bhammond

300 way very close

WOW!

(OK, a little part of me is hoping they don't get it until Thursday, so I can be there to see it)

Way to go...if only 5 people were out, then it already IS an unofficial new world record, right?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(OK, a little part of me is hoping they don't get it until Thursday, so I can be there to see it)

I hear ya there!!!

Way to go...if only 5 people were out, then it already IS an unofficial new world record, right?

From what chris said no...they have it bid as 300 so they need to get the full 300 in....

This is exciting....damn...I will be landing there in 25 hours....

Thats ok, then they go on to break that record...B|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If they get the record, will they continue jumping thru Saturday or stop and get drunk when they get their 300 and stop doing big ways?

I'm driving to Eloy on Friday (6 hour drive) and I would like to know if there will be anything record attempts to see on Saturday.

If the participants on a 300-way make mistakes, on average, only once in every 83 skydives, then the probability that there will be one perfect 300-way skydive in 24 tries is still only 0.5 or 50%

To raise the odds of success to 90%, each skydiver, on average, needs to be error free 99.2% of the time.

Just thought it put it all in perspective.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You know, I was wondering about this. At what point does breaking a record become statistically unlikely? (95% confidence, say)

BTW, the mean stats are interesting, but what would really be worth knowing is the standard deviation, right?

Wait a minute. Is your math right? If you are saying that there is a 1:83 probability that a skydiver will make a mistake on a skydive, than would there be a 300:83 probability that someone would make a mistake each 300-way attempt? Or are you saying that there is a 1:83 probability that any given skydive will have a mistake made, in which case, that is their overall odds of success (have to go higher for level of experience and planning, down for degree of difficulty)?

I think you are saying the latter, but making it cumulative. There is no sequencing here, in other words it's like a coin toss. You can't say that there is a 24:83 probability there will be a successful attempt, but you can say that is it probable that 0.29 (24/83) jumps will have a mistake made. That can't be right. Are you sure about the 83 number?

Sorry, I'm not really sure about any of this all of a sudden. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken quite so much Estacy before posting...:S

nerd alert>

Freedom -- Expression -- Spirit

Wait a minute. Is your math right? If you are saying that there is a 1:83 probability that a skydiver will make a mistake on a skydive, than would there be a 300:83 probability that someone would make a mistake each 300-way attempt?

Of course his math is right! ;)
1/83 chance to make a mistake means 82/83 chances to make it right. This is for every skydiver.
Put 300 skydivers together, the chances that everybody make it right on a given record attempt is (82/83)^300 ~= 2.6%.
This also means that there is 97.4% chances of failure on each record attempt. The chances that all the 24 attempts fail are 0.974^24 ~= 53%. Hence, the chance that at least one of the attemps is an actual record is 47%, close enough to 50%.
Is this nerdy enough? Or shall we also study the impact of individual skill levels on the overall chances of success? ;)
--
Come
Skydive Asia

Regardless of probability of failure to perform....
The record will build on the last dive, of the last day.....They always do...B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Regardless of probability of failure to perform....
The record will build on the last dive, of the last day.....They always do...

If they planned things properly, the weather has to be like shit on the last day (after an attempt hold for 1 second on the previous day) and they will complete it during a miraculous break in the clouds at the last minute before packing.
We all know they can do it and they have to be creative to keep the thrill untill the end ;)
--
Come
Skydive Asia

Damned null hypothesis. :S

OK, as a punishment for forgeting to multiply probabilities, I did a little math for some bigger-ways we may see down the road (please check my calculations):

Looking for 1:2 probability
Assuming same 1:83 chance of a mistake (any one person)
probability of all attempts failing = (1-((82/83)^waysize))^attempts

for each waysize, k = 1-((82/83)^waysize) is a constant, and
attempts required to have 0.5 probability = log base k (0.5)
round up

way attempts required
-----------------------------------
300 26
320 34
340 43
360 55
380 70
400 89
500 297
1000 127,370 :o

If I've screwed this up, my punishment wll be to calculate the level of perfection required in each participant in order to reach 50% probability of completing a 1000-way in under 100 attempts.

"If I've screwed this up, my punishment wll be to calculate the level of perfection required in each participant in order to reach 50% probability of completing a 1000-way in under 100 attempts. "

Nope your punishment will be explaining why there have been something like 100 (Anapa, Ubon Ratchatani, Chicago, and still counting at Eloy) attempts to build a 300 way already......;)

Statistical anomaly?:P

Hehehe, statistical probability explained....its the million to one shot that shows up nine times out of ten....:S;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Nope your punishment will be explaining why there have been something like 100 ... attempts to build a 300 way already.....

And no completions. Well, I'd like to know where the number 83 came from (and its std dev), for one. Seems pretty high for a skydive of this degree of difficulty, although the planning, preparation and selection of the participants might drive it up.

its the million to one shot that shows up nine times out of ten..

Or, it shows up the tenth time, and not again for another 999,990.

statistical probability explained....its the million to one shot that shows up nine times out of ten....

If you're one in a million, then there's a thousand people just like you in China.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

If I've screwed this up, my punishment wll be to calculate the level of perfection required in each participant in order to reach 50% probability of completing a 1000-way in under 100 attempts.

How about a spanking, instead?;)

At one time I was able to do this calculation (had to do it to get through grad school), but now find myself needing an explanation. Perhaps you could elaborate briefly on your calculations, even as they may be up setting (is that a pun?) the record at this moment.

BTW, we will be jumping that little 182 again this weekend.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

At one time I was able to do this calculation (had to do it to get through grad school), but now find myself needing an explanation. Perhaps you could elaborate briefly on your calculations, even as they may be up setting (is that a pun?) the record at this moment.

BTW, we will be jumping that little 182 again this weekend.

Harry

Harry: Both "Crazy" and "Mikkif" have explained it correctly. It's all about multiplying probabilities.

I can hardly wait to jump out of a Cessna again. I have to spend all day Saturday at Commencement, but Sunday I'll be there (weather permitting).