skymonkey

Wingloading Maximums

Over the last Few days there has been some real good discussion regarding WL issues as regards to experience levels. Not satisfied I wrote the USPA with some questions nad this is what I wrote..

"Just a small question? How come with all the rules and regs, we have with regards to skydiving, you (the USPA) haven't published any rules or guidelines regarding wing load maximums? It seems that more and more people get hurt under a perfectly good canopy and by your statistics I have read almost all injuries or fatalities are from a skydiver flying a canopy which is too much for them to handle under their experience level. We have so many rules regarding pull minimums and teaching a student how to fly ect ect... If we want to make this sport safer we need to start making jumpers follow manufacturers recommendations that they print on their parachutes. I really can't imagine we overlook such a simple fix.. I'm sure with a few simple rules and some mentorship, we may save a life or two extra each year, which is enough. This should come from the top on down and be pretty black and white."

The response was:

"Hi Miguel,

The USPA Safety & Training Committee and HQ staff members are currently working on these recommendations to add into the Skydiver’s Information Manual. We may or may not have a document ready for the next edition, which is due out in a couple of weeks. But we are all working on this issue, which is actually more complex than it appears on the surface. We would rather have a solid document to add to the Skydiver’s Information Manual, than rush to beat a deadline with something that is not ready for publishing.

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for sending the input. USPA will hopefully have some solid recommendations completed very soon."

Jim Crouch

Director of Safety and Training

United States Parachute Association

703-836-3495 ext. 314

703-836-2843 fax

I know to some this may sound like alot of political bullshit to some and I think it is not. Please don't slam Jim I put this so the comunity sees that there are steps being taken, and hey it's a step in the right direction. Lets wait for the dust to settle and see what our governing body comes up with..

Miguel Folch
PJ

"These things we do that others may live"

Living by the Motto...

While I dont agree with anyone deciding what canopy you can fly, I do agree that a lot of people are flying canopies they arent ready for.
This weekend we had a great example, and a lot of Humble Pie was eaten.
We held a Pond swooping weekend at Zhills, while a lot of people had great swoops, a lot of people ended up finding out what they were capable of. Just landing a parachute doesn't mean you can fly it, as a lot of people found out.
I saw some real good swoops from people flying stilletto 150's and I saw some horrible landings with people flying much smaller canopies.

The decision to downsize should have nothing to do with if you can land a canopy, it should be if you can put that canopy where you want it, when you want it "EVERYTIME". Everyone that wants to downsize, should look good and think "WHY" is my bigger canopy completely boring, do I think I will look cool jumping this smaller one? Why do I want to downsize. Rickster Powell did 1500 jumps on a 200+ sq foot canopy before he ever thought of jumping something smaller, with todays standards the trend is to fly the smallest canopy possible as soon as you can. What we get is a lot of people under canopies that they cant fly, they can land them but they cant fly them. Jumping a highly wingloaded canopy takes a lot more than people think, you have the responsability to everyone in the air with you, to make sure you can safely make your flight plan to get you safely on the ground without endangering everyone below you, and around you. Also landing where you want to is one thing, but doing it in a crowd is another, people need to have the judgement to decide that 270's and 360' maybe arent the best choice at the time, sometimes you have to land straight in, I have seen it 100 times where someone risked their life and other peoples because they had to hook.

Im just trying to point out that with a high wingloading, you need to be able to fly the canopy, the pattern, think of everyone around you. If you cant 100% be safe in the air with that canopy, you need to fly something bigger. WHen you can fly your canopy where you want to when you want to, and you are in total control then maybe just maybe you might be capable of going smaller. Just cause you can Land a canopy without killing yourself, doesnt mean you should be jumping that canopy.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I agree with you a hundred percent. I hope that the USPA does at the very least give some good recommendations that instructors can use to plant the good seeds in those students heads. I think your type of thinking should be what experienced metors out there should be preaching. I personally have seen you fly your canopy and can vouch for your experience.

By the way How is that skyflyer 3 flying.. Next time I come down I'll take you up on that offer to coach me on a wingsuit jump.. Is your face still red from that thursday jump? I can't wait to get bitten by the Wingsuit bug.. Take care, safe flights.. thanks for the reply.

Miguel
"the dude with the real bright jumpsuit" and canopy