>

So what criteria will be used for waivering it? If your dad or mom is a DZO you can get a waiver? That does not sound fair to me.

It should be waiverable in the same way any other rule is waiverable. The person requesting the waiver makes a request to the BOD and offers specifics. The BOD evaluates the request and makes a decision.

The most obvious case for a waiver would be the kids of a DZO, but it could be anybody. Perhaps you have a 15 year old cancer patient that really wants to make a jump. You design a program that adds safety by starting with a minimum number of days of observation on the DZ, and then includes tunnel time and a computer based parachute simulator. The BOD could evaluate that program as well as the specific student candidate, and then make a decision. It's not unfair at all.

Now the big question...would the BOD ever choose to waive the rule, knowing that if there is an accident it could come back to haunt them?

-tom buchanan

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

<<<
-tom buchanan>>>>>

I don't think someone should have to request a waiver. I just have trouble with USPA making it a BSR. I think it should be placed in the Group Member Pledge if it has to be there.

It does the same thing without punishing rating holders for safely working at non-USPA DZ's.

Alan "Buzz" Fink

If he does get elected, we will have one of the biggest, best, and loudest mouths in the BoD

I agree with the first and the third points....

You are the second person to assume because I don't buy Don's waffle that I don't understand what he means. I can assure you I have quite the ability to grasp complex arguments and discussions. This one is rather simple, no need to bold anything in a post to me. Don said that if elected he'll "give his all" for us. Well, all we want him to give us is his unchanged statement before he sues.

He's loud all right. He just doesn't say much.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I'm not here begging for anyones vote and I really could care less if I'm elected or not.
I don't "want" to be on the Board.

all of the posters here should be able to read that statement and see exactly what it means.

Hey, Jim! Yes, I agree that what he may have meant, but uneloquently stated, however, let me point out another wonderful quote of his that reaffirms his decision in not representing us

Laughing,
You all disgust me. I don't want your sissy ass votes.

Sissy ass votes or not, I'm sure quite a few people on here will grant his wishes. Most people don't like not being listened to and getting weak attempts at insults thrown at them by a possible "representative." He wants to represent me, but he hasn't even discussed issues which I find important. That's fine. I'm not going to prod him and not get a response. Instead, I voted for the candidates who willingly offered their thoughts/information in which I agreed with.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I'm really interested. Someone break this down for me. ***

A fun jumper, as the term is generally used is, as you yourself said. someone who jumps purely for fun. That is to say someone who is not a student, an instructor, or a professional competitor.

I had fun when I was a student.