Auryn

Heart Rates

Here is a little info I'd like to share with everyone and see who else has done this.

A friend of mine has a watch that works with a heart rate monitor worn over the heart. It is entirely wireless working on radio signal from the monitor over the heart to the watch. sooo..

I wore it skydiving. Here is that data collected:

btw, Im a 23 year old male, 155lbs 235ish jumps.

resting heart rate, around 80 bpm.

gearing up: 120 bpm, fluctuating somewhat.

walking to the the plane, 155 bpm :)

climb to altitude and door couldn't be read because the radios in the plane interfered with the transmission of the data.

freefall, steady 177 bpm, checked 3 times.

immediately after opening: 188 bmp. highest recorded.

heart rate stayed above 170 bpm for the majority of the canopy ride.

150 bpm immediately after landing.

it took about 15 minutes after landing to return back to normal.

Anyone else done this ?? what kind of data did you get ?

Blue Skies !

Bryan

Did you or he ever try it driving? At rush hour?

*L* :D There are definitely days where I'd break such a device just from an overload of data! :ph34r::S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am not sure if skydiving increase metabolism, but adrenaline increase levels of glycogen and free fatty acids in blood. That means you don't feel hunger and you forget to eat.

If any of you "big-boned" skydivers out there wonder why you are still "big-boned" you are probably eating more when your body realizes that its storage of glycogen in liver is nearly depleated.
---
PCSS #10

Anyone else done this ?? what kind of data did you get ?

There is video of competition on ftp.
Winer was person who had lowest hart rate. It was their first jump if I remember correctly. I think that the highest hart rate was around 235.:o

I.P.

I have a resting hr of 60, and when I was sitting going to altitude for the first time - I thought, wow, I actually feel kinda calm - then, I checked my pulse and my hr was over 180 - just sitting!

I've been wanting to check my heart rate throughout the dive since my first jump - I'll wear a monitor this weekend (assuming I get to jump) and post the results.

I tried wearing a heart rate monitor once.
Most of the in-airplane data was lost when an IAD student crushed my wrist (and monitor) against the door frame. Ouch!
The only remaining data was an after-opening pulse of 70 bpm, lower than my normal resting pulse back in those days.

Can skydiving be construded as healthy now?
Can I get a note from my doctor to give my teacher saying that I missed class because he wanted me to make two skydives and call him the next morning!!
What a perfect world that would be huh?

I remember a report that came out last year that according to the AMA said that one jump raises the heart rate up enough to be equal to a 30min aerobic workout and that it was actually healthy for you.

B|Who said that skydiving is not an an-aerobic sport? Has anybody ever consciously checked if they are breathing while in freefall? I've been trying to remember to check for 15 years now and every time I land it is "Damm, I forgot to check again"

Cheers
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

The learning channel did a show a while ago called Adrenaline Rush Challenge. One part of it was an AFF level 1 jump. Each competitor did a level 1 jump wearing a heart monitor. Before the jump their resting heart rates were tested. Whoever had the smallest rise in heart rate from exit to touchdown won. Pretty interesting to see where first timers actually get the most nervous. I wonder how they'd compare to experienced jumpers.

If you've got fast internet and time to kill, you can download it:

/from tv/tlc-challenge.mpg and tlc-challenge2.mpg (96 and 60 megs). Someday I'll get good at compressing those. Any wmv making experts out there wanna share your favorite settings?

Dave

>Has anybody ever consciously checked if they are
>breathing while in freefall?

I haven't, been meaning to though. I'm pretty sure everyone breathes in freefall, since it usually requires a conscious effort not to!

I have consciously taken a deep breath a few times in freefall, to clear the cobwebs when I was having trouble getting into a formation, or spinning in a sit, or whatever. I also just tried to hold my breath and I only got to about 20 seconds without noticeable discomfort, and I couldn't hold it anymore at 45. So yeah, it's safe to say that I breathe in freefall.

sure... ftp://ftp.skydivingmovies.com/public/from TV/tlc-challenge.mpg and ftp://ftp.skydivingmovies.com/public/from TV/tlc-challenge2.mpg.

Right click on these links and save, instead of watching them streaming. It works better that way.

Dave

DUH! I went to the TLC web site looking for the clips:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here are the results from the Adrenaline Rush Challenge. There were 4 competitors. Their increases in heart rate from rest were:

The higest peak rate was about 237 bpm, on exit. One guy reached 233 just before his off landing. His heart rate was 186 at exit and 152 as he walked to the door.

Dave

Those are big files. REALLY big files:D

Why thank you! Oh. Yeah, files. Someday I'll compress em to WMVs and make them a reasonable size. Someday. Leaving my cable internet for almost a month tomorrow. Probably wont be doing much with the server during that time unless I can move files without watching them first.

Dave