Scottyb

Waiting!!!

Hey everyone,
Today my wife and I had the day to ourselves (No kids)! So off we went to the DZ for our 2nd & 3rd AFP jumps. It was a beautiful blue sky with what we thought were mild winds. As we neared the DZ we saw four canopies floating to earth (that sight always gets me excited!) So we thought we would get our jumps in. WRONG! The DZ was on a "B" license hold because of the upper winds, ok we thought it's only noon and we were hopeful the winds would die down.

We watched load after load of the B or better licensed jumpers go to 13,500 and enjoy the ride while we were "grounded" hopeful our turn would come.
The load before the sunset load they called the names of the AFP students that were waiting all day and as the ground wind had died down I thought we would get one jump in, but the call was to inform us that we would not be jumping today:(. The way we look at it any day at the DZ talking to friends and getting to meet new ones is a good day. We stayed and had a few beers after the last load was down and wished everyone a happy Thanksgiving and we on our way. Our 30 day period is up on the Dec. 3rd so were a little bummed about it but we are going to try to cut out of work early Wed. to keep current :)
How do you guys deal with being "grounded" Were newbies and have been lucky every time we have gone & today is the first day we didn't get off the ground so I guess we can't complain. Sorry for rambling on. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Blue Skies,
Scott & Teri

The way we look at it any day at the DZ talking to friends and getting to meet new ones is a good day.

I spent quite a few days like that myself. Dealt with it just like you did. You always learn something even if you aren't jumping. I'll bet there were some B-license holders who stood down because of the wind. Those people are the ones I would pay attention to when it comes to what is dangerous and what isn't.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

You're right, the uppers were screaming today. On my first jump today we got out two neighborhoods north of the DZ - I'm not sure how far it is in miles, but it's a ways. On that jump we opened at around 3K almost directly over the DZ - that's just freefall drift. Imagine jumping a student rig and opening at 5 or 5,500 - you would have most likely been going backwards and been forced to land off the DZ, not such a great idea while on student status.

As for dealing with the waiting, it sucks. :) We've all been there before. I've found your best bet is to be there first thing in the morning, the winds are usually very calm then. If you can make it out during the week you'll usually get up a little quicker too.

Good luck,

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

How do you guys deal with being "grounded" Were newbies and have been lucky every time we have gone & today is the first day we didn't get off the ground so I guess we can't complain.

My husband and I did our first jump in the end of August, and it's been raining or cloudy/windy at least 3 out of 5 weekends since. So, we've been taking advantage of the days by going to the quiet dz and:

1. Learning and practicing how to pack
2. Talking to the other jumpers and jumpmasters (no jumping=people with more time to help)
3. Reading the dz's books and magazines
4. Learning about gear, wingloading, avoidable incidents, ect.
5. Watching skydiving videos.
6. Working on our juggling skills in the hangar :D If it's just cloudy - work on our football, frisbee, unicycling, and rollerblading skills.

If others are jumping, watch when they flare - how they fly their canopy - and just enjoy the view and atmosphere.

One bad weather weekend, we made the trip to Orlando's windtunnel - it helps so much! I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you want to fly better and be more comfortable in the air. (depending on their ages, your kids would probably like the trip/vacation, too - they'd get to see you flying - and, they may get to try it, too -anyone know the age limit? - and, there is a hotel beside the tunnel for only $35/night).

Of course, nothing beats a day of jumping, but I say any day at the dz (or just thinking about skydiving) is a great day.B|

Today was a better day! I had to make a pickup for work about 20 miles from the DZ & I called to see if they were jumping students today and I got the answer I wanted. A small detour from the job and I was strapping a rig on :)
AFP 2 went great and I'm sure the wifes will go great also.

Blue Skies

Scott

What's one day of waiting. I am on a winter brake now because of the snow and cold (!) but we have had to consider ourselves lucky if we have been able to squeeze in one jump per weekend lately. But it doesn't stop me from going to the DZ, even if it's raing on friday and saturday.