kingmonkeeking

MC-4

Curriosity got the better of me recently and I bought a complete MC-4 rig. DRMO, appx. 400 jumps. I will rendevous with it in March at Ft. Bragg. Yes I know I will have plenty of people to advise me when I get there, but I'm impatient. What happens when a 150 lb. guy jumps a 370 hollywood in Raefords wacky winds? Where can I get a single point release (or whatever it's equivalent is called) cheap, so I can jump a ruck? Any other particulars I should know? I already had it sent off to a rigger and all was in good order. I have 20 normal Army jumps and 100 sport, all with a BOC.

Have fun jumping this thing......,

Granted, they can be fun, and you'll probably get some funny looks when you go to the plane with this "cadillac."

You can probably pick up a single point release or a "spider harness" (same thing but is a different ruck containment system) at a local surplus store. They are hard to find, but ask the guy behind the counter, he'll know what you mean.

Also, just a tip from me to you, get some serious instruction from a MFF Instructor (active or former) before you attempt to fly with a ruck. They have a bad tendency of creating massive spins and flight problems if not rigged properly. (Practice getting off of your back!!!) It's definately not your average jump. Make sure he explains the procedures for lowering it properly. **Check with the DZO prior to doing any of this!**

As for the canopy, be prepared for a long, slow and steady ride down. The response time to toggle input is greatly increased, thus your turns and flare will be way different than you sport rig. Be prepared to count to 5-8 seconds for a easy 360. Get ready for a PLF on landing. Some of the older canopys like to settle down kinda hard.

Also, make sure and do a good "clear over your shoulder" after pulling the ripcord. Those big containers like to create a huge burbble and you might even feel the pilot chute and spring smack you around a bit!

Other than that, have a save jump. Just make sure you get some instruction on the ruck jump prior to doing it.

Curriosity got the better of me recently and I bought a complete MC-4 rig. DRMO, appx. 400 jumps. I will rendevous with it in March at Ft. Bragg. Yes I know I will have plenty of people to advise me when I get there, but I'm impatient. What happens when a 150 lb. guy jumps a 370 hollywood in Raefords wacky winds? Where can I get a single point release (or whatever it's equivalent is called) cheap, so I can jump a ruck? Any other particulars I should know? I already had it sent off to a rigger and all was in good order. I have 20 normal Army jumps and 100 sport, all with a BOC.

You can get a spider harness at just about any surplus store in the 'ville or better yet ask someone at the DZ to lend you one. No sense in buying something you'll probablly never use again. Why you want to jump a ruck is beyond me. You won't get too many weird stares t Raeford with that rig since they see them on a regular basis.

As it was pointed out, jumping with a ruck ain't no joke, all it takes is a shoulder strap to slide down your leg on a rear mounted ruck or for it to shift and your spinning uncontrolably. Talk to skymonkeyone(chuck) before you go doing anything so he can give you a JMPI and make sure you got everything straight.

As far as canopy control goes, it's a pig but a forgiving pig. They sink in nice, at your weight you can go into a full flare without worries and sink it in as far as you want before going back to full flight. I weigh about the same as you and do it all the time.

If you don't know how or haven't flat packed in awhile I'd recommend you give it a try. ProPacking a MC-4 is not impossible but unless you propack tandems all the time I'd recommend you flat pack it. Don't throw away the rip cord on deplyment, you loose cool points and it may prove slightly difficult to find a replacement quickly. Other than that have fun in a big ass, heavy chute. If you have any questions PM me.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Like Scott said. You will not get any funny looks at Raeford with an MC-4 on There are SF units here almost every day of the week doing contract air jumps out of our Otters and CASA. If I don't have an old spider harness laying around, I can certainly find one in about five minutes.

As far as packing goes, any number of monkeys around here can show you how to X-pack like they teach you in Yuma, or better yet just flat pack the thing.

I can sink an MC-4 straight down from quite high, even with a ruck ( I weigh 155 pounds). They are slow, deliberate barges, but get the job done. My dad uses slightly modified XX's and MC-4 DRMO rigs for his big students.

Chuck
MFFJM (among other things)

one more thing.....you'll need a lowering line for that ruck. Be sure you get a HALO lowering line and not a standard lowering line. The HALO version is shorter so you don't end up dragging an anchor behind you while your trying to land. Again, see chuck.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING