AggieDave

Handle Touches/"practice" pulls?

Every single time. I have a good reason also.

On a load one time, I started giving gear checks. Found one friend had a partially-seated pin. Turned on anothers Cypres. Visual check of the chest straps, closing pins, leg straps, cutaway and reserve handles, hackey/bridle for everyone in my group. I do this every time.

No one checked mine. If I had not done my on-the-plane checks, I would not have found my chest strap problem, and I would have died. Skydiving is a very simple sport, but immensely unforgiving.

One thing....some women (and men with manboob's ;)) will not be able to see their handles..

I do not look, I check them on the ground and I check them under canopy to feel where they are...In almost all cases they handles will be directly below your chest strap attached to the main liftweb.

On my reserve ride I never looked I knew right were they were.

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I touch 'em all the time. I like the way the handles feel. Mmmmm Soft, firm, supple handles. :P You can bet I won't drop my cutaway and reserve handles after I use 'em.

Sparky

---------------------
Feel the Sparky

from the Slogan Gnerator:
http://www.thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=sparky
---------------------

Before my first jump of the day I sit and go through the entire jump twice, from take off to daisychaining and go through every scenario and thing that I should think of.

Then on the rest of the jumps I touch my handles and chest strap and practice pull a couple of times on the way up and one last time before climbout after I get my pin/PC/bridle checked.

-Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

i do it several times once suited up. im new to this, still a student, and the nervousness hasnt faded yet, if it ever will. i make sure everything is there, accesible, and functional once i suit up, when im lading the plane, and before i get out. when the plane is packed full of people, i ask someone just before i head for the door to look at my container and make sure a pin hasnt been pulled accidentally form being crammed next to another jumper on the ride up. call it paranoid, but i wont go out anymore without first having someone do a quicky check for something like that. but for me, at least 3 times i check things before a jump

doug
hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

I touch my handles all the time- For all the above reasons- and it sets a good example for the newbies, too- I like touching my handles- It's really fun to walk up behind a skychick and ask- "May I touch your handles? I'll let you touch mine If I can touch yours!

Easy Does It

It's part of "the three threes, three times"

Is this a common thing taught to students these days? Someone turned me onto it when I did some recurrency training.

Three threes:

1. leg straps (2) and chest straps/buckles secure
2. 3-rings properly rigged and secure, moving freely
3. 3 handles accessible (touch them all) and properly stowed

Do this three times every jump (not sure when, I usually just get one in on jump run, probably a little late...)

Sorry if this is repetitively redundant and boring, but I found it a useful thing...

Funny that I read this post, because I was thinking about this exact question while I was jump run earlier today.

I touch handles prior to boarding the plane while thinking about various EPs and I touch them on jump run every single time I jump.

At any rate, after touching my handles, I opened the door to the Otter and as I was spotting, I pondered on how many people go through the sequence every time. (and then I read your post/poll a few hours later)

Blue Skies,

Bryan

handle touches??? "practice" pulls....A RITUAL.

The brain has "lower memory" and "higher memory" In an emergency situation the brain can only access "higher memory". Repetitive training is great but repetitive training under stress stores emergency procedures in the brains "higher memory" ..so.. reviewing emergency procedures after your canopy is open- sky cleared around you from other canopies- perfect time to dirt dive malfunctions and look- reach- grab handles- pretend to execute pull. Also great time to look and reach (pretend to execute pull) is in freefall.

Re: LOOK- not only to SEE handles...(your eyes are your strongest sense)....LOOK and keep your eyes on your handles even once you've grabbed them- then follow through procedures of pulling (in emergecy situation.) If you look, reach...grab...then start looking at your canopy, the ground...whatever, thought process of your procedures and training shifts. (thought destroys the flow)

Just as I dirt dive prior to jumping, I dirt dive malfunctions, thinking through my reaction.
Whenever and however a jumper goes over emergency procedures isn't nearly important as
taking the time to do it.

Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I was taught the Three Threes done Three times

1. when I start to put my rig on
2. after I get everything on
3. at 9-10k

I also tend to look at others rigs alot

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

It's part of "the three threes, three times"

Is this a common thing taught to students these days?

It's not something we teach our students, but I tell licensed skydivers that it's a nice way to remember to check their gear.

Three threes:

1. leg straps (2) and chest straps/buckles secure
2. 3-rings properly rigged and secure, moving freely
3. 3 handles accessible (touch them all) and properly stowed

Do this three times every jump

Like I said; "the three threes, three times"

(not sure when, I usually just get one in on jump run, probably a little late...)

I usually do it once after donning my gear, once after take-off, and once before the the door opens. I may do it more often, but try never to do it less than that.
---
Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers