chriswelker

How much does it REALLY cost to SKYDIVE?

Cost...???[:/]
It costs you one of the DEEPEST commitments
you can make in life :|( if in fact you go PAST the
student phase of the sport)...
For some of us, it costs....the loss of acquaintances.:(
For some it costs.. the loss of some of our family and even spouses....and for some the cost is a MAJOR change to their entire (former) lifestyleB|.
But NOW the PAYBACK.... The rewards, the return on investment..;)...Well most of you do not need me to tell you that the return is a life ALTERING ,, and amazing... Catharsis,,,or rebirth..:ph34r:. For some it comes at a young age in their lives,, when they didn't even think they NEEDED to be "reborn",,
For some it comes at a later time in their lives,,, when maybe they WERE looking for something new, and exciting..:o But for ALL of us... the rewards,,, are SO significant,, that the cost,, is minor,, in comparison...;)
Remember also... there are other ways to "finance"
your skydiving passion,, besides the "almighty dollar".....If you are creative, gregarious, inventive, and willing to work....skydiving, can be paid for by everything from becoming a staff member, to packing for tandems and experienced jumpers, to working a deal with the DZO to "run a pushbroom every so often" or to find a niche at the DZ where you can generate, a few $$$$ or a few lift tickets,, each time you visit the DZ...:)Cost????? It has cost very much,,, yet very little.. compared to the "Rewards"....;)
Try getting that kind of payback ...
from your 401K....This year my IRA contribution can "go screw".:P.. I'm going shopping for a Sony VX-2000.!!! hahaha.:)

Skydive softly, Skydive often, Skydive with friends.

I think people should know exactly what they are getting into.

Ok, I was just kinda joking in my previous post, but . . . if that's the case and in the interest of full disclosure, what else should we tell a student walking on the DZ for the first time about the sport?

Hook turns? Drugs? STDs? Broken homes? Living in a van down by the river?

When it comes to talking to people about the full impact skydiving -could- have on their lives, I think the financials are probably the -least- important thing to be worrying about.

Paul, I stongly disagree with that point. Skydiving is a very dynamic sport in the fact that we need to stay current to stay alive.If new skydivers can not afford to jump enough to stay current they are a danger to everyone including themselves.

An a current AFF and Tandem instructor I get to have first contact with potential skydivers. When asked questions regarding skydiving I attempt to give the best information possible. When people ask me how much skydiving costs I do tell them that it is expensive, but that it is no worse than most other hobbies like boating, bass fishing, scuba, or owning a horse. I also tell them that if they do start skydiving they need to stick with it and stay current by jumping 10 times a month.Last but not least I tell that skydiving changed my life and that it is a sport that has to be experienced and not explained.

I just want them around to be able to do so.

I'm down about 14k. Yeah I'm keeping score, tho it kinda scares me to think I skydove away a nice little car in 1 1/2 years :$

That includes:
SL course (8 jumps)
247 jumps
(including some RW and CF coaching)
3 tandem jumps
pro-track+ jump-track
2nd hand time-out
altimeter
pro-tec
2nd hand frap hat
2nd hand Z1 fullface with bag
artwork on Z1 (now got a purple helmet with Garfield on it :)FF helmet (wanted 2 audibles, and my Z1 flew open once [:/])
bunch of goggles (clear, amber, mirror)
2nd hand freestyle suit
2 2nd hand RW suits
2 stock FF pants,
2nd hand FF suit
warmsuit (this was custom made, expensive but definitely worth it)
2nd hand style suit
bunch of gloves (summer, winter, thermo, webbed, some 2nd hand, never jump without them)
gear rental for 91 jumps (student stuff, downsize chutes, CF chutes)
3 hook-knives (yeah... I know)
2 logbooks
2nd hand gearbag
my own gear (2nd hand but with new stock canopy, with cypres, had some work done on it later including softlinks, new risers, new kill-line pilotchute)
repacks and stuff
one extra 2nd hand main I still have to sell

Not included: packing, travel costs, thermo clothes/underwear, place to sleep, etc.

And I am definitely NOT color-coordinated:
If I gear up for a typical FF jump I have white, neon yellow, forest green, teal, black, pink and purple :S

This is mainly Icarus' fault for letting me demo a white&neon yellow Safire when I thought I was perfectly happy with a sorta-matching-my-rig Spectre >:(

Oh well....

;)

I still need to find out if I can get my hands on one of our DZ's tandem coveralls, which are a matching neon yellow, for a FF suit ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Skydiving is a very dynamic sport in the fact that we need to stay current to stay alive.

You, of course, are talking only about the actual act. I was speaking in the larger sense of the lifestyle.

I absoltuely agree that when it comes to the actual act, yes, currency, both frequency and cash are huge factors. That said, I don't think it's the actual number of jumps a person makes per month that makes them current, but rather how much thought goes into each jump and what the person takes away from it.

For instance, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have somebody just go out and bang off a batch of hop-n-pops if they're not learning anything from it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll tell y'all something else: I don't have the nerve to hit the button that runs a total. The exact number lives in fuzzy obscurity while the rest of me enjoys the world's most rewarding and best sport with the coolest people.

Harry

Yeah, my husband and I started skydiving in August.... we now both have our own gear... and have kept all of our expenses in Microsoft Money...
We hate to think about the total (especially when multiplied by 2)- all we can say is it is worth every penny!

I had no idea that "just one jump" would change our lives completely!

This wasn't emphasized enough, so I'm repeating it. If you stay in skydiving for a few years, you will be attending wakes and funerals for friends.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This wasn't emphasized enough, so I'm repeating it. If you stay in skydiving for a few years, you will be attending wakes and funerals for friends.

My thoughts here,,, were absolutely referring to the people with whom skydivers,,, formerly spent their time..... and not referring to fellow jumpers...... as your post seems to indicate.....
Yes you are correct to bring up this subject,, since it is valid.....but it was not EVEN on my mind as I responded to this thread...I was talkin' about the "whuffos you might leave behind".;)..... My personal experience has been,, that of all the dozens!!! of such services,, I have attended for fellow jumpers and/or their families,,, over the Decades,,,, very FEW of them,, very few,, were the result of a skydive.....Still the loss of anyone is difficult.
kallend you make a good point , that all jumpers must be aware,,, that because of the seriousness of our sport, such a
possibility exists...