riddler

Figure 8?

OK, those of you familiar with the B and C license requirements have read about the "figure 8" - as in figure 8, backloop, figure 8, backloop within a certain amount of time.

Now, I always thought a "figure 8" was a left 360, followed by a right 360, spinning flat on one's belly, a full revolution each way. Or optionally, a right one, followed by a left one. Is that wrong?

The reason that I ask is that the requirements for the D license specify a left 360, followed by a right one. Isn't this a figure 8? And if so, why didn't they just call it one? Was it that they wanted you to do it in a specific order? The SIM doesn't exactly specify what a figure 8 is - at least I couldn't find anything on it. Maybe it's just too obvious for the rest of the world, and I'm an idiot (or maybe I didn't look hard enough ;)). I've asked a few people, and most don't know for sure, and I've actually gotten a few different answers on this.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated. I'm applying for my C this weekend, and want to make sure I'm doing the skills correctly.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

My understanding is a figure 8 is indeed a left 360, then a right 360 (or in reverse order). The only reason I can think of as far as why the D license is different, Is that I think they rewrote a small section to state that both the style series and the 2 pt 8way were required instead of Choose 1, and when they did they replaced figure 8 with left 360 right 360, but since the B and C were not touched it was not edited to remove confusion (Many people did not know what a figure 8 was when I asked them about it when I was getting my different licenses, hence the reason for changing it to just left 360 right 360).
Thats my best guess, but alas it is just a guess.
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

I'd have to agree with Watcher. The SIM is full of inconsistencies like that. When the SIM is updated, only small portions are changed. The writers apparently fail to go back through the entire document to find those inconsistencies.

Take this opportunity to vote for someone for the USPA BOD who is concerned about Safety and Training and wants to get member input before going final on such products. That's the only way we can get it updated.

Rock

Already voted! :)
Thanks guys - at least we all *think* we know :P Makes me feel better about my guess.

Hehe, reminds me of when I first read the requirement to do the figure 8/backloop thing, I went out on a solo to practice it, but I was trying to do a tracking type of figure 8. I couldn't figure out how I was going to get it under the time allotted... :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

OK, those of you familiar with the B and C license requirements have read about the "figure 8" - as in figure 8, backloop, figure 8, backloop within a certain amount of time.

In Canada we have an equally confusing scenario. The "international Cross" - sometimes known as a 'style series' (your description above) is a series of 2 opposing 360's and a BL can be any of the combinations, depending on what you call it. BUT, for OUR B you need to do a "manouver series" in 16 sec or less.

A "Manouver series" is L360 R360 FL BL LBR RBR. It's still 6 'manouvers' but it's a totally different animal. Off heading penalties are assessed as in style competition. For a CSPA C CoP you do the "style series" not the manouver series, but you must do it in under 14 seconds. Confused yet?

What I've learned in these 3 licenses is that you do WHATEVER the book SAYS you need to do on your exam paper. As someone else mentioned, just because one CoP exam has changed does not necessarily mean that the others have also been modified. And, so long as you obtain the correct paperwork (and study guide) you will be sure not to be practising the wrong skills.

... not that practising ANY skydiving skill should be looked upon as "work" :)
Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Touche, Drew!

See, even a bookworm can get confused. Memory knew it was 16 and 14 sec for B and C, but obvuiously YOU cheated and went back tothe PIM.

That said, wasn't THAT the point I made about knowing what you'd be tested on? daaaamn I wish we had some consistency ;)

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)