CornishChris

1st Rig

That is pretty good going - I was jumping a 288 on my training and am now on a 190 or 210 so I think I would have been a little confused as to what to buy that early on. At my home DZ it's 20 pounds to hire a rig for the day which isn't bad and I reckon I can pick one up for around 3K so I am in no hurry - I obviously want to make the right choice...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

i am looking at a rig right now and i have 37 jumps but i probly won't get it till early or mid summer.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I got my first rig at about 210 jumps. I had been beggin/borrowing gear since jump 30 or so. Sucks being a broke college student...On the up side, I got to downsize while borrowing gear, so I guess that saved me some money...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

hmm i think it was 17-18...my roommate hooked me up with a good deal (and a great Rigger) while i was bothering here about rigs i saw on the internet.

I LOVE my mirage.

thanks Sam! i know your lurking around here somewhere.;)

47.....would have bought one sooner, I was looking, but then it only took me 3 months from my first tandem to make that many jumps!

Just bought my 2nd one at jump #123 a couple weeks ago, and that was only because my uncle just got out of the sport and gave me an awesome deal on a Mirage with a spectre 150 in it (both in mint condition), which I'll be jumping for the next few years at least.

(By the way, I'm selling my first rig, it's a Talon 2 with a Sabre 170 in it, and a cypres.....anyone interested?) :)

We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

So how many jumps had you guys got before you purchased your first rig? I am on just under 40 and thinking about getting one at the start of next summer.

Just interested...

If you mean bought a new rig, I still haven't.

I owned a rig before I made my first sport jump. It was a B-4 with a sleeved 5-TU and the only use it got was a parasail, though I have it packed as a pilot's rig these days.

I owned a dual container rig with a square main before making my first jump on a square; my first square jump was an XL Cloud, the second was a Delta Cloud and the third was on my gear with no AAD. It was quite a day.

Getting new equipment while a neophyte doesn't make a lot of sense. There's plenty of safe, reliable gear out there that will serve beautifully while you are developing skills, and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Having watched someone break their pelvis in order to avoid getting their CYPRES wet, I heartily recommend jumping something where you aren't worried about the odd grass stain.

Getting an airworthy rig with a conservative canopy combination and plenty of life left in it makes the most sense from where I sit. When you later decide to get a CRW-specific canopy, or an all-around canopy, or a performance canopy, you won't be stuck with an inappropriate rig for which you paid a premium.

When you do get a more specialized rig, you may well keep your first rig as a backup. It can serve while the new one is in for repack, or for jumps where it is simply better suited. There are circumstances where I will jump a 220 sq. ft. F-111 7-cell over a 99 sq. ft. cross-braced canopy every time. When I show up at the DZ, I usually have both.

It is best to learn to fly with a canopy that is not likely to screw you into the ground at the first mistake. I know people who jump high performance gear exclusively who cannot fly a Cruise Lite anywhere near the limits of its performance.

BTW, if you are only going to have one canopy, try to get one you can land in someone's back yard if you have to get out over a residential neighborhood. It only has to happen once to matter, and I've exited a couple of airplanes abruptly when the pilot concluded that they needed some maintenance.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I had about 30-40 jumps before I jumped what eventually became my rig (it took me awhile to pay it off.) I searched around, talked alot with two of my riggers, and decided that it was a great deal for me (it was inexpensive and in great shape.) I'm very happy that I've put about 400 jumps on it with no major problems....talking to a very trusted rigger, having them evaluate me and help me decide what was best for me really helped me out.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I bought a complete second hand rig when I had about 35 jumps. Swapped in a smaller main after about 200, then put the main/cypres in a smaller container/reserve after 400. Hoping to downsize the canopy again in another 100 or so.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I jumped my own (used) gear on jump #27, my first solo jump. I didn't intend on buying gear so soon, but I found a great kit at a great price, PLUS the dz has huge rental rates. It just made sense to buy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

First rig on AFP 14 (about jump 18 or so), used. Just sold it (bought another used one a few months ago), and have a container waiting for canopies and AAD so I will again have a second system.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143