skydiverek

Did this guy survive (on "Mike McGowan's Greatest Hits" tape)???

I watched Mike McGowan's tape "Mike McGowan's Greatest Hits". There is a clip showing low canopy collision between two jumpers. The lower jumper cuts away, and you can see his reserve starting to deploy (probably by RSL). The reserve reaches line stretch and and the same time jumper hits the ground (probably still travelling around 60 mph). It looks like the round reserve has not even inflated with any air.

Does anybody know what happened to this jumper???

All I know is he didn't die. I talked to Mike after I unexpectedly videod a fatality. Mike debated long and hard about putting that in his video. He finally felt it would/could do people some good to realize that shit can get serious real fast. I admire the fact he was willing to put it in there. He would never include anything that resulted in death.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

>He would never include anything that resulted in death.

Hmm, I know he's done video of record attempts, some of which had fatalities on them. To the best of my knowledge he did not remove the video of those jump(s) from the event videos.

I watched Mike McGowan's tape "Mike McGowan's Greatest Hits". There is a clip showing low canopy collision between two jumpers. The lower jumper cuts away, and you can see his reserve starting to deploy (probably by RSL). The reserve reaches line stretch and and the same time jumper hits the ground (probably still travelling around 60 mph). It looks like the round reserve has not even inflated with any air.

Tommy did not have vital signs when they got to him, but he impacted in the right place for continued survival. He had EMTs and physicians on him within seconds, and it is the only case I've seen besides Mike Vederman where CPR was successful.

Since his reserve managed to stand him up, his legs and pelvis served as a crumple zone. One of his ankles was described as "mush," and he was broken up pretty badly below the waist.

The last I heard of him, he had been on the road to recovery in a VA hospital when he contracted osteomyelitis. He apparently showed up at a DZ to do a tandem, and was described as pretty badly crippled.

I had expected to make a jump with Tommy on the day he impacted, and was standing behind Mike McGowan when the incident occurred.

I haven't managed to get in touch with him since, and hope he's doing well.

Blue skies,

Winsor

>He would never include anything that resulted in death.

Hmm, I know he's done video of record attempts, some of which had fatalities on them. To the best of my knowledge he did not remove the video of those jump(s) from the event videos.

Capturing the actual fatality is diffent than capturing a skydive on video that subsequently resulted in a fatality. Mikes video was Incredible. When you realize something very bad is going to happen, it's very difficult to continue taping. It's no longer for fun. The video I shot will never go on a tape either. The skydive that happened prior, has been shown many times.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto