billvon

USPA election candidate opinions

theres a differance between a functional intellect and being able to memorize some rules.
the only buzz I see here is bad, kind of like walking under a power transformer that is buzzing really bad.........

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

He is complaining because they fixed his punctuation and capitalization.

Now he wants to sue the USPA because of it. It sounds like a good waste of my money. Thanks Don!

His attitude will be his downfall, not the fact the USPA tried to make him look slightly intelligent.

There are alot of problems with the USPA, and the only way to get them fixed is to change the BOD and get more members to vote. Its really pathetic that people would not send back their proxy last year so some of these election problems could be eliiminated.

Unfortunately there aren't enough skydivers out there that care.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

No one has questioned the statement that his submission was edited. And as several post on this thread show, that's allowed according to the governance manual.

His contention that the meaning of his statement was altered has not been subsequently backed up with proof, although several request have been made for him to post the original for comparision.

And any "inquisition" that you may feel Don is going through is of his own making. Nobody really cared one way or the other until it got to the point of possibly costing us money.

"Most Excellent Entertainment" for Treetop at the expense of the USPA membership.

That being said, (again), I'm going to refrain from further comments to his repeated arguments here and in recdot.

BSBD
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

Trivial or not, this violates the letter and spirit of the governance manual.

Ok. The point is that Don doesn't really care. You have posted/lurked wreck dot long enough to know that he is just doing his "Evil Empire conspiracy to get me" bs. I know you recognize this whole deal as nothing more than that.

If someone had changed the content to alter the meaning, there would be a whirlwind of heat from everyone. He has been offered that opportunity to prove that and declined in a most inappropriate fashion. The whole issue is a red herring. You've been around too long to fall into that one.

I don't see that Don should have to go through an inquisition about his statement.

Why not? He was the one who posted "Ask Questions". We did. A simple one. He won't answer. It seems to me that he is the one with the conspiracy and something to hide. He is a candidate, isn't he? He wants us to question other candidates. Why not him? He is only being held accountable to his own standard.

I am not taken with Don's style but I do not believe that he is a liar.

No one is saying he is a liar. They did change his document. I sincerely doubt he is lying. I sincerely doubt this is a search for truth either. This is just one of his games.

I trust the USPA a whole heck of a lot more than Don. Those people aren't perfect, it comes from being human. If Don is perfect, then he should start his own religion. However, I think they have done a good job protecting the fun jumpers interests.

Even if you think it's a tragedy to correct the errors made in his statement, I still won't vote for someone who is not wise enough to pick and chose their battles. Their are much more important issues that he has the opportunity to discuss here, but instead he decides to rant about the importance of his incorrect usage of punctuation.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

People - don't fee the trolls.

Don - please learn to use the Markup Language - I might actually read your entertainment.

This is just a message board on the internet.

The USPA is an organization that represents us. If you don't like how it's run, change it.

I will still be skydiving.

it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

arguement.jpg

My point is that I HAVE seen Jan Meyer's statement before and after editing, and I can't think for the life of me why it was edited (nothing that I could see related to the "consistency blah blah blah" get out clause in the governance manual (note: I am a college professor and I get to read and write a whole lot, probably more than the Parachutist's editors).

Following this precedent, I therefore believe that Don has a valid point, and it's not HIS job to fix it. His job was done when he sent his statement to USPA.

Do you remember the Mike Mullins nomination fiasco 2 years ago? USPA DOES have a problem with its election process.

"Following this precedent, I therefore believe that Don has a valid point, and it's not HIS job to fix it. "

That's kind of our point too. Except we want to judge for ourselves whether there is a problem that needs fixing or if this is just more bs. At the point, the judgement is well in place. So far, I haven't seen a problem, just avoidance.

>Following this precedent, I therefore believe that Don has a valid
> point, and it's not HIS job to fix it.

I agree; however, since he is the author, it is his job to show that it has been edited. If he wants to just show it to the USPA organization and not the members, that's fine, but it's not reasonable to expect members to take up his fight if he wants to keep secrets. And I think it is completely unreasonable to sue us over the issue.

urghhhhhhh!!!!

He's done it again. Way back at the beginning of this thread there was actually some interesting discussion about candidates and issues. That's been drowned out but Treetops rants. he has rendered this thread completely useless. Urghhhhhhh!!!

Wreck-dot was once a happy place with good discussion. He killed that, and many of us left. I'd hate for him to destroy DZ.com too. Sure, this thread has been mildly entertaining, but I shudder to think what would happen if he escaped to the rest of the site. urghhhhh!!!!!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'd hate for him to destroy DZ.com too.

I can assure you that will not happen. The odds are stacked heavily in my favor to prevent it. I have every intent to protect the character of the community I'm trying to create here. Anyone who do a bit of research in these forums will be able to understand my resolve around this. Here's a snippet:

I've been running this site for a few years now and have long accepted that it’s impossible to please everyone. In fact, trying to please everyone is a sign of mediocrity and you only end up pissing off the good folks. So, accepting the fact that some people will not like what I do and probably leave, I have to make some choices as to whom I'd like to keep around - I opted for the people who appreciate the character of the community that we're trying to create.

I stand by this. I don't care whether you're the "president of the brotherhood of I don't give a damn what", or whether you personally invented the self-folding parachute. We have very few rules here. They are meant to maintain an environment where anyone and everyone will feel comfortable asking questions and making comments without being spat at. When you come here you either adhere to them or you move right along.

In most cases, just being nice seems to work fine! :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

You guys are dealing with a twisted sense of humor here. The more Dave and Michele tried to coerce Treetop into posting his original statement statement the more adamant he became about not posting it. Actually he did post it or part of it on rec. Since I have read most of this thread, I am nearing reader burn out I'm, not going back to rec, to find it and provide a link, however I'm sure some of the more computer literate could find it rather easily using Deja or Google. Anyway, Don's main complaint is that he had capitalized certain words for emphasis and someone edited these words back to a more grammatically correct form. but, in the process, diluted the emphasis that he intended to provide.
Make up your own mind about Treetop but when casting your vote keep in mind that the BOD seems to run USPA the way they want to and that is not necessarily the way that the fun jumpers would like to see the organization run. Maybe it's time for a wake up call.

Make up your own mind about Treetop but when casting your vote keep in mind that the BOD seems to run USPA the way they want to and that is not necessarily the way that the fun jumpers would like to see the organization run. Maybe it's time for a wake up call.

prolly the single smartest thing said on this thread so far. Our sport is at a crossroad. I for one see a lot that i do not like in the uspa. It's time for a change. Don, Jan, M Mullins, Winsor, all will look after the fun jumper. I do believe some of the current board is trying. But after the reserve repack was blown, nongroup member dz's being charged for holding AFF cert classes, not letting the WFF have group membership, it's time to let them know we want our USPA to follow it's our own rules.

Vote for the fun jumpers, vote for freedom

But after the reserve repack was blown, nongroup member dz's being charged for holding AFF cert classes, not letting the WFF have group membership, it's time to let them know we want our USPA to follow it's our own rules.

Just a couple of points of order . . .

The reserve repack isn't one of our rules to change -- that's the job of the FAA. The USPA can certainly lobby for change, but it's not ultimately up to the USPA. I don't see where the USPA has "blown" the issue.

Lemme get this straight -- you want the USPA to allow AFF certification courses at non-group member DZ -- right? In other words, they normally don't want to have anything to do with the USPA, but in this one case they'll make an exception?!? What's wrong with our organization making a few bucks off of these non-group member DZs? I just don't see the logic in NOT charging them!

Uh, let me also see if I understand THIS one . . .

not letting the WFF have group membership, it's time to let them know we want our USPA to follow it's our own rules.

Uh, the reason they didn't give the WFFC a group membership is because they -DID- follow the rules!

Exactly what would you have them do? Say that the rules matter for you and me, but because a certain BoD member wants his kids to jump at the WFFC -that- would be alright? Gimme a break! THAT would have been the outrage.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm not here begging for anyones vote and I really could care less if I'm elected or not.
I don't "want" to be on the Board.

Your wish is my command.

Sangiro,
You, as well as most, if not all of the posters here should be able to read that statement and see exactly what it means.

Did you ever notice, in the political arena, the candidates whom are most rabid in their "I want to be YOUR representative, elect ME" comments seem to be the extremists?

Short answer, if a candidate really, really wants to be on the BoD, he/she is probably NOT the person I would want there.

Don is here for us. as he has stated before,if he does not get elected, no big deal, the $50 was well spent. If he does get elected, we will have one of the biggest, best, and loudest mouths in the BoD (in the name of the fun jumpers) ever.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

(in the name of the fun jumpers)

OK, someone now must explain this to me. Don is the voice of the "fun jumper." Right, OK.

WTF is a "fun jumper"? Aren't we all "fun jumpers"? USPA doesn't represent the military jumper does it? Nooooooo it's sport parachutists right?

Does the term "fun jumper" exclude those making a living in the sport? I guess they're not having any fun.

I jump purely for fun. I don't make a dime off this sport. In fact I spend many bagfuls of dimes to skydive. But I really can't see how Treetop is MY ADVOCATE, as a "fun jumper."

I'm really interested. Someone break this down for me.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I'll address the reserve repack tomorrow as I don't have the time tonight....

Lemme get this straight -- you want the USPA to allow AFF certification courses at non-group member DZ -- right? In other words, they normally don't want to have anything to do with the USPA, but in this one case they'll make an exception?!? What's wrong with our organization making a few bucks off of these non-group member DZs? I just don't see the logic in NOT charging them!

The aff course is NOT a GROUP MEMBER program. It is for the jumpers. This is exactly why we need to shut it (the group member peorgram) down. It's the good old boys club again. It's about money.

***Exactly what would you have them do? Say that the rules matter for you and me, but because a certain BoD member wants his kids to jump at the WFFC -that- would be alright? Gimme a break! THAT would have been the outrage.
[/quote

it was never a problem before. An outrage give me a break. It's about personal feelings on the board. plain and simple.

tell me is it a outrage to keep skydivers skydiving. I don't think so do you???????

I'm really interested. Someone break this down for me. ***

A fun jumper, as the term is generally used is, as you yourself said. someone who jumps purely for fun. That is to say someone who is not a student, an instructor, or a professional competitor. As Body Pilot points out, there are several candidates on the ballot whose platform centers around advocating the interests of us fun jumpers on the BOD. As you probably know, most of the present board members make their living from skydiving.

As you probably know, most of the present board members make their living from skydiving.

Oh, I forgot, professional skydivers are evil minions of Satan. That totally slipped my mind. I obviously can't trust someone who loves skydiving a lot more than me, enough to sacrifice a high income and normal life, to do what's best for the sport.

No really. Sorry to be so evil, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain this to me.
Skydiving is for cool people only

(in the name of the fun jumpers)

OK, someone now must explain this to me. Don is the voice of the "fun jumper." Right, OK.

I'm not Don, but I am a FUN jumper, and I want USPA to work for me!

One of the things I needed when i started skydiving, as I first attempted to become a FUN jumper, was good instructors and a safe student training program. I wanted to feel like the school I was attending was following a national standard. I'd like that for my friends too, and my future friends. That's something USPA can do for me, as a FUN jumper. Yup, making more FUN jumpers is FUN.

As a FUN jumper, I'd also like to have some outstanding teams around to help push formation skydiving, freeflying, CRW, and all the other forms of FUN. It would sure be great if USPA helped those guys to have FUN, so they can pass the FUN along to me.

As a FUN jumper I want to know that the FAA is going to treat me with respect, but otherwise pretty much leave me alone. Being left alone by the government is FUN, and I'd like USPA to help with that.

I don't want to worry too much about future regulation, or 50 separate state governments because that detracts from the FUN. So, I'd like USPA to maintain a great government affairs division so I can be left alone to have FUN in all 50 states.

Hey, it's FUN to not worry about what happens if I crash land my parachute into a parked airplane and do $20,000 dollars worth of damage, as happened to another FUN jumper at my local dropzone. I'd like USPA to help me have less worry and more FUN by supporting a good insurance program.

You know what, It isn't much FUN trying to figure out if a DZ is following all the safety rules, so I'd like USPA to do that for me too. Less worry means more FUN.

I always enjoy reading my Parachutist when it arrives. It's not something I do at the DZ, but it sure is FUN, so I'd like USPA to keep sending me that magazine.

Hey, this just hit me...most of what USPA already does actually helps the FUN jumpers.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

No really. Sorry to be so evil, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain this to me.

I seems to me like you are looking more for an argument than an explanation. What in my attempt at an explanation do you interpret to be an insinuation that professional skydivers are evil? Hell, some of my best friends are professional skydivers. I merely stated a fact related to the profession of present BOD members.

So if I take slots for doing the occosional Tandem video or even videoing RW, does that mean I'm not a fun jumper?
I'd personally rather have at least a bit of professional interest on the BOD since they are the people that have the most to lose in this thing. We only have a weekend thing... they have their entire livilhood on the line. I think a few of them need to go... but DZO's are'nt evil by default.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Uh, the reason they didn't give the WFFC a group membership is because they -DID- follow the rules!

Exactly what would you have them do? Say that the rules matter for you and me, but because a certain BoD member wants his kids to jump at the WFFC -that- would be alright? Gimme a break! THAT would have been the outrage.

OK, since the WFFC was denied a GM for a week or so (which, by the way, was NOT the way it was called by the Regional Director, the Executive Comittee denied it), then I believe the rules about underage should be applied across the board, on all GMs.

May I suggest we start with Skydive Chicago? Was Roger breaking any of our rules when he allowed "Rook" and Missy to begin skydiving? How old were they?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'd personally rather have at least a bit of professional interest on the BOD since they are the people that have the most to lose in this thing

Makes you a pro when your doing it for fun and money. Makes you a fun jumper the rest of the time. I agree with your statement about professional interest. I just think we need some balance on the BOD.