hagar

Real F-111?

In September. I'm still jumping the canopy I bought in 1981, after being out of the sport for a number of years. It's a Security Unit, and only has about 225 jumps on it. Slow and dependable and works great until I can afford to get something a bit more stylish. Then I'm going to bronze it.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Likewise September. Same reason, only it's a Firefly instead of a Unit.
And the round reserve in the same rig is also probably F111...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Unless you have a very old round reserve

Wouldn't that be silk?

That would be a very, very old round reserve. Silk canopies for the most part stopped being made towards the beginning of WWII. Plus, you have to get them repacked every 60 days in the US.

I don't know Bill. Most "very old" round reserves weren't F-111 or 0-3 cfm fabric. The some pioneers, security lopo, crossbow reserve, etc. were all 30-50 cfm fabric. More likely original phantoms, Pioneer K series, early FFE were F-111. Of course "very old" is relative.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The most complete identification would be PIA-C-44378B Type I. The only reason I correct people from using F-111 is to educate them that F-111 is no longer made. 0-3 (actual spec is 0.5 to 5) cfm is cumbersome Unfortunately many fabric specs have Type I through whatever i.e. Type VIII webbing, which would make "Type I" confusing. So F-111 is fine as long as everyone realizes that it's the same as calling all face tissue Kleenex. But "Type I" might be more correct, it's pretty concise, but we have to convert everybody. :S I guess that leave ZP and non ZP, with ZP being coated frabric.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The brand name "F-111" went out of production when George Harris died circa 1984. After George's death, a dozen other companies tried to copy his calendarizing process (hot rollers) with varying degrees of success. This led to the whole "mystery bulk" conmfusion of the late 1980s when different weaving mills produced F-111 like fabric of widely differing weights and porosities.
My last F-111 reserve was an F-111 Defender round reserve build by Mid West Parachute Sales circa 1983.