bhammond

300 way very close

Thanks to "Crazy" and "Mikkif", I have now read their posts and no mystery remains. There is the XMAS party Saturday, I recall.

We always seem to stray on these threads, oh well.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

BTW, the mean stats are interesting, but what would really be worth knowing is the standard deviation, right?

Wait a minute. Is your math right? If you are saying that there is a 1:83 probability that a skydiver will make a mistake on a skydive, than would there be a 300:83 probability that someone would make a mistake each 300-way attempt? Or are you saying that there is a 1:83 probability that any given skydive will have a mistake made, in which case, that is their overall odds of success (have to go higher for level of experience and planning, down for degree of difficulty)?

I think you are saying the latter, but making it cumulative. There is no sequencing here, in other words it's like a coin toss. You can't say that there is a 24:83 probability there will be a successful attempt, but you can say that is it probable that 0.29 (24/83) jumps will have a mistake made. That can't be right. Are you sure about the 83 number?
:S

nerd alert>

Probability Factor: 2^20,000:1 against and falling!!! :S

Trillian?? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I've been at Eloy all week watching the event. Today (Wednesday) there were 4 attempts. The word from the organizers to the participants before the 4th jump was "Every part of the formation has been completed at least once, now go up there and do it again all on the same jump". Spirits are still high even though there will probably be some people replaced in the 104 person Base portion tomorrow. Most of the Whackers are building most of the time. The jumpers are jumping from 21,000 and are fighting extreme cold (jump 1 today the air temp at 21,000 was -15F). Lots of people on Monday and yesterday's first jump had their face shields ice over rendering them virtually blind on exit. Remarkably, there were and have been no injuries or deaths. There have been several cutaways, but all have landed safely.

To describe the dives, there is 1 skyvan flying lead with 13 Super Otters in a V-formation behind it. Today there has been a King Air flying above to take pictures. It takes about 40-45 minutes to get to jump run. In addition to the 300 skydivers there are 10 camera flyers jumping too.

I'll try to post some more tomorrow.

Blue Skies !!

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

In addition to the 300 skydivers there are 10 camera flyers jumping too.

Dayum! 10 cameraflyers! Would love to be a fly on -their- wall during debriefs and strategy planning!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon