xluckynumber7x

AFF: Do it now or wait until Spring 2014

I need some help making an informed decision on whether to start on AFF now or wait until spring 2014?

My concern is that after crunching some numbers and looking at my schedule / finances I will have just enough time / money to do my second tandem jump and all AFF jumps, but not enough to get my A license before the snow starts to fly around where I live (Next to YNP) and the DZ I'll be calling home (Skydive Utah, SLC). I don't know if they continue to operate in the cold there and will ask next weekend, but I assume they don't.

So with all that being said would it be wiser to just get a couple more tandems in this year and some trips to the tunnel this winter and start fresh next spring? Or would it be ok to push forth and complete my AFF and and pick up next spring where I left off? (<--- With getting to the tunnel a couple of times during the winter and maybe a road trip to a warmer climate to jump)

Here's my vote...

push forth and complete my AFF and and pick up next spring where I left off? (<--- With getting to the tunnel a couple of times during the winter and maybe a road trip to a warmer climate to jump)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Check with your DZ. I'd honestly be surprised if they shut down jumping altogether in winter. My original DZ was in Minnesota and we jumped year round, and I did some of my student jumps in the cold.

If you wait until everything is perfect you'll wait forever.
cavete terrae.

If you hold off AFF until next spring, why bother doing more tandems now? (and doing tunnel time outside the training program?) Might be better to save that money so you can keep the pace up next spring.

If I were in your position, I'd probably just start AFF now. In any scenario (you finish AFF or you don't finish AFF) you almost certainly will be required to do a recurrency jump with an instructor when you pick it back up in the spring, and that probably will set you back about the cost of a tandem. And if your AFF progression indicates a specific weakness that a tunnel would help, you'd make better use of your tunnel time by doing it close in time to your training with a known weakness to focus on. (And if you don't have any problems that would benefit from tunnel time, you can save that expense).

So, if money is *really* tight: put everything off until the spring (saves you the expense of a recurrency jump; so cheaper overall). If money is not so tight, and you are itching to get more experience, just start AFF now rather than wasting time on a carnaval ride to tide you over, as (IMO) you would be getting better value for your money.

Kalrigan

Start now, get at least your solo done this season and then continue where you left off next Spring.

Getting to the solo jump status would be a good break off point (and you could travel south if really necessary to continue with the cheaper post AFF student jumps). But if your budget doesn't allow for a failed AFF level, you could still fall short of that solo jump.

Tough call here, since currency and continuity is a key to success. But if you haven't done any AFF levels yet, how do you know this is what you want to do? You might be a bit annoyed at yourself if you scrape and save all winter and then find at AFF4 or 5 that you're losing interest in the risk/reward balance.

I am a big fan of waiting until you have the money saved up.

The students I've seen that have done that have then jumped more consistently and more often, have a better learning curve, and succeeded.

The ones who are scraping for every jump struggle to jump frequently enough to build their skills and have a much higher frustration level and drop out rate.

Also, my answer really has nothing to do with the weather. I'd be surprised if they close for the winter in Utah. If you can get the money together in January there is nothing wrong with waiting until January.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

So if you've decided to go ahead and do AFF, why futz around and do a second tandem?

That's $ for 3-4 solo jumps once you pass AFF. Plus you delay the start of AFF by a week (and so one less week you will have as a student to complete AFF before they close for the winter).

I can see the value of doing one (familiarize yourself with the experience of freefall, the visual sight of being under canopy, riding and exiting the plane, etc), but what do you hope to accomplish by doing another?

Divalent

So if you've decided to go ahead and do AFF, why futz around and do a second tandem?

Because some places now replace a couple of two-AFFI jumps with working tandems.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Not that it helps you, but this is exactly one of the reasons we offer free financing at my DZ. So people don't have to make these kinds of decisions.

I really dislike winter.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I would start now. You can always go south to keep current or get that last jump or 2 to get a license.

Waiting all winter would drive me up the walls in anxiety. Tunnel is an additional hobby and should be viewed as such.
The tunnel will always be there. I wouldn't spend my money at the tunnel until I had a good rig, that way I'm not tempted to skimp.

My 2 cents.