CrazyIvan

Audibles choice

I've had the same "time out" for about 6/7 years and never had a problem with it.

Can not comment on Cool & Groovy's customer service, because I have never had to use it. Very tough and durable. Every year when I switch to daylight savings time, I go to Walmart for a new battery. It costs about $4 US (~$564 Canadian). I like that.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Its very funny when people walk in off the landing area after pulling a little low and the CCI just asks to look at their pro track!!

I personally know of one guy who won't jump with a ProTrack for that very reason!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Another good one is when people catch video of their alti when they've been low and then play it in the bar!

An even better one (not practiced by me) if you've opened low is to wind your alti up 1000 feet, film it, then put it back - undeniable proof!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I've heard their customer service is fantastic but I've never had to use it.

I heard a story about a guy whos dog ate his time out - George from Cool & Groovy sent him a free replacement with a note saying 'keep the dog from hell away from it!'
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Its very funny when people walk in off the landing area after pulling a little low and the CCI just asks to look at their pro track!!

Had the reverse in Ampuria once! CCI accused me of pulling low but had me mixed up with someone else with a similar canopy. I had actually opened at 3 grand to get back from a s****y spot! Showed him my protrack and all was well - he probably would have believed me anyway but it cut out any doubt.

Who cares if you went 120 mph on dive #500 but went 122mph on #501!! So what!!

I do! But then again, I'm a geek-wannabe.

I love my ProTrack. The days of adding up freefall time and logging after every skydive are over. I still paper log; with the ProTrack I can log at the end of the day and know that I'm not going to screw up the f/f time because I'm too drunk to add.

I had a Skytronic Pro and had a problem with it. Parasport told me twice they were sending what I needed to fix it; never arrived. Note that at the time my employers were a dealer for them...

OTOH, L&B customer service is the best. I know people who've gotten new units free based solely on their word that they broke or lost their original one. And the guys at L&B actually answer their emails.

Hey I do too, besides, that will make things easier for me, because I won't have to MODIFY the program I wrote (an electronic Logbook) yes, I'm a geek AND PROUD OF IT!!!

I think having stats about your jumps make skydiving even more interesting.

OK, just to stir it up a little bit, why go with L&B over the Parasport Italia stuff, particularly the Skytronic FX.

I believe the skytronic reports freefall speed in feet per second while L&B report in MPH. With a skytronic, you won't be able to compare speeds with otherpeople, nor will their numbers seem relevant.

Plus, and I can't say this enough times... you simply can NOT beat the post-sales customer support from L&B.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

i jump a skytronic fx and i like it.. it was $100 cheaper than a protrac and does basicly the same stuff...i don't need the extra bells right now and it was the same price as a prodytter...... it does mesure speed in mph!! and it autimaticly turns tself on and off so i never have toworry about it...... only thing i would like better in it is a first half and last half speed average instead of the total dive average....and the only bad thing...it always gets my deployment alti at when i'm under a canopy not when i pull...maybe it's cuz the canopy i jump opens slowly so it doesn't recognize the change as deployment until it's almost fully open....

"In your opinion, what AUDIBLE would you guys recommend?, just curious. "

Okay.....
Loadsa money, get a Pro track with the electronic logbook, pc interface etc.
lota money, get a pro track, it will record all sorts of useful stuff, but it won't actually improve your skydiving (if you were to spend the difference on coaching for example).
got money, buy a pro dytter
got money but would rather spend it on jump tix, get a timeout.
got no money but desparately need an audible, get a second hand pingly peep box.
I've had Timeouts, the old ones, the not so old ones, and a recent model (prototype), they ALL work fine.
I use a pro track, and a pro dytter regulalry (on my camera helmet), and have the time out for other stuff (its really small, so it fits my other helmets and can be swapped out easily).

I've never even seen a skytronic up close, so I know nothing about them.

In terms of customer support, I hear LnB are awsome, but then again, so are CoolnGroovy, I have never had any problems with either makers' devices, so can't honestly comment. Other than CnG are currently owned by a Scottish friend, so I would buy from them again......And George (previous owner of CnG) was also a friend.

I rely heavily on my audibles, its a throwback / bad habit from my camera jumping days, I seldom if ever look at my alti before break off.:$:$:$:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I second what everyone says about L&B's products and their service. Since I still had an older Skytronic Pro in my helmet, I continue to use it as my audible and have a custom ankle strap to house the Pro-Track, since the extremeties are best for accurate readings.

No, I can't hear it when it's down there, but it's great for complete jump history for your computer (if you have one). Otherwise, there is still a bunch of detail.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I jump with a regular Dytter in my Bonehead. I bought it off a guy for $30 with fresh batteries. Works fine for what I do- single tone to say 'wake up.'

Only problem is it has seriously impacted the amount of attention I pay to my wrist altimeter. I need a butt kickin' for that.

So, if you get one don't become sloppy.

Very interesting to read all the positive comments about L&B. I bought my first Dytter in 1981 and they have replaced several units when its predecessor quit working. Excellent service.

This thread has me feeling guilty about all the free units they've given me over the years...might have to buy a new unit come springtime.

Buying from L & B will likely be a purchase you'll never regret.

I have the new version of the Time Out by Cool N Groovy...it's realy thin, not like the old thick ice cube looking ones. it has three tones...break off(which is adjustable), min main deployment(2500) and holy shit your gonna die tone at 1500....the main and holy shit tones are not adjustable....

one thing about the dyter's...I could never hear those in my bone head millenium...just seems like the Time Out is ALOT louder to me...but hey YMMV...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

PRO-TRACK OR PRO DYTTER! THERE CUST SERVICE ROCKS!!I for got to remove my dytter from my pocket and washed it,And there it layed at the bottom of the washer!NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! It was like losing a child!!Call them up the next day and tolled them my story they said send it back we will fix it for free.I recevied a box back in a couple of day with a brand new one!!! They ROCK!!!!B|

PRO-TRACK OR PRO DYTTER! THERE CUST SERVICE ROCKS!!I for got to remove my dytter from my pocket and washed it,And there it layed at the bottom of the washer!NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! It was like losing a child!!Call them up the next day and tolled them my story they said send it back we will fix it for free.I recevied a box back in a couple of day with a brand new one!!! They ROCK!!!!B|

Now I know what I want for Xmas :P