Kategal

This was weird.....

A couple weeks ago I was making my first night jump...the only part I was nervous about was that I wouldn't be able to see the ground very well and I might flare to late, so I decided to jump another womans gear because her main is bigger(235 Falcon). Anyhow, the freefall went fine, I opened about 3,500, cleared my brakes, did a right turn, left turn, and practice flare. The canopy looked fine but was turning me slowly to the right. I couldn't figure out what was going on...but to fly straight I had to hold my left toggle 3/4 of the way down. When it came time to land, I did like a half flare and I heard a pop...the landing was great...I even stood it up. When I told my instructor about what had happened he thinks that since it was my first night jump and I was all excited that I forgot to unstow the brakes. Iassured him that I had pulled both toggles down not once, but twice. He says that I must not have pulled them down far enough. I know that this is not true, because I did a practice flare up high. Now he is making comments like "Hey Kate, don't forget to unstow your brakes". It doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else? Could the steering line have been caught on something? I know I only have 70 jumps, but I have enough experience to know that I did clear my brakes! But, the thing I was most worried about(not being able to see the ground) ended up being the least of my worries. I was off the airport around absolutely no lights and could see the ground fine about 30 feet. I plan on doing another night jump this weekend, but I am using my own gear...and I am going to stall the canopy at least three times coming down just to be sure!!

a small flashlight (like a mag light) is beneficial to check your canopy, I use a smaller one rubber banded to the frap hat, it is handy for landing too. it's an old canopy probaly with dacron lines right? how was the excess brake line stowed -- using a rubber band? just curious.

taping a small maglight on your helmet is a great idea. if your jump went as you said, this is really nothing unusaul, it was probably just the brake line twisted up on one side or the other. that is what i would look for, on each side of the tail of the canopy before packing, just follow the outside 4 lines to the toggles, and work the twists out of them. this same thing has happened to me before. be safe, take care! B|

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

>I did like a half flare and I heard a pop . ..

The pop may have been a tension knot clearing. I've had a few on larger, dacron-lined tandems (520 sq ft F111 canopies) and they usually clear if you "snap" the risers (i.e. pull them down and let them go suddenly.) Such a mal would be hard to see at night without a flashlight.

Congratulations, I had my first night jump on 23rd of November.

Why didn't you brought a little torch/Maglite with you?
I illuminated my altimeter with a bicycle flash and
I had a little torch with me, although I never used it.
The chute opened, mainly that is enough information for round chutes.

Could you identify the dz?
We jumped at an airport next to a medium size (European dimensions) city and were looking out of the windows from the plan everybody was keep telling: that is the runway, wait no THAT is it, no wait... :-). I could find it.

OVER

We just got night jumping aded to our air operating certificate so I will be doing my first night jump next year. My biggest concern is judging my position relative to the dz under canopy when I can't see the ground properly. Any tips or useful information?

Tony
The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

I am not an expert, but I think it depends where is your dz.

If it is in the middle of nowhere (countryside), than the lights you see are the lights of the runway, hangar etc. in this case it is easy to find the dz. As I wrote our problem was that the dz was at a city so anywhere I looked I saw lights, of course it was beautifull. It is usefull to check the dz or the place where you want to land from the plane many times during the ride up. Even better if somebody takes a day and a night picture of the dz from a plane an than you can compare those before jumping.

OVER

***The canopy looked fine but was turning me slowly to the right.*** it could have been caused by the tention knot already mentioned or your left leg strap was a little looser than your right. This would have put more pressure on your right ride causing the turn. Try it sometime shift your weight in the saddle to one side, It should cause the canopy to slowly turn in that direction.

CSA #699 Muff #3804